[GUIDE] The Ultimate Noob PS Vita/PSTV Hacking Guide (Check here first!)

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Voxel, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The memory card should have no config.txt at all. If it does, delete it. As I said, your tai config needs to be I'm ur0:tai/. Any other config can be deleted.

And the 2GB space is internal storage, the OLED Vita's did have internal storage, just not mounted for use as a memory card. The Vita 2000s use the same space, just split into 2 ~1GB partitions.

2. bobdamnit

bobdamnit I rule the Mushroom Kingdom

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Is this why the 1000 Vita needed a memory card to update to 3.65 and the 2k/Slim models didn't?

3. Tom Bombadildo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    100% correct. Where the 2000 Vita's had that 1GB partition mounted as ux0 instead of ur0, the OLED's didn't and (for some stupid reason) it wasn't added in something like a software update (which should be totally possible, IMO).

So the Slim Vita's can be fully used without any memory card of any type, whereas the OLED Vita's need at least some kind of memory card.

4. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    I redid the steps you listed previously. Had ONLY the sony mem card in, and deleted the ux0 config.txt file (which previously existed). Same exact results when I power it up with the sd2vita+sony card in: enzo takes a bit longer to bootup past the logo for some reason, but otherwise exactly the same. Boots up into the sony mem card, and vitashell does not show any 128gb/sd2vita partition/mount anywhere.

When I did the original setup and copied the sony internal memory card to the sd2vita's microsd, I used the usb transfer in vitashell, to drag/drop into windows on my PC. Should that have been done via FTP instead? Does usb transfer somehow leave out a critical file that the sd2vita needs so that it "thinks" it's a vita memory card?
    I'm just trying to look outside the box as to why the sd2vita is never seen/mounts, unless it is just broken. (but I know I saw it at one point on the Vita a few days ago, but it wasn't mounted in the correct area which was when this whole mess/fix was attempted)

5. Tom Bombadildo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The plugin is the only thing that matters when it comes to mounting the SD2Vita, which wouldn't be in ux0 anyways, so this should work. If it's not being detected at all, then it's likely a problem with the card itself. What happens when you just boot with the SD2Vita?

Also, when you transferred files via USB, did you make sure to both A) Show Hidden Files in Windows, and B) In File Explorer/Folder Options, disabled "Hide protected operating system files"? (Assuming you're running Windows, of course). If you didn't, then you didn't transfer the whole contents of the Vita memory card, as a lot of files and folders are hidden by default by Windows.

6. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Yes, I made sure hidden files were found/copied. The ending file size of the sony mem card backup matched the size on the card. There's some leftover stuff on the ux0, but no config.txt, and I left a copy of nopdrm.sprkx, just in case something went wrong because potato. And if I boot up with the SD2vita and no memory card, it reloads the database and the only thing on the livescreen is defauly sony bubbles like System, email, content manager, calendar, etc.

7. Tom Bombadildo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    When you put the SD card in your PC, is there an "apps" folder in it? If so, what's in it?

8. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Yes, it's all there. There is an "app" folder under the ux0 root, in both the SD card and sony memory card. It has a VITASHELL folder, a bunch of PCSE00xxx game folders, UPDATE365 folder a MAIM00001 folder and some MLCL000x folders.

9. Tom Bombadildo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Ugh, I'm a massive idiot sorry.

In your storage_config.txt, set it to the following:
    Code:
    MCD=uma0
    GCD=ux0

Apparently I mixed up GCD and USB drives for PSTV :lol:

Then reboot, and see if it's working now.

10. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    YES!! That was it! (I changed the storage_config.txt on ux0 and ur0 to what u said. Not sure which one is the actual one it's using) Now I see the sony mem card as uma0 now in Vitashell. Thanks so much for the help Tom, and also Bob for the good support. ;-) And after I install Adrenaline, I can just drop psp titles in ux0 correct? So when I add new plugins like oclockvita, do I place it into the ux0 or the uma0 plugin folder?

Now I just need to figure out why newly added titles are not showing up in bubbles on the livescreen post-enzo 3.65 update. Refreshing shows 0 titles but I just placed 2 new PCSE000x titles in the app folder...what gives? And my vita USB cable doesn't seem to charge the system anymore (when connected to a PC) since updating to enzo 3.65...wut? (I tried turning off/on the usb power option in system settings)

11. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    NM about the bubbles. All is good. I forgot after the 2nd/3rd time I copied the sony mem card to the sd2vita, I lost the new titles I put on there the other day. (when the sd2vita was briefly working)

It's fixed now. I'm just trying to sort out how to get adrenaline to run psp stuff off uma0 (sony memory card) now.

12. Tom Bombadildo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Copy the pspemu folder from your SD2Vita to your memory card in uma0, then open up Adrenaline settings (hold down the PS Button, choose "Settings", it'll open up a new overlay) then go to the Settings tab, and then you'll see the "Memory Stick Location" option. Just change it to uma0:Pspemu and that's it.

13. ArugulaZ

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Not sure where to ask this, but I'm trying to create bubbles with the Adrenaline Bubble Manager 5.01. I've got Adrenaline 6-3 on my system, and that works fine if I access it directly. I can create bubbles in ABM, but trying to run them results in a C2-12828-1 error. The system crashes, and the only way I can recover it is to hold down the power button for fifteen seconds. This was only a problem recently; likely a few days ago. Any idea how I can fix this? It's not a HUGE deal, but I'd like direct access to these games from the LiveArea.

14. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    So everything is working fine now. Vita and psp titles work. Plugins like oclock vita work, but i'm having a problem getting cwcheat to work in Adrenaline. (used to use it on my psp, so i'm sorta familiar with it.)

In my ux0 root, I have the /pspemu/seplugins/ folder with the game.txt and pops.txt files in there. Further in, there is a cwcheat folder after the /seplugins folder.
    In the cwcheat folder i have: cheat.db cheatpops.db cwcheat.PRX CWCHEATPOPS.INI and chwcheatpops.prx files.

My game.txt shows this:
    ms0:/pspemu/seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheat.PRX 1

pops.txt shows this:
    ms0:/pspemu/seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheatpops.prx 1

Anything stands out as to why cwcheat won't start when holding select in a game? (testing on one of the psp GOW games) I'm using sd2vita on ux0 btw.

15. Tom Bombadildo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Remove /pspemu/, that doesn't need to be there as the virtual memory card for PSP mode's root is pspemu. So it's kinda like you have the path set to ux0:/pspemu/pspemu/seplugins etc etc. Should work fine after that

16. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Oh..makes sense I guess. So at the ux0 root, I should have a /seplugins and such? But if I don't need a pspemu folder, then where do I put psp game iso's at? Adrenaline already found the ones at ux0:/pspemu/GAMES path....

Should I change the game.txt files and such to just ms0:/seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheat.PRX 1 , or don't even touch those files?

17. Tom Bombadildo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Sorry, I didn't mean the folder itself, that should definitely be kept because that's where all the PSP mode stuff is stored, I meant the game.txt and pops.txt. The text should read:

ms0:seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheat.prx
    ms0:seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheatpops.prx 1

The pspemu folder is the root of the virtual PSP memory stick, so it wouldn't be included in the path because that's what ms0 is.

18. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Changed it to what you said and still not working. I rebooted the vita also after making the changes in vitashell.
    Also, why does that 2nd line end in a "1" after the .prx file?

19. Tom Bombadildo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Sorry, just a small typo. Both should have a 1 afterwards, since that's what denotes the plugin as activated.

20. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Still not working. But is there anything wrong with the cwcheat file name being cwcheat.PRX (rather than lower case) idk, it came that way from the source zip file I got in from. The last game.txt config line I tested that isn't working is: ms0:seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheat.PRX 1

Also, your config line shows no slash after ms0, but my original pathing had that. Why is it removed from the game.txt line? While searching for config help on it, I came across a post stating it should look like: ms0:/seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheat.prx 1

EDIT: NM, got it working! I copied the seplugins folder (and all containing folder+files) to the actual Sony memory card which actually holds the psp iso's. IDK if that did it or something else, but it's working now. (I was previously just updating the config files and .txt files/etc, on the sd2vita card.

Last edited by Bonovox40, Apr 25, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice