Tutorial  Updated

Universal DS/DSi AR code for language override

Since it doesn't seem possible or easy to modify the Japanese 3DS/DSi to display any other language than Japanese/English, I searched a way to force my games to launch in the languages I want.

I first tried some hacks on the 3DS/DSi, or modified the files of my games by dump and unpacking them, but no solution works well.

So I searched an Action Replay code that allows me to override the firmware language, to force my games to launch in the language I want.
I found a lot of informations given by FAST6191, and thanks to him I was able to find what I was searching for in the memory viewer of the Desmume emulator: the memory address that change the games language.

I checked many games, and it appears they mostly use the same code since they all access the same information in the firmware!

Requirement to use the code:

- A DSi/3DS (obviously)
- A way to launch your games with action replay codes (Action Replay dongle, R4, DSTwo...)
- Games that contain the language you want

How to do:

Simply use the following AR code with any game you want.

227FFCE4 000000XX

OR

22FFFCE4 000000XX

(both codes work, it appears they can be accessed in to memory points)

Just replace XX by your language code, and it should work.
Here are the language codes you can use:
00 = Japanese
01 = English
02 = French
03 = German
04 = Italian
05 = Spanish

Be careful, some games like Castlevania save the language in the first load and keep it, so you might want to setup the AR code before launching it.
Also, obviously the code will only work if the game is launched with the code already actived, it won't work if you activate it while the game is running.

If you are using a card that supports usrcheat.dat files, I recommend you to use r4cce to add this code.
I haven't found a way to add the code to all games at once sadly.

Feel free to tell me if you find a better/more simple way to do it, I am open to any suggestion ;)

Edit: Just realized this code already exist inside the usrcheat.dat file, such a shame it's not documented...

Last edited by Stremon,

illuminatedPH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi man!! How can I do this? im using a a japanese dsi with r4isdhc rts lite cart. How can start with those ar codes? It automatically loads some multi language games in japanese. TIA!

Since it doesn't seem possible or easy to modify the Japanese 3DS/DSi to display any other language than Japanese/English, I searched a way to force my games to launch in the languages I want.

I first tried some hacks on the 3DS/DSi, or modified the files of my games by dump and unpacking them, but no solution works well.

So I searched an Action Replay code that allows me to override the firmware language, to force my games to launch in the language I want.
I found a lot of informations given by FAST6191, and thanks to him I was able to find what I was searching for in the memory viewer of the Desmume emulator: the memory address that change the games language.

I checked many games, and it appears they mostly use the same code since they all access the same information in the firmware!

Requirement to use the code:

- A DSi/3DS (obviously)
- A way to launch your games with action replay codes (Action Replay dongle, R4, DSTwo...)
- Games that contain the language you want

How to do:

Simply use the following AR code with any game you want.

227FFCE4 000000XX

OR

22FFFCE4 000000XX

(both codes work, it appears they can be accessed in to memory points)

Just replace XX by your language code, and it should work.
Here are the language codes you can use:
00 = Japanese
01 = English
02 = French
03 = German
04 = Italian
05 = Spanish

Be careful, some games like Castlevania save the language in the first load and keep it, so you might want to setup the AR code before launching it.
Also, obviously the code will only work if the game is launched with the code already actived, it won't work if you activate it while the game is running.

If you are using a card that supports usrcheat.dat files, I recommend you to use r4cce to add this code.
I haven't found a way to add the code to all games at once sadly.

Feel free to tell me if you find a better/more simple way to do it, I am open to any suggestion ;)

Edit: Just realized this code already exist inside the usrcheat.dat file, such a shame it's not documented...

Stremon

OP
Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
Hi man!! How can I do this? im using a a japanese dsi with r4isdhc rts lite cart. How can start with those ar codes? It automatically loads some multi language games in japanese. TIA!
If I remember correctly, those codes aren't needed with the r4isdhc, since you can change the global language in the catridge settings.
But it might depends of your OS and the version you have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr