Review Guild's The World Ends With You Review

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with this review, especially the gameplay part. Having to control the top and bottom screen is too troublesome, and the partner AI is a little stupid. And on some missions when you're supposed to use set pins that the game provides, the game doesn't provide any instructions and you'll just be randomly rubbing, tapping etc the screen.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
QUOTE said:
As for sound, its J-Pop. If you're like me, you'll get chronic diherria from listening to it. If you're a weaboo, you'll be changing your shirt after you've cumshotted yourself (since you'll already have your pants off from the anime characters). The sound quality is nice and the generic zips and bops are good, but it's very much just your general opinion on J-Pop.

My poor shirts!
I looooooved this game, not for the culture and japan stuff >_>
It was just an EPIC RPG, Best ive played in ALONG time, ive 100% finished it ALL! Mwhahahahahaha!

Overall, I like your review, I love the less serious sides lol
Your reviews are always like that, Lol at your pokemon Review, loved it

benjaminlibl

Funky Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I wish there was a "Subscribe" button for your posts.

I haven't gotten around to playing this game yet, so I wouldn't know if your review is an accurate representation. But at least I won't be disappointed, since I now know this isn't "THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE."

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I like your review, as always, and I completely agree with everything you say. I really can't see why people call this 'OMG DIS IS DA GREATUST GHEYM EVAR!!!11' It's good, nothing more.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jaems said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Jaems said:
DeltaBurnt said:
I honestly had grown bored of RPGs before I got this and this game was probably the last really good (IMO though) RPG I had played in a couple of years since Kingdom Hearts 1 (KH2 was good but waaaay too easy).
Sounds to me like you haven't played much RPGs.
rofl2.gif

I've played a shit load of RPGs, they're all the same thing except just a few changes on the battle system. Whether it's tactical, turn by turn, etc. they've all been done and not just once many many times. So playing this game with it's new type of battle system is like only drinking water for your whole life and then you try a soda.
Sorry man, but if this was the best RPG you've played since Kingdom Hearts - which is hardly an RPG to begin with - then that's about a 6 year gap of either not playing much RPGs, or playing a lot of garbage. It sounds like you need to make better selections, man.

In his defense, he never said it was the best RPG. He just said that it spiced things up. Sometimes people like drinking water instead of soda for a while.

Nollie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great review. Must agree with the steep learning curve as well as your comments about it not being the best RPG, though it is definitely a bit of fun.

For the whole top screen battling I could never get my head round it, so button mashing always seemed to work out well for me.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Nollie said:
Great review. Must agree with the steep learning curve as well as your comments about it not being the best RPG, though it is definitely a bit of fun.

For the whole top screen battling I could never get my head round it, so button mashing always seemed to work out well for me.

Lol, with the top screen, all you do is touch the dpad, for which way the arrows are facing.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jaems said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Jaems said:
DeltaBurnt said:
I honestly had grown bored of RPGs before I got this and this game was probably the last really good (IMO though) RPG I had played in a couple of years since Kingdom Hearts 1 (KH2 was good but waaaay too easy).
Sounds to me like you haven't played much RPGs.
rofl2.gif

I've played a shit load of RPGs, they're all the same thing except just a few changes on the battle system. Whether it's tactical, turn by turn, etc. they've all been done and not just once many many times. So playing this game with it's new type of battle system is like only drinking water for your whole life and then you try a soda.
Sorry man, but if this was the best RPG you've played since Kingdom Hearts - which is hardly an RPG to begin with - then that's about a 6 year gap of either not playing much RPGs, or playing a lot of garbage. It sounds like you need to make better selections, man.

Name one really good RPG (that came out recently of course) that brought in completely new ideas that no one had ever implemented into an RPG before.

And not just something like "Oh well this game has this small cool feature". No I mean like new stuff as in completely new battle system, settings, atleast a somewhat non generic story.

Oh and don't say Knights in the Nitemare because that title is so unique it's hard to classify it as an RPG at all.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Commieguy said:
In his defense, he never said it was the best RPG. He just said that it spiced things up. Sometimes people like drinking water instead of soda for a while.
I was referring to his first post. While he didn't exactly use the word "best," he said the "last really good since kingdom hearts" etc., which does sounds like he's saying "last best I played since," ya know?

And DeltaBurnt, I am assuming you played KH back in 2002, which is why I'm mentioning a 6-year-gap. I wasn't arguing over the innovation of titles at all, I was just surprised that Kingdom Hearts was the last great RPG you played before TWEWY. Because in that 6 year gap, we're talking RPGs like Neverwinter Nights 2, Oblivion, Baldur's Gate, and Fallout 3. And if you want recent, try out Odin Sphere, an surprisingly deep RPG with 2D side-scrolling action adventure mixed in.

Or, fuck man, Demon's Souls. Fuck that game is good.

But chill, because I'm not trying to start any which-RPG-is-better war.
cool.gif

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My I haven't played this game in a while... Maybe I'll pick it up again once I get around to finding my save for it.

MDMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It definitely is a good game, if not a great game, but certainly not the second coming of Jesus.

I, for one, would have hated it if it came out like four years ago. Since then, I had something like a truce with Japanese culture/Anime/Manga so I can definitely tolerate TWEWY. I actually liked the characters and the story, which is something that usually doesn't happen in a JRPG, for me at least.
For example: I barely remember who the heck was in FF IV and I played like 12 hours of it.

And I actually managed to like the soundtrack a lot, even though my musical tastes definitely lie elsewhere.

The battle system is well... a novelty, but I didn't really love it. It could use some improvements, like a more precise way of using the stylus, otherwise you end up using less than half the pins you find.

All in all, I definitely agree with the review and the final score.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jaems said:
Commieguy said:
I was referring to his first post. While he didn't exactly use the word "best," he said the "last really good since kingdom hearts" etc., which does sounds like he's saying "last best I played since," ya know?

And DeltaBurnt, I am assuming you played KH back in 2002, which is why I'm mentioning a 6-year-gap. I wasn't arguing over the innovation of titles at all, I was just surprised that Kingdom Hearts was the last great RPG you played before TWEWY. Because in that 6 year gap, we're talking RPGs like Neverwinter Nights 2, Oblivion, Baldur's Gate, and Fallout 3. And if you want recent, try out Odin Sphere, an surprisingly deep RPG with 2D side-scrolling action adventure mixed in.

Or, fuck man, Demon's Souls. Fuck that game is good.

But chill, because I'm not trying to start any which-RPG-is-better war.
cool.gif

Yes but Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Baldur's Gate had been done by their earlier versions (Neverwinter Nights 1, Elder Scrolls 3, the original Baldur's Gate) before KH came out. And while they are good games they don't bring completely unique new ideas.

I'll let you have Fallout 3 as a win but I was hoping for something a little more.

Also Demon's Souls from what I heard isn't new and interesting just really hard.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright man, I don't think you read my post well enough, because I said I wasn't talking about innovation. I was just noting some amazing games within 2002-2008.

Nonetheless, your argument is pretty silly. Have you played the original Balder Gate 1 & 2? They weren't "good" they were FUCKING AMAZING. And the only thing they didn't do that was completely new and unique was that they didn't create the RPG genre.
rolleyes.gif
Also, Baldurs Gate pretty much began dialogue-affected gameplay, which eventually lead to moral systems.

For that matter, Kingdom Hearts brought nothing new to the table anyhow. The RPG elements and story were quite shallow, and it was a button-mashing, action-adventure game not unlike any other. Except you had Disney characters, and sadly enough, they were more interesting than the Square characters.
And while I liked TWEWY for its new battle system, it wasn't exactly ground-breaking, and I don't think it's made much of an influence.

And Demon's Souls isn't exactly new, but it's fantastic, and one of the most rewarding games of all time. That makes up for it, imo.

okay, that's the end of it. don't wanna keep this going in a review thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.