Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm by no means an expert at the Guitar Hero franchise. In fact, my first GH game was GH3 on the Wii. But the Aerosmith version is tough! I don't know if it's the overall complexity of the guitar lines or the fact that, being a kid of rhythm and blues style band, they don't play really tight rhythms that fit into the computer scheme.

I find myself listening to the guitar part less and just watching the notes go by thinking: "how does that match the guitar part at all?". I mean, it's close, but it's like the notes on the game are placed in the strictest divisions not taking into account the flexibility that the guitar player has within that framework. The Aerosmith style (especially the early stuff on the first few tiers) is just too organic.

It just doesn't seem to fit as well as GH3 did.

I'm playing on the "Hard" difficulty.

Anyone else feel the same way?

kokiri_link

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hooya said:
I'm by no means an expert at the Guitar Hero franchise. In fact, my first GH game was GH3 on the Wii. But the Aerosmith version is tough! I don't know if it's the overall complexity of the guitar lines or the fact that, being a kid of rhythm and blues style band, they don't play really tight rhythms that fit into the computer scheme.

I find myself listening to the guitar part less and just watching the notes go by thinking: "how does that match the guitar part at all?". I mean, it's close, but it's like the notes on the game are placed in the strictest divisions not taking into account the flexibility that the guitar player has within that framework. The Aerosmith style (especially the early stuff on the first few tiers) is just too organic.

It just doesn't seem to fit as well as GH3 did.

I'm playing on the "Hard" difficulty.

Anyone else feel the same way?

"Guitar Hero Aerosmith is hard!, harder than GH3 or Rockband "

I see the problem here....
tongue.gif
play on medium, then work up!

CosmoKramer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's WAY easier than GH3 on expert. I've gotten 13 FC's (100% without overstrumming) in GHA and wasn't able to to do that in gh3. The only thing that really makes gha seem tougher at first, are the ho/po's. You have to almost dead on with them, unlike gh3 where you can hold down the ho/po WAY before the note came. But you get used to that really fast.

NYCvinster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll have to agree with Skydoune & others. This is much easier than GH3, and I think they made a conscious effort to make the note charts more intuitive, thus resulting in an easier gamplaying experience overall.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm new to GH as well, my first one was GH3 bought ~2 months ago.

I never managed to get 5 stars on all hard songs nor beat Expert on GH3,
but I got 5 stars on all hard songs and beat Expert on my first try on Aerosmith.

GH3 was overcharted, and Aerosmith is almost properly charted IMO.

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CosmoKramer said:
Yeah, it's WAY easier than GH3 on expert. I've gotten 13 FC's (100% without overstrumming) in GHA and wasn't able to to do that in gh3. The only thing that really makes gha seem tougher at first, are the ho/po's. You have to almost dead on with them, unlike gh3 where you can hold down the ho/po WAY before the note came. But you get used to that really fast.

Hmm, maybe that's it.

Again, I just started playing GH3 when the fixed/stereo version came out in the US for the Wii, so I'm much less practiced at it than many of you are. I'm also not nearly as serious of a gamer as I used to be.

I do have a master's degree in music though...

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I figured out what was up.

I had to set the Audio lag to a whole 40ms for it to sync up right. No wonder everything felt wrong... when I played with the music the game thought I was super late. Now I'm hitting 5 stars on nearly everything on one go of it.

After further tweaking I found that 78ms gives me the best results. No wonder I had problems playing just straight repeated 16ths on some tunes...

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the GH3 game have a lag counteracter too? I have no idea if I'm getting it, but I feel I do get confused with how things roll when I play some tunes.

Despite that and the fact as a teen I did play the Bass(not guitar) for a year I have a hell of a time even doing normal. My pinky just can't get to and stay on the blue button well enough to be reliable on it. Mind you if this had strings I'd be fine as the pinky would just need to be near the edge, but that's how it rolls in this. Love the game, but don't see me ever doing hard or expert as I have no clue how to handle sliding around or whatever to hit that 5th button. I played GH3 a lot while the mono disc was in play, and I've barely touched it since I got the replacement. Recently I've been hitting up the DS game and that one is pretty damn good, and perhaps since I have no ide ahow to handle the 5th button on the console game it don't bother me only using 4.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a big fan of GH, I have played all of them and own GHOT, but nearly every review of the Aerosmith version talks about how easy it is in comparison to other games.

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
Does the GH3 game have a lag counteracter too? I have no idea if I'm getting it, but I feel I do get confused with how things roll when I play some tunes.

Despite that and the fact as a teen I did play the Bass(not guitar) for a year I have a hell of a time even doing normal. My pinky just can't get to and stay on the blue button well enough to be reliable on it. Mind you if this had strings I'd be fine as the pinky would just need to be near the edge, but that's how it rolls in this. Love the game, but don't see me ever doing hard or expert as I have no clue how to handle sliding around or whatever to hit that 5th button. I played GH3 a lot while the mono disc was in play, and I've barely touched it since I got the replacement. Recently I've been hitting up the DS game and that one is pretty damn good, and perhaps since I have no ide ahow to handle the 5th button on the console game it don't bother me only using 4.

Yes, GH3 has a lag adjustment setting. Do not trust the little target practice thing. It didn't help me at all. I found that setting the Video lag in GH3 and the Audio lag in GH:A to 78ms was the best for me and now I'm tearing through every song on Hard except for unexpected sections of some of Perry's solos. I have a Samsung HDTV. According to the great and all-knowing internet, since I'm using component cables I shouldn't get lag on most HDTVs, but of course mine had to be laggy. I'll blame the lag on why I suck so much at Brawl.
smile.gif
Your mileage may vary, but if you're not using component cables and you have an HDTV, you have video lag on your Wii. If you're using component cables it'll be less or none depending on your TV. Apparently all DLP systems have some lag no matter what.

I'm a competent guitar player although I don't play much any more since my focus is on another instrument, but that only helps a little. But with the lag compensation I can finally play that darned Through the Fire and Flames. Well... 60% on Hard before one of the solos finally got me booed off stage. The rest of GH3 is easier for me now too.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot which is component and composite...I'm bad, but it's due to calling RCA cables that, and no I'm using the nice $30 r/g/b and audio cabling for the system as I have a nice panasonic lcd hdtv. I had them prior to that on this Sony Wega that blew...it had a fake version of that but I did a tleast get a crispy 480i on the Sony.

I looked it's component I have...so I either just can't fully untrain my pinky from real or I have lag. I almost suspect lag because ON TOUR I can wing out better scores on easy/normal modes.

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From the main game menu, go to Options, Video, (calibrate lag) and set the lag to 50ms or so and see if there's an improvement. Really pay attention to the visual to see if you have to hit the note early (easier to see since you've probably been making subconscious corrections already). Play around with the setting, but you might have to go as high as 100ms to get it to match up just right. 78 was the magic number on my TV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1