Guild's 3.000th Post Blog!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any of you know, every 1,000 posts I get I make a big, long winded blog. The first time was a GBAtemp retrospective, the second time was a get to know me thing, and this time it's just some future GBAtemp aspirations as well as the announcement of some new, personal projects. Oh, and other random blog stuff. IT'S AN EXTRAVAGANZA!

So, the first big thing I'll be announcing is the start of my own personal editorials...

Guilditorials!

I know I haven't been here for the longest of times so I can't say "I remember back in the day on GBAtemp..." (although I do), but I still remember my early days here. There was a lot of easy, lighthearted discussion that had plenty of friendly arguing and stuff you'd expect from a good forum. It seems like a lot of that stuff is gone now. I know most of this is because people have lives to get to, but I still miss it. Like the Retro Reviews and other staff articles, as well as things like Wii/DS Games of the Week. I kinda brought back the Wii/DS Games of the Week thing with a "Of the Month" version, but there's still a whole for Retro Reviews and other things. I won't be doing Retro Reviews, since I'm still just a kiddie, but I will be doing opinion pieces. Here's some future topics:

- Mature Games on the Wii
- General Misconceptions and Stereotypes (for video game consoles)
- Top 25 Wii/DS Games of All Time
- Hardcore vs. Casual
- The Future of Video Gaming

And so on. Expect the Mature Games one to be popping up in the Wii section sometime soon. I hope these sincerely spark some FRIENDLY discussion, not shit tossing. Since a lot of the friendly discussion seems to be shit tossing nowadays.

The next project is *drum roll*

GBATEMP WIKI IMPROVEMENT PROJECT!

For far too long, the Wiki has been underused and outdated, and its a shame. Wikis are a great way to convey information and even do some discussion. Hell, before I joined GBAtemp, I was a member of a Wiki for years. That Wiki did go down the drain eventually, but that's because of an incompetent moderator staff and shithead trolls who were too "popular" with the Wiki to get any reasonable punishment. Oh yeah, and I left because I stopped playing Guild Wars (it was a Guild Wars-related Wiki). So, I understand how a Wiki works and hopefully my expertise can work on this Wiki. My main goals are to clean it up, add more pages, update/delete older pages, as well as make it a viable means for discussion. Sure, we have the forum for discussion, but multiple outlets of discussion are good. I mean, we have IRC for discussion (well, not REAL discussion), why not have the Wiki? Of course, it's main goal will be information relay, though.

A list of what needs to be done. If you know some basic Wiki coding, you can do some of them. Otherwise, odds are you need to be an admin on the Wiki to do a lot of this:

- Deletion/update of outdated pages: There's a lot of old information and unneeded pages on there, the main thing being a listing of the first thousand or so DS releases (which is useless since we have gOnline to list DS releases). Update, archive, or delete pages.
- Addition of more pages: A comprehensive, universal softmodding guide, a list of how-to/what games need fixes per MAJOR carts (this means R4, Acekard, Cyclo, etc, not clones), key articles relating to GBAtemp (notable users, mod/admin pages, key contributors), articles of key members of the hacking scene, as well as articles for our sponsors.
- More templates!: The main one would be an OUTDATED template, that we can put on outdated pages. I'll go more onto why this is needed as well. Specific templates for flashcart-related pages (such as one for Acekards, R4's, Cyclos, etc) would be appreciated as well. Then there's basic stuff like candidates for deletion and other basics.
- Archiving!: Some pages are outdated but still have a historic significance, aka things like PassCards/old flashcarts, older softmod methods, older game launchers, etc. Things that are still relevant to the history of whatever we discuss here but no longer used today.
- Moving of key "stickies" to the Wiki: A lot of stickies here are information, and a Wiki is meant to store information. Not only would this clean up the amount of stickies on some cluttered forums, but it would put them in an organized manner.
- Encourage discussion!: As I mentioned before, a Wiki is a great way to have general discussions, just as much as an IRC room or a forum. While I don't expect it to be anywhere near as popular as the forum or IRC, I would at least want some discussion.
- Other things: Things I'll think of as I go.

If you want to help, you can of course. I just suggest you have a basic knowledge of Wiki coding (which in itself is very, very close to HTML or basic forum codes).

My other personal project is improving the GBAtemp Magazine Reviews section. It's become a lot more lively since I started reviewing in there, but it's still a rather dead forum compared to our other sections. I'll start doing more reviews and try to make GBAtemp a reasonable outlet for game reviews. This means A LOT of reviews, from yours truly. Of course, I have a life first (I know, that's hard to believe), but I can imagine the Reviews section being a big part of the forum.

So, now for other aspirations and stuff.

beMy first aspiration would be....

MODERATOR ELECTION REFORM... PERSONAL THOUGHT!

I know that a lowly user like myself can't do anything, but I can see a new system in place, taken from the Wiki I used to go to. Here's a general rundown:

- A user can nominate another user for a staff position that's NOT administrative staff (aka Supervisor, Administrator, or Technician). The nominating user must have AT LEAST 100 posts and the nominated must have AT LEAST 500 posts or the request will be thrown out immediately. Seeing as all our staff members have at least 500 posts (or so I thought), this seems reasonable. The nominator and nominated must have also been on GBAtemp for a period of AT LEAST 6 months. Nomination threads would be in Site discussions and suggestions and would follow a specific template.
- To go into the administrative staff thing, seeing as that is a big position, an "upgrade" to that position is solely made by the current Administrative staff.
- Unlike my previous Wiki, a nominator CANNOT nominate himself. It was unpopular to do it on the Wiki I went to anyway, but it was allowed. Personally, it just seems kinda dickish.
- Users will then argue for/against the nomination. The nominator must update a list of supporting and opposing users. Users can give small speeches on why a user is fit/unfit for the role.
- Once an Administrative Staffer reads enough, they can choose whether the person can be elected or not. Admin staffers can deny or approve any nomination. Mind you, that if you have a list full of respected users supporting someone and only a pinch of users opposing them, it would be quite unpopular. Still, the end decision is by staffers alone.
- You may say "Hey Guild, if the end result is up to only the staffers, why does it matter?" and I've got the answer to that. As I said before overturning the popular opinion won't be very popular. Additionally, these nomination things measure the community's feelings on getting a new mod.

Seems a bit "radical" I guess, but it feels like a good thing. Also, this is obviously just a thought, so don't start posting random threads saying "____ FOR MODERATOR WOOOOHOOO!"

My other aspiration, kinda obviously following the theme here, is to obviously be a mod someday. Not any global moderator, but maybe just of the DS and Wii forums. I know, I flame a lot and troll a bit, so this is easy to laugh at, but I'm one of the most active members here and I've significantly improved from a few months ago. I do sometimes lose my cool and have gotten a 10% warn because of that, but over the next few months, I plan to be better at this. It's just a hope, no matter how far away it is. Go ahead, laugh.

Also, as per my large post count and short time being here, I wouldn't say I spam. I just post a lot because I have nothing else to do. Most of my posts are usually a few sentences of substance (outside of EoF stuff, of course) and it's not just useless, one word posts that aren't even humorous. Well, maybe they're humorless, but they're more than a word long! Quite frankly, I just have nothing to do except go around here a lot, so I post a lot. There, arrest me, call me a hypocrite.

Anyway, tl;dr summary:

- Personal editorials
- Wiki improvement
- More reviews
- Moderator election reform
- I wish to become a mod someday (
rofl2.gif
)
- I wouldn't call myself a spammer.

Sheesh, this is a long post!

BeatriceTheGolde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
tempchan.co.cc
XP
Country
Canada
Erm, you do realize you don't have 3000 counted posts, right?

Also, the wiki sucks because no one uses it.
No one uses it because the wiki sucks.

And lastly, GBAtemp is not a democracy. At all.
I'll even say it in red.
GBAtemp is not a democracy.

Posts merged

deanxxczx said:
Cool blog, bro.

I normally don't go on the Wiki, but I would help with updating it.
I know my HTML :3
Wikis don't use HTML.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Normal users can't remove pages from the Wiki
All we can do is mark them as deletion, to make an admin know it has to be removed (although I've never actually seen them remove a single page
tongue.gif
).
Maybe supervisors should get Wiki Admin power, I dunno.

@BeatriceTheGolden:
The Wiki doesn't suck just because you don't use it
wink2.gif

And it can use HTML, just not all

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
Normal users can't remove pages from the Wiki
All we can do is mark them as deletion, to make an admin know it has to be removed (although I've never actually seen them remove a single page
tongue.gif
).
Maybe supervisors should get Wiki Admin power, I dunno.

@BeatriceTheGolden:
The Wiki doesn't suck just because you don't use it
wink2.gif

And it can use HTML, just not all

You can still "upgrade" regular Wiki users to Wiki staff without having a staff position here. Or so I thought. And really, whose gonna abuse power on a Wiki that's dead at the moment?

Also, Beatrice, I count counted posts, aka what's under my name info. This means no blog or EoF posts. I think the bigger issue here is why you care so much.

I didn't expect GBAtemp to be a democracy. If it was, then the people would be forced to be elected if they were popular enough. All my suggestion is doing is adding a little more "support" from the community. The end decision on who gets elected or not is still in the hands of admins and admins alone. Every system of government, unless it's the Republic of Guildia, draws power from the people. Whether it's in real life or just on the intertubes.

D

Deleted_171835

Yep. The wiki needs a serious overhaul. It has the potential to be useful but it falls short. Most of the articles in the wiki were not updated in a long time. Maybe they can add a wiki staff.

I haven't seen your 1.000th post or 2.000th post blog. Link? I tried searching...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revolutionize said:
Yep. The wiki needs a serious overhaul. It has the potential to be useful but it falls short. Most of the articles in the wiki were not updated in a long time. Maybe they can add a wiki staff.

I haven't seen your 1.000th post or 2.000th post blog. Link? I tried searching...

1000th post one

2000th post one

@Beatrice: The Wiki "fails" because it's outdated. It won't "fail" after it's improved. Right now, I'm just, erm, "getting" Photoshop so I can start making some images for templates. I'll start adding them to my user space when I get the images up and working.

BeatriceTheGolde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
tempchan.co.cc
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Also, Beatrice, I count counted posts, aka what's under my name info. This means no blog or EoF posts. I think the bigger issue here is why you care so much.
If it makes you feel any better, it's because I enjoy pointing out people's faults.
beatrice40_unasuvas.png

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BeatriceTheGolden said:
Erm, you do realize you don't have 3000 counted posts, right?

Also, the wiki sucks because no one uses it.
No one uses it because the wiki sucks.

And lastly, GBAtemp is not a democracy. At all.
I'll even say it in red.
GBAtemp is not a democracy.

Posts merged

deanxxczx said:
Cool blog, bro.

I normally don't go on the Wiki, but I would help with updating it.
I know my HTML :3
Wikis don't use HTML.
Pretty much no forum is a democracy. We can be the first. Like the US. Then others will follow.
tongue.gif

Cool blog, from what I read (the tl;dr lol).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BeatriceTheGolden said:
I just spent an hour making and updating pages to make my own look more complete.

Now I'm going to forget about this for a few months.

I read your new contribs. Um, thanks.

I'll start marking pages for deletion and fancying them up once the file upload service is re-enabled.

D

Deleted_171835

MuppetInvasion said:
I need you in my life Guild McCommunist
Just because he said your 'penis emoticon' wasn't funny.

The "immaturity" of some members. Get it? Get it?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, glad to see you doing something greatly useful! (no sarcasm!) I might look at a couple of wiki coding tutorials, and see if I can help you!
tongue.gif

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*agrees with Wiki ideas
yeah the Wiki needs an overhaul,i mean the Wiki is valuable for info.Although needs for softmod wiki's are usless IMO,there's already a sticky in the wii hacking forum,so a need for a Wiki is useless.WE NEED WII BRICK WIKIS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1