1. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Sooner than later, please.

Jonna, zoogie and Vorde like this.
  2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Dont no why yr comparing watching sports to video games - when someone watches a sport its because its ther team they support and so has a connection to tht person

3. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    A speedrunning community for a game that works together is very much a team, just like people support their teams for sports.
    You could say that people support sports teams because of the cities or origins of their creation, but with trading players I find that this is less and less of the reason.

4. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    Actually I watch a bunch of tennis - I have no idea who these players are or whether they're local or overseas. It's just fun to watch.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    I am tired of these copy right claims in regards to streaming media. It is streaming content rather than content for download or purchase physically on a Blue Ray or what ever. I hate the modern internet, everyone's finger is in the pie and it ruins the experience on MANY levels.

StrayGuitarist and Vorde like this.
  6. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Madagascar
    KNACK 2 the future. Almost game of the year.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  7. ChibiMofo

ChibiMofo NPC Chibi-Robo for Wii needs a fan translation

Canada
    I'm always amazed when "Guiness" is cited for any reason. They published a book of records for decades. So effing what? They aren't officially anything. You think the NBA gives a **** what basketball records Guiness lists? And neither should you. They aren't the authority on anything.

But something needs to be done to combat these over-arching takedown notices. I've got no issue with legit ones. But publishers like Guinesss need to be properly punished when they cross the line.

And over that line...
    So if you can illegally use someone else's IP it's okay so long as it was either done before the "modern internet" came along (aka the Wild West) or if you stream it? Sorry, copyright laws MUST be obeyed even if you are streaming. That's the law. Just because you can easily break the law doesn't invalidate the law.

8. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Speedruns are anything but an hour long
    Playing games, watching speedruns, both are wasting time

Didn't nintendo stop with the whole "removing gameplay of their games" thing?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The moment corporations started taking control of the internet is the moment the internet died. Now you need adblock to go anywhere

9. campbell0505

campbell0505 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Might be a stupid question, but why did they have the content ID set up for mario related content in the first place if they assumingly don't own any super mario content? I'm not sure if I believe it was an "error" but who knows.

10. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    i don't like to watch speed runner's but i watch people on twitch more then playing games. but still everyone wastes time in Real Life doing stuff they hate and don't hate....

Vorde likes this.
  11. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States

MANY civilizations lived without such laws. Besides copyright laws are now being used to hide and or alter history and therefore perspective. I.E. whistle blowers now have a harder time providing evidence if their evidence can be copy righted. It's a bad game to begin with and often leads to monopoly's as opposed to the little man's prosperity.

12. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    people who broke a record they know they broke it, no matter what youtube does toi t!
    So they are still the boss!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You cant play NFL in a house but you can play videogame of NFL in the house. So i can agree with him, its better to play than to watch videogames. Its ok to watch but its better to play as you only need to pick up a controller.

13. moto4mods

moto4mods Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You wouldn't read about speedrunning? Then why did you get so far in this post, you replied to it? A post ABOUT SPEEDRUNNING? and you posting tells me you read about speedrunning, your swinging a double edged sword without a handle, or hands to grab it by. Your the best, guy, don't change for no one.

14. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes;Gate

Antarctica
    >Wasting hours
    Just watch some 15~30 minutes any% or glitch% run and come back.
    I'll be waiting...

15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    upload a video of you playing mario odyssey with monetization on i dare you :P

16. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    YouTube? YouTube died years ago, its now Copyright Tube b/c Fck the content creators and their time.....

17. CPG

CPG not retarded trust me

Canada
    it's a good thing that i suck at video games!
    [​IMG]

18. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    You could make the same arguement in reverse, so it doesn't hold up very well.
    "Its ok to watch but its better to play as you only need to walk outside and pick up a football."
    The point isn't which option is more available, it's about watching others excel at something at such a level that it goes beyond any abilites you perceive as possibility to achieve yourself. That's where the respect and levels of entertainment come from.
    I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting to play instead of watching things (Hell I barely watch Twitch at all these days), I'm just saying that both sides have legitimate reasons for being options, and saying one thing is better than the other is subjective.

neotank19 likes this.
  19. neotank19

neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would add that I don't give a fig for what people watch/do with their time. I don't care to watch others play games, glad it's an option for people that do.

20. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    It does hold up because some people like to PLAY games and not watch them. It's simple really, i'm just explaining the logic of that. You cant argue the tastes. This conversation becomes pointless if you don't understand his point (or mine).

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - copyright, Guinness, hundreds