Do The Lizard Bop
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hungrylizards.net
XP
Country
United States
Public Votes and Puts Record-Setting Gaming Franchises Halo, Call of Duty and The Legend of Zelda at the Top of the List

1.) Halo
2.) The Legend of Zelda
3.) Call of Duty

NEW YORK (May 6, 2010) - Guinness World Records, the global authority on record-breaking achievements, today announced the all-time Top 50 Videogame Series as voted on by the readers. After receiving more than 13,000 votes, it was Halo, Call of Duty and The Legend of Zelda that were left standing at the top of the chart. The list currently featured in the Guinness World Records 2010 Gamer’s Edition notes the best all-around series including all titles and spin-offs, serving as a snapshot of the biggest names in gaming today.

Landing in first place is Microsoft’s flagship franchise Halo – the “Best-Selling First-Person Shooter (FPS) Franchise Ever”. According to the Gamer’s Edition, “Featuring an iconic character, excellent level design, perfect controls and unparalleled multiplayer options, the series sets the bar at near-unattainable heights.”

Call of Duty and The Legend of Zelda claimed the second and third spots, respectively. Call of Duty – the most successful entertainment launch of all-time – boasts beautifully balanced gameplay with jaw-dropping set pieces and extensive multiplayer options. The Legend of Zelda is credited for providing players of all skill levels addictive and immersive gameplay, while also featuring one of gaming’s most recognizable heroes – Link.

“We decided to take a different approach with this list than we did in the previous edition,” said Guinness World Records Gaming Editor Gaz Deaves. “Instead of asking developers, industry insiders and journalists to rank their favorite titles, we approached a different kind of expert: the players themselves! We are confident that this ‘top 50? more accurately reflects the tastes of the average gamer and not just the critics.”

The subsequent spots, in ranking order, are:
Guitar Hero (#4)
Metal Gear (#5)
Super Mario Bros. (#6)
World of Warcraft (#7)
Gears of War (#8)
Super Smash Bros. (#9)
Grand Theft Auto (#10)
Pokémon (# 11)
Resident Evil (#12)
Fallout (#13)
Half-Life (#14)
Sonic the Hedgehog (#15)
Counter-Strike (#16)
Runescape (#17)
FIFA (#18)
Kingdom Hearts (#19)
Final Fantasy (#20)
Pac-Man (#21)
Madden NFL (#22)
The Sims (#23)
Tomb Raider (#24)
WWE Smackdown Vs. RAW (#25)
Rock Band (#26)
LIttleBigPlanet (#27)
Saints Row (#28)
The Elder Scrolls (#29)
God of War (#30)
GoldenEye 007 (#31)
Bioshock (#32)
KillZone (#33)
Skate (#34)
Left 4 Dead (#35)
Need for Speed (#36)
Chrono Trigger (#37)
Gran Turismo (#38)
StarCraft (#39)
Ratchet & Clank (#40)
Pong (#41)
Tom Clancy’s (# 42)
Star Wars: Battlefront (#43)
Battlefield (#44)
Diablo (#45)
Lego Batman (#46)
Mario Kart (#47)
Burnout (#48)
Crash Bandicoot (#49)
Pro Evolution Soccer (#50)

http://www.wiinintendo.net/2010/05/06/guin...es-of-all-time/

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
gta and pacman should be higher

and fifa shouldn't be on the list (don't get why people find football so great, i would rather play pokemon)

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
LOZ
wub.gif

The Pi said:
gta and pacman should be higher

and fifa shouldn't be on the list (don't get why people find football so great, i would rather play pokemon)
It's called opinions.
Like you just gave.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
For a list claiming to highlight the best games "of all time" it contains far too many recent releases for my liking. Guitar Hero in 4? You're having a laugh
rolleyes.gif
I wonder what "readers" they asked...

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just seeing Halo at the top of the list makes me think they only asked 12 year old kiddies. I mean, Halo's not a bad game, it's quite fun, but it's definitely not the best game ever.

Also, is WoW a series? And Pong?
wtf.gif

D

Deleted_171835

Really?! I don't mind Halo being on the list as it's a pretty good series.
COD on the other-hand does not deserve to be on the list. Every 2 years they release a new version with a minor addition to the gameplay.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
Really?! I don't mind Halo being on the list as it's a pretty good series.
COD on the other-hand does not deserve to be on the list. Every 2 years they release a new version with a minor addition to the gameplay.
Actually, it's every year, sadly. Hopefully Treyarch can bring what little bit of good the series had back with Black Ops.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
The Pi said:

FIFA is soccer genius
tongue.gif
get the fuck out of the U.S. before people start grouping us together, you absolute idiot

Sh!fT_23

Trophies
XP
Country
TDWP FTW said:
Half of those aren't even series (Meaning they have one game), like WoW and Pong.
Ageed, WoW has expansions, doesn't make it series. I would of thought 'Warcraft' would have surficed being that that IS the series.....

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So some vote stacking assholes shoved Halo well too far up the list compared to some far more deserving, more profitable, and more recognizable franchise and stand alone properties eh? Seems like they got a gamefaqs.com character battle type vote bomb -- classy. 13000 vote sample and no validity backing such the small sample up makes me hate shit like this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte