Guide to reaching the laser?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by webjedi, Apr 16, 2008.

Apr 16, 2008
  1. webjedi
    OP

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The Wii is starting to have read issues so I thought I'd clean the laser. I searched high and low and haven't found any guide to disassembling the Wii to reach the laser. I have multiple copies of reaching the drive that I used to install my WiiKey – but nothing beyond that point. I figured I could just start unscrewing everything to reach it but didn’t want to risk harming the unit. I’m hoping some nice step-by-step detailed guide was hiding somewhere out there.

Thanks for any insight.

2. webjedi
    OP

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've found guides for reaching the pot, replacing the laser, and modding - but still none for reaching the laser to clean. But I think I figured it out... please let me know if I'm wrong. [​IMG]

The laser can be reached once you get to the drive. No need to remove the drive - just look under the metal covering of the drive at an angle and look toward the middle and you can see the place the laser light comes out. Tiny glass bump.

Still surprised with all the guides available - modding, reaching the drive, tweaking the pot, etc. that no one has a laser cleaning guide and shows where it is. I tried my digital camera but any close ups look like a huge blurry mess.