Tutorial  Updated

ReiNX Installation and Use

WE'RE CLOSED AGAIN, GO TO REINX.GUIDE

DZo7ejK.png

ReiNX: It just works.
So, you want to install ReiNX?

Good, you probably should. Now that it has working sigpatches, ReiNX is the most effective free CFW on the market right now! But you're gonna need to get into the thing, so that's where this helpful guide comes into play. You'll need a few things before we get started:

If you brick your Switch somehow- which would be impressive, honestly- I'm not responsible for that. If you follow these instructions to the letter, you'll have a working and more importantly sexy custom firmware on your system that will suit all your legal needs!
Installing NSP files is going to get you banned. This is only for people who are indifferent about being banned or have been banned already. You were warned.

• A Nintendo Switch console
  • An SD Card that's been formatted to be used by your Nintendo Switch
  • A USB C to USB A cable
  • Some way to get into RCM mode, please consult this comprehensive list of ways to enter RCM mode.
  • The sheer willpower and hype to take your console to the next stratosphere!
Now that you have all the hardware, you'll need some software, too.
There's a file called Darth Meteos' Super Special SD Stash v5.0.zip, that has sigpatches in it to allow you to run NSP backups. Please grab it here. The zip file has everything you need for the installation ahead. It also contains the following homebrew:​
  • Tinfoil (to install NSP files)
  • Retroarch (all the best emulators)
  • FTPD (for moving files between your PC and your Switch)
  • NX-Shell (a basic file manager)
  • EdiZon (for backing up/restoring/editing savegames)
  • The Homebrew App-Store (for getting even more homebrew)
The zip file will also contain a bin payload to boot the CFW. However, if you've never connected your Switch to a computer, you'll need to do a couple of things first, to get the drivers playing fair. This guide is assuming that you've already done that, but if you're brand new to the scene- welcome, by the way- you'll need to do some one-time setup.​

You'll need these things:
  1. Once you've got those, connect your Switch in RCM mode to your computer. Windows will recognize an APX device. This is good!
  2. Run Zadig with admin privileges. On the dropdown menu, find APX. That's your Switch!
  3. Next to a green arrow, there will be a series of driver types that you can cycle through. Choose libusbK (v3.0.7.0), and do it carefully, because this is the most important step.
  4. Click the big button. Congratulations, your Switch is now ready to run payloads!
  5. Extract the folder from the TegraRcmGUI_vX.X_portable.zip that you downloaded, (with X.X being the version, mine is 2.1) and open TegraRCMGUI.
  6. To run payloads, simply click the folder icon and browse to the testpayload.bin and inject the payload. Congratulations on running your first payload!
This only works on Windows, because that's what I have. Mac users, check elsewhere.
Now, for the main installation.
  1. Power off your Switch and connect your Switch's SD Card to a computer of your choice.
  2. Extract the contents of the zip file you downloaded. There'll be a bin file, an SD Files folder, as well as a little readme with more information. Check the spoilered text for what it should look like:
    CFYHDkE.png
  3. Go into the SD Files folder and drag the contents onto the root of your SD Card. Overwrite everything.
    NOTE: If you don't know your firmware, you can find it in the system settings menu. The latest (as of this writing) is 5.1.0.
  4. If your card was empty except for the Nintendo folder beforehand, you should have a layout like the one in the spoiler:
    ktbVCD0.png
  5. Now that the SD Card is set up, please return it to your Nintendo Switch and enter into RCM mode through the method of your choice.
  6. Using TegraRCMGUI, inject the ReiNX.bin Payload from the Stash package to get into your Switch.
  7. After the splash screen vanishes and you see the Nintendo Switch logo, you can disconnect the Switch from your computer. You're in!
Accessing the homebrew menu is easy, just open the album! Inside will be the Tinfoil NSP installer and the Homebrew App Store, which in turn has basically everything you could ever want. Keep an eye on the 'Temp, though, for future updates~

When inside the homebrew menu, you can use Tinfoil to install nsp files, by placing them into the /tinfoil/nsp/ folder on your SD Card. All homebrew goes into the /switch/ folder.

IF YOU NEED NOGC, PLEASE MAKE A FILE CALLED NOGC IN THE REINX FOLDER
READ THE FUCKIN' F.A.Q BEFORE POSTING, IF YOUR QUESTION IS ANSWERED IN THE F.A.Q, IT WILL NOT BE ANSWERED OUTSIDE OF A SNIDE REMARK, POSSIBLY

Thank you so much for making the choice to use ReiNX!
ljgCB0x.png

Last edited by Darth Meteos,

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CURRENT LIMITATIONS
  • Sigpatches aren't likely going to be made for 1.0. Please update using @rajkosto's method if you want sigpatches on your Switch. Of course, this could change.
  • XCI loading is not yet implemented. It's possible a similar loader to SX will be put in, or an xci to nsp converter. Nothing is- as yet- set in stone. More on this as it develops.

F.A.Q

Q: Hey, is it Darth, or Meteos?
A: It's Meteos. Darth, as you see in the Star Wars movies, is just a prefix like Mr, or Dr. Might end up changing it so people don't make this mistake anymore, 'cause there's a lot of Darths and I'm the only Meteos.

Q: I had [insert issue here] with ReiNX! Who should I talk to about this?
A: Just post here, if it's using the Stash files I put out. Otherwise, you can go to the ReiSwitched Discord here.

Q: Are these files official?
A: No, they aren't. They used to be, however, I have disassociated with ReiSwitched. I do not speak for them in any capacity. That may change- but it is probably not going to. They have their own releases on their Discord here. Please use those if you want an official release.

Q: What firmware version does this support?
A: Everything. Every bloody thing. It should work on your Switch.

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Love it, can you still do the Pokemon way of installing NSP stuff ? like everyone we are pumped for this and are hanging out for a XCI loader :)

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love it, can you still do the Pokemon way of installing NSP stuff ? like everyone we are pumped for this and are hanging out for a XCI loader :)
That was intially an integral part of the tutorial, however, since Tinfoil will soon be as functional without the... y'know... illegality... I decided not to include it. In a few days, it'll be all good.
Can this play xci files?
Also what official firmware do I need to be on?
No, xci's are not playable as yet. This functionality is being worked on. I'll update the updates comment to reflect this.
5.x and up can use this right now. Lower firmwares are being worked on, but since they were pushing back release unnecessarily, we ended up not implementing that just yet.

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
thought we could already install NSP games and stuff , wasn't everyone confirming that its working in the official rei thread ?

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
That was intially an integral part of the tutorial, however, since Tinfoil will soon be as functional without the... y'know... illegality... I decided not to include it. In a few days, it'll be all good.

No, xci's are not playable as yet. This functionality is being worked on. I'll update the updates comment to reflect this.
4.x and up can use this right now. Lower firmwares are being worked on, but since they were pushing back release unnecessarily, we ended up not implementing that just yet.
oh i read we can't install DLC's and updates , thought that rule applies to all the other NSP's , sorry my bad.

newfreezer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Please, UPDATE. It doesnt workshop on 4.x. Everyone who tested till now, including me, got bluescreen just after splashscreen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1