OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've been working on a little project and I think I need a little bit of help now from you guys now. I've successfully hooked up a DDR pad (cobalt flux) to my DS. Now comes the software part. Take a look at these pictures:

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG

Now my big question. Guitar Hero was hacked to allow the gameplay without the grip. The DS buttons were substituted for the grip buttons. Is it possible to reverse that? I'd like to hook up DSDSR (the homebrew DDR/Stepmania) to my dancepad. Could there be a hack or a cheat code to reverse it? I know DSDSR is homebrew, but the coder is japanese, and I don't know if could get a hold of him and ask him to code support for the guitar grip. What do you guys think?

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol the DS looks so phucking tiny.
Would this work on a original Guitar Grip
rolleyes.gif

That's really nice though.
Wait isn't that pack you have the extension, like the DS Phat on in On Tour? does that mean, you can use that? :\

Twiggy12

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
wtfs up with that gguitar hero front cover? its horrible! if u made it its great! but if thats the retail version wtf i mean didnt it have axel steel or som guy playin guitar on front cover?

hehe dance dance revolution ds style....hook that up to ps3 xbox ps2 or wii then play thrue the fire and the flames XD that would b soooo fun
ph34r.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting work, I always like to see stuff like this.
Back to business I am not sure if anyone fully reverse engineered the guitar grip yet but what usually happens on a stock GBA/DS is the buttons which are pressed and memory sections change (this value is usually then copied to another section and then those are operated upon)
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#gbakeypadinput (GBA as it is simpler to get your head around at first)
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#dskeypad

Those extra pads from the grip will use a similar technique although I am not sure what memory section is used by the pad (or indeed if it needs some method to initialise it it the first place), if the cheat list/hack works like I think upon pressing a key the value is copied to the guitar register it should not be that hard to reverse engineer and "backport" (rather than copy from section to guitar grip copy from guitar grip to "stock" memory section. Cheat layout:
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#dscart...tactionreplayds
http://doc.kodewerx.net/hacking_nds.html#action_replay
Although not designed for it DSATM should be able to hardcode those cheats.

Good news is most homebrew is built with devkitpro so you may at least be able to infer something there:
http://www.devkitpro.org/

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, modding prowess.

By the way, the guitar grip is 12 bucks from DealExtreme.

But, the main problem becomes:

Hold DS and possibly lose balance?
Or
Leave DS on ground, and hope your eyesight is good.

Though I do like the outside-of-the-box thinking.

twede86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman: I guess this is as portable as DDR can get maintaining the same gameplay.
Alex: I imagine that this idea would also work for the original Guitar Grip, but I don't have one to take apart or see how it works. The pack I have is the cheap one from Deal Extreme.
Twiggy12: That isn't the box for Guitar Hero, it's just a cheap chinese box for the guitar grip. Through the Fire and the Flames sucks.
FAST6191: Thanks for all the info. Most of that stuff is over my head, but I'll look into it.
rendner: I don't really want to strum. My idea isn't to play Guitar Hero with the dance pad, but rather DSDSR. I guess I could also play Video Games Hero.
Trulen: I've got a VGA cable that acts as an extension from the DDR pad to the DS. You can actually see it to the side of the second to last picture. I'd probably put the DS on a table and use it that way.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Twiggy12 said:
wtfs up with that gguitar hero front cover? its horrible! if u made it its great! but if thats the retail version wtf i mean didnt it have axel steel or som guy playin guitar on front cover?

hehe dance dance revolution ds style....hook that up to ps3 xbox ps2 or wii then play thrue the fire and the flames XD that would b soooo fun
ph34r.gif

Twiggy, This isn't the actual GH product its a cheap knockoff for people who do not want to spend 50 bucks for just the grip.

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
link459 said:
Wonder now if it's possible to use a full sized GH Guitar with the DS... hmm..
It works for sure. Last GHOT Modification I did, was exactly that thing. But it's like "unplayable". I mean, you can play it, but hardly. Would be easier to map the touch screen via Arm7 hacking to another "button" and use the strum bar instead.

And DDR on DS would be fucking great. I love the idea
smile.gif

But why do you need the Sourcecode? If the Buttonhack on GHOT was done via Arm7 hacking, wouldn't it be possible to do something similiar with DSDSR? ._.

Twiggy12

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sstew said:
Twiggy12 said:

ph34r.gif

Twiggy, This isn't the actual GH product its a cheap knockoff for people who do not want to spend 50 bucks for just the grip.

yeh i know it aint real but still thrue fire and flames on ddr would be fun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse