Hacking [GUIDE] Upgrading 8.1.0-0J to 9.2.0-20J

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are awesome for doing this (yifan_lu, too of course)!

Does this update method also include the web browser? Either way, I'm going to attempt this tonight. Hopefully the N3DS Japanese recovery mode dialogs don't trip me up too badly. Thanks guys!

It does include the web browser. Let me know if it works if you try using my files, I set the DeviceId to 'xxx' in them since someone above said that had worked. If it doesn't then I can change it to reflect the DeviceId of the request. When I updated mine I had the DeviceId set to my DeviceId.

Reactions: Kioku

icebeam17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I definitely want to give this a go, but with no programming or scripting experience whatsoever, practically every word of the guide might as well be chinese to me :wacko:
Hopefully someone can upload a video or pictures to help translate this for us noobs.

Thanks for the effort anyway guys!

Reactions: cynique

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
This is great. Any plans on patching system transfer so people can system transfer to a n3DS without having to update it to 9.6? (since not even emunand can go to 9.6 on n3DS. But perhaps there will be a way to trick eShop/System Transfer into thinking it's on 9.6 rendering this process unnessecery. But we'll see in due time I guess. :P )

I'd imagine it would be something similar. Have it go to a custom server for system update checks so that it thinks that 9.5 (or 9.2 if you are working with sysnand for some reason) is the latest firmware. Of coarse this would mainly something useful for someone wanting to system transfer from a old 3DS to the n3DS. So both systems don't need the patch. Only the target system which would be the n3DS. If both systems are n3DS, then both would need to be running the patched system transfer.

I plan to eventually buy a n3DS and I will be system transferring to it. Perhaps for now once NAND decryption is made available, I can just get it nand modded, backup sysnand and system transfer to it and allow it to update to 9.6, decrypt the result, grab the data/dbs/private folders out and transfer that to a 9.5 image for emunand. (since it's happening on the same console, I shouldn't have to modify the private.sed file and not have to worry about KeyY hashes and what not like I would if I wanted to restore said data from a different console like my bricked 3DS I used to have)

Hopefully that will make things work for me. I could perhaps avoid copying the ticket/title.db files from dbs file as the ones for 9.6 might not work in 9.5. Since the system is effectively system transferred, I could probably redownload all the legit stuff from eShop anyway and just overwrite them with my SD card backup once all the needed stuff has their tickets installed correctly. The NAND mod will be for getting sysnand back to 9.2 once the system transfer takes place. :P

But I'm hoping a patched System Transfer via NTR CFW would just make things simpler for me. :P

pb_industries

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does include the web browser. Let me know if it works if you try using my files, I set the DeviceId to 'xxx' in them since someone above said that had worked. If it doesn't then I can change it to reflect the DeviceId of the request. When I updated mine I had the DeviceId set to my DeviceId.

Ah, I just realized that the NTR Debugger binary is Windows. I'll have to wait until Monday when I'll have access to a Windows machine. I looked into compiling NTR Debugger with Mono on my Mac, but quickly realized I was in over my head. I'll post on Monday with my successes/failures. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Ah, I just realized that the NTR Debugger binary is Windows. I'll have to wait until Monday when I'll have access to a Windows machine. I looked into compiling NTR Debugger with Mono on my Mac, but quickly realized I was in over my head. I'll post on Monday with my successes/failures. Thanks for your help!

if we could use it with mono that would be excellent, but yes i think it would be a chore, if not difficult, to compile it :(

tarovisions

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was able to upgrade to 9.5 emu via updatecdn and GW with no hiccups.

Not surprising but maybe someone out there would like confimation of that?

Reactions: cearp

icebeam17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put the files I used on a server, hopefully this makes it simpler.

It is still recommended of course to make a backup of your 8.1 sysnand first with gateway's launcher, and to enter and exit recovery mode to clear any pending updates.

Code:
connect("your 3ds ip", 8000)
write(0x15E424, tuple(map(ord, "http://jp81to92update.tk/\0")), pid=0x25)
write(0x15E0EC, tuple(map(ord, "http://jp81to92update.tk/\0")), pid=0x25)
write(0x15E463, tuple(map(ord, "http://jp81to92update.tk/\0")), pid=0x25)

I tried this out and everything worked fine until i tried starting the update, it spit back a nintendo error code. Here was the message in the debugger

> write(0x15E424, tuple(map(ord, "http://jp81to92update.tk/\0")), pid=0x25)
null
finished
> write(0x15E0EC, tuple(map(ord, "http://jp81to92update.tk/\0")), pid=0x25)
null
finished
> write(0x15E463, tuple(map(ord, "http://jp81to92update.tk/\0")), pid=0x25)
null
finished
starting applet: 0004001000020000
FSUSER_OpenDirectory failed, ret=c8804478FSUSER_OpenDirectory failed, ret=c8804478
Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
Server disconnected.

w0dash

noob
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The message in the debugger just means that system settings (applet 0004001000020000) disconnected the wifi, which is normal.

icebeam17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The message in the debugger just means that system settings (applet 0004001000020000) disconnected the wifi, which is normal.

Ah, I see. However, I tried it again, and these messages popped up in the debugger

FSUSER_OpenDirectory failed, ret=c8804478FSUSER_OpenDirectory failed, ret=c8804478
Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Server disconnected.

AFTER these messages appeared, the system started downloading the update. I thought it might update to the newest version because these all sound like the process failed and I disconnected from the server. But are you telling me that everything was fine and I should have continued the update?

w0dash

noob
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ah, I see. However, I tried it again, and these messages popped up in the debugger

Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Server disconnected.

AFTER these messages appeared, the system started downloading the update. I thought it might update to the newest version because these all sound like the process failed and I disconnected from the server. But are you telling me that everything was fine and I should have continued the update?

As long as you patch nim before you enter system settings and don't close the settings before you update, everything should work just fine. :)

niño de cobre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Go into system settings, and perform an update (do NOT exit system settings as you will lose your patches and will have to perform them again after restarting).
the jap buttons in the system menu are in the same position as the us system menu? because i dont want to click the wrong button trying to update.
this guide would be perfect with a few pics of the process IMHO.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

I love Bootcamp. O.o

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Used the stuff in your post. Up to 9.2! Got the blue card working now! Thank you!

Taslion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Server disconnected.

This is how far I've gotten. Everything seems to work great right up until I try to do the actual update. Then the 3ds quits right at the beginning of the update and the debugger throws up that message and the update goes nowhere

Taslion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also if it makes any difference the only thing my log file is showing is that the 3ds attempted to get the systemtitlehash, nothing else other than that is showing

icebeam17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PHEW got it working! Turns out I just had connectivity issues once the update started and had to manually input my DNS in internet options. After that, ALL SYSTEMS GO. THANKS SO MUCH GUYS! :D

I should also mention that when I first read the steps, even ichi's guide, my head just about exploded. I couldn't figure out the first thing about easyPHP for the life of me, let alone BEGIN to know how to host one of the files. But oishi uploading his own files made this a piece of cake, you da real MVP :D

Taslion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah. I feel like I have the same problem except I'm tethering everything though my phone and I have no idea how to play with dns here

cynique

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Gateway doesn't support roms on 8.1J EMUnand. He can't run roms so he can't update emunand with a rom.

How about if i update my emunand to 9.2 and after that update my emunand to 9.4 with a rom? I heard i cant do that cause it's gonna lead me to a brick?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about if i update my emunand to 9.2 and after that update my emunand to 9.4 with a rom? I heard i cant do that cause it's gonna lead me to a brick?

It should be fine to update emunand from a gateway rom, in gateway mode. I wouldn't recommend trying to update it from classic mode with a sky3ds rom unless you have a hardmod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good