Guitar Freaks! (arcade or ps/ps2 versions)

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Anakir, Apr 17, 2008.

Apr 17, 2008
  1. Anakir
    OP

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Anyone on gbatemp play a game called Guitar Freaks? It's probably the inspiration of Rock Band and Guitar Heroes since Guitar Freaks has been out since Psx. So for those who play.. how do you do on it? I wasn't so in to it back then, but I did play it quite often with friends. I recently picked it up again and started playing.

So my favorites: Captivate, Agnus Deis, Dragonblade.

I still can't complete Captivate. [​IMG]

I love playing the song Dragonblade. I normally score S on it. Not so great with Agnus Deis, but can normally get B's. That's my level of play.. yes I know I suck. [​IMG] A lot of people where I'm from can play level 70s at 7.0 speed with dark background and reverse.. I'm like.. way below average haha.

But for those of you who don't know what Guitar Freaks is.. it's basically like Guitar Hero. Instead, it's only 3 buttons, BUT do not think it's easy just beccause it's 3 buttons. It involves a ton more strumming (is this what they call it? I don't play guitar so I don't know the term). And it has various speeds and tricks. Plus the song choices are good because it has such a huge variety.. it's not all rock.

An example of my favorite: [​IMG]

2. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    In the arcades that have this game (very few) in my area the guitar controllers are always trashed. They do have the accompanying Drum Mania game though. Like DDR, it's gone through so many versions in Japan but not so much here in the U.S.A. Just not worth the money when you can play GH or RockBand at home. Never tried the PS2 versions.

[​IMG]
    I do like the 'unknown guitarist'.

You might like this site if you haven't seen it already.

3. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I played that a LOT, I loved Fire.

Cool game, I loved the fact that you could actually play with the control flipped so the buttons were the fret buttons and the analog was the string. Loved that game, IMO the concept was a lot better, I mean, for Guitar Hero Harmonix had to launch at least two games to hit the gameplay jackpot.

4. methodone

Newcomer methodone Member

I used to play Drummania (and guitar freaks some) in our local arcade...until the fucking student union shut down the arcade and sold the space to some stupid ice cream shop [​IMG]

5. Anakir
    OP

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    The place I live at has these games in the arcade. Lucky me. [​IMG] My place is packed with asians.. so it's no surprise. [​IMG]

Yeah, I've downloaded all the songs and simulator a while back. This is what I've been playing at home for a while. I love playing this. In my opinion, I think it's better than Guitar Hero and Rock Band as well. It just depends on people's taste. I love the interface for this game cause it's much easier to read.

6. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Ditto

7. HyoImowano

Member HyoImowano GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah, I used to go to an arcade in Nashville that had Guitar Freaks linked to Drum Mania, plus Guitar Freaks has had a bass option for quite a while, so it was basically Rock Band without vocals way ahead of it's time. I used to love doing bass on Moonlight Walkin'.