Hacking Guitar Hero III Username Hack

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking through the save for Guitar Hero III and found a way to edit the profile name for online use. This enables longer, uncensored names with punctuation allowed. For example, I made my username my e-mail address, so that if someone would like to play with me again, they can just send me an e-mail.

To do this, you need the Save Extractor and Installer.

After dumping the save to your SD card, you will find a file called PLAYERIN (WIISAVES\RGHE\NOCOPY).

Open it with a hex editor and search for the profile name you want to edit. Add as many characters as you like, but take note of the semi-colon at the end. The semi-colon is followed by a small portion of hex that marks the end of the name. For me, it's "CD E7 01 01". I haven't yet figured out if it serves any other purpose, but take note that it has to be shifted down when you finish with your name.

Use the Save Installer(it'll overwrite your current save) and you'll have an online name without restrictions.

Enjoy.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as I don't own those games, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Use the Save Extractor, upload the contents, and I'll take a look.

QUOTE said:
That's pretty cool, thanks for the info. I'm amazed this game doesn't even bother to CRC check the file. o.o

Normally, you couldn't even move the save from the system. The save file tools override all that.

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my ssbb save. I took a powersave and swapped the net0 and net1 files and it worked. But the only thing is that subspace emissary says J-FNG and I want it to be something else instead. I didnt include the net files but here is the save: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8bhx26

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EvilShenanigans! said:
Here is my ssbb save. I took a powersave and swapped the net0 and net1 files and it worked. But the only thing is that subspace emissary says J-FNG and I want it to be something else instead. I didnt include the net files but here is the save: http://www.sendspace.com/file/54lpo9

Considering I don't know what a powersave is, this isn't going to help much.

This doesn't look like a typical save structure. Can you extract it from your system using the Save extractor?

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did extract it from my wii. A powersave is the same as a normal save just with everything unlocked. It is the same structure as a normal save except the save was hacked to be 100% complete. Also every save extracts differently. For example, mario kart doesn't have any net0 and net1 files for friend codes. The friend code is built into one of the main files. So it won't look the same as the guitar hero save.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
EvilShenanigans! said:
Here is my ssbb save. I took a powersave and swapped the net0 and net1 files and it worked. But the only thing is that subspace emissary says J-FNG and I want it to be something else instead. I didnt include the net files but here is the save: http://www.sendspace.com/file/54lpo9

Considering I don't know what a powersave is, this isn't going to help much.

This doesn't look like a typical save structure. Can you extract it from your system using the Save extractor?

A Powersave is a save created by Datel, which can give you things like all weapons, all characters, etc. You can read more about it here.

I believe that they use some kind of encryption so the save can't be copied from their SD card to another, although that was cracked a few months ago. I don't know whether or not that would be causing this issue.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EvilShenanigans! said:
I did extract it from my wii. A powersave is the same as a normal save just with everything unlocked. It is the same structure as a normal save except the save was hacked to be 100% complete. Also every save extracts differently. For example, mario kart doesn't have any net0 and net1 files for friend codes. The friend code is built into one of the main files. So it won't look the same as the guitar hero save.

Fair enough.

So replace J-FNG with what?

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
g4jek8j54 said:
I believe that they use some kind of encryption so the save can't be copied from their SD card to another, although that was cracked a few months ago. I don't know whether or not that would be causing this issue.
I got the powersave in a data.bin form and was able to copy it from my sd card to the wii. I exracted the save and replaced the friend code files and installed it back in my wii. It works perfectly I just wish I could change the name.

Ummm, replace it with JR0ME with a zero, a 5 letter Jeremy.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that there are any strings in any of the files.

I don't know why they would encode the names, but it seems they have.

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I found the names gimme a min.

Edit: Ok well I took my old save, non 100% complete and looked for the name I put in when I started the game, which was JROME.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oz0c72

If you open up the AUTOSV0.BIN for the one I just uploaded around 00003DC8 you'll see *.R.O.M.E which is probably the name. Now if you go to the powersave to the same spot you'll see something like *0..&...' which I guess is J-FNG.

SSBB has 2 types of saves also, an autosave, which is what autosv0 and 1 are, and a normal save (idk which files those are yet but maybe the advsv ones).

Those encoded names might show up in more than one file and in multiple places in one file. That group of characters seems to show up in the beginning of ADVSV0.BIN too. Also that 14mb vff file might take a while to look through. Is it possible to do a find and replace for *0..&...' ? lol

This is gonna be a lot just to change a name. Maybe I should just leave it.

......I wish ssbb was more like guitar hero.

Oh and you can cross off banner.bin, filelist.dat, and wc24pubk.mod b/c they won't be in there.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EvilShenanigans! said:
If you open up the AUTOSV0.BIN for the one I just uploaded around 00003DC8 you'll see *.R.O.M.E which is probably the name. Now if you go to the powersave to the same spot you'll see something like *0..&...' which I guess is J-FNG.

Just so we're on the same page, which hex editor are you opening this with? When I go to that offset in Hex Workshop, it's a null.

@Sam, this might be out of your league... if you don't know what you're doing, do some research, don't just ask questions here and muck up the thread.

@Pikachu, Collect.vff might be a goldmine, if it can be decrypted and the contents extracted. Imagine having custom levels that actually look decent.

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Hex Workshop v5. Is there a way to make like a bookmark in that program so I can direct you to the correct place? If there is, idk how.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EvilShenanigans! said:
I'm using Hex Workshop v5. Is there a way to make like a bookmark in that program so I can direct you to the correct place? If there is, idk how.

That's odd... because I have the same version and it's not showing that for me.

You make bookmarks by going to Tools >> Bookmarks >> Add Bookmark.

To send it to me, you would go to Save Bookmark and it should make an external file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse