Tutorial  Updated

ReiNX Installation and Use

WE'RE CLOSED AGAIN, GO TO REINX.GUIDE

DZo7ejK.png

ReiNX: It just works.
So, you want to install ReiNX?

Good, you probably should. Now that it has working sigpatches, ReiNX is the most effective free CFW on the market right now! But you're gonna need to get into the thing, so that's where this helpful guide comes into play. You'll need a few things before we get started:

If you brick your Switch somehow- which would be impressive, honestly- I'm not responsible for that. If you follow these instructions to the letter, you'll have a working and more importantly sexy custom firmware on your system that will suit all your legal needs!
Installing NSP files is going to get you banned. This is only for people who are indifferent about being banned or have been banned already. You were warned.

• A Nintendo Switch console
  • An SD Card that's been formatted to be used by your Nintendo Switch
  • A USB C to USB A cable
  • Some way to get into RCM mode, please consult this comprehensive list of ways to enter RCM mode.
  • The sheer willpower and hype to take your console to the next stratosphere!
Now that you have all the hardware, you'll need some software, too.
There's a file called Darth Meteos' Super Special SD Stash v5.0.zip, that has sigpatches in it to allow you to run NSP backups. Please grab it here. The zip file has everything you need for the installation ahead. It also contains the following homebrew:​
  • Tinfoil (to install NSP files)
  • Retroarch (all the best emulators)
  • FTPD (for moving files between your PC and your Switch)
  • NX-Shell (a basic file manager)
  • EdiZon (for backing up/restoring/editing savegames)
  • The Homebrew App-Store (for getting even more homebrew)
The zip file will also contain a bin payload to boot the CFW. However, if you've never connected your Switch to a computer, you'll need to do a couple of things first, to get the drivers playing fair. This guide is assuming that you've already done that, but if you're brand new to the scene- welcome, by the way- you'll need to do some one-time setup.​

You'll need these things:
  1. Once you've got those, connect your Switch in RCM mode to your computer. Windows will recognize an APX device. This is good!
  2. Run Zadig with admin privileges. On the dropdown menu, find APX. That's your Switch!
  3. Next to a green arrow, there will be a series of driver types that you can cycle through. Choose libusbK (v3.0.7.0), and do it carefully, because this is the most important step.
  4. Click the big button. Congratulations, your Switch is now ready to run payloads!
  5. Extract the folder from the TegraRcmGUI_vX.X_portable.zip that you downloaded, (with X.X being the version, mine is 2.1) and open TegraRCMGUI.
  6. To run payloads, simply click the folder icon and browse to the testpayload.bin and inject the payload. Congratulations on running your first payload!
This only works on Windows, because that's what I have. Mac users, check elsewhere.
Now, for the main installation.
  1. Power off your Switch and connect your Switch's SD Card to a computer of your choice.
  2. Extract the contents of the zip file you downloaded. There'll be a bin file, an SD Files folder, as well as a little readme with more information. Check the spoilered text for what it should look like:
    CFYHDkE.png
  3. Go into the SD Files folder and drag the contents onto the root of your SD Card. Overwrite everything.
    NOTE: If you don't know your firmware, you can find it in the system settings menu. The latest (as of this writing) is 5.1.0.
  4. If your card was empty except for the Nintendo folder beforehand, you should have a layout like the one in the spoiler:
    ktbVCD0.png
  5. Now that the SD Card is set up, please return it to your Nintendo Switch and enter into RCM mode through the method of your choice.
  6. Using TegraRCMGUI, inject the ReiNX.bin Payload from the Stash package to get into your Switch.
  7. After the splash screen vanishes and you see the Nintendo Switch logo, you can disconnect the Switch from your computer. You're in!
Accessing the homebrew menu is easy, just open the album! Inside will be the Tinfoil NSP installer and the Homebrew App Store, which in turn has basically everything you could ever want. Keep an eye on the 'Temp, though, for future updates~

When inside the homebrew menu, you can use Tinfoil to install nsp files, by placing them into the /tinfoil/nsp/ folder on your SD Card. All homebrew goes into the /switch/ folder.

IF YOU NEED NOGC, PLEASE MAKE A FILE CALLED NOGC IN THE REINX FOLDER
READ THE FUCKIN' F.A.Q BEFORE POSTING, IF YOUR QUESTION IS ANSWERED IN THE F.A.Q, IT WILL NOT BE ANSWERED OUTSIDE OF A SNIDE REMARK, POSSIBLY

Thank you so much for making the choice to use ReiNX!
ljgCB0x.png

Last edited by Darth Meteos,

FahQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Specs: OFW 5.1.0, exFAT, ReiNX 1.2, (no Wifi/Airplane Mode on)
On starting some games (mainly newer ones) a message occurs, saying:
“A new update ist available” and the following options are given “Start Software”, “Cancel”, “Download”
I always choose “Start Software” and the game starts flawlessly and can be played without any problems.
Can someone explain me why this message occurs although I am on the latest OFW?
Thx
It's not for the firmware, it's for the game update. The update data is out there if you know where to look.

FahQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, but how does the game know that there is a new update for it available when I am offline?
Not 100% certain but I believe the firmware update contains some kind of checklist. I have connected to the internet 2 times, once to update to 5.1.0, and once to purchase and download the BotW DLC. Games that I have physically purchased know they need an update as well as any installed nsp files. Even though I have not connected to the internet since the purchases or the install of nsps the console still recognizes the need for an update. I know this is the reason for the nag because once the update data is installed, no more nag.

Last edited by FahQ,

noodles75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not 100% certain but I believe the firmware update contains some kind of checklist. I have connected to the internet 2 times, once to update to 5.1.0, and once to purchase and download the BotW DLC. Games that I have physically purchased know they need an update as well as any installed nsp files. Even though I have not connected to the internet since the purchases or the install of nsps the console still recognizes the need for an update. I know this is the reason for the nag because once the update data is installed, no more nag.
Ah, thanks. Then I'll get on my search for the updates...;)

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newest files, hold R when launching to disable for app, else if you launch them without holding r they will have layered fs enabled

Yes you can move it to another folder and it wont load
How does that work without fs_mitm.kip?

When I tried it without fs_mitm.kip I got no layeredfs.

Last edited by Nazosan,

rockMan83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I get this as soon as I start tinfoil. With or without an nsp in /tinfoil/nsp

Also used dev menu at one point to install NBA2K18 which is about 7GB and the Wolfenstein II update at around 8GB. Not a file size issue.

Doubt it's exclusively the sd (please don't try to tell me it's fake as it is not), but it's a sandisk ultra plus 128GB sdxc.

The error also clearly states the error is in creating the needed directory /tinfoil/extracted as the picture I posted shows.
I have tried creating this directory before running tinfoil and the same thing happens. I really need to figure this out. My frustration levels have never been so high...

Same issue for me FahQ. I figured there was just something wrong with darthMateos' release (I'm using v3.1) and I would wait for an update, which apparently there's v4 out now to try. RomMenu has always worked for installing .nsp's for me so I just stuck with that, although I was not able to get Doom to work (it crashed the system when creating a profile or something to that affect).

FahQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same issue for me FahQ. I figured there was just something wrong with darthMateos' release (I'm using v3.1) and I would wait for an update, which apparently there's v4 out now to try. RomMenu has always worked for installing .nsp's for me so I just stuck with that, although I was not able to get Doom to work (it crashed the system when creating a profile or something to that affect).
Well I've tried every revision of the stash along with every working combo of sdfiles and cfw and tinfoil always does this the only thing it seems like it could be is using exFAT but since no one else seems to have this issue but us idk. Are you currently using an sd formatted to exFAT?

rockMan83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I've tried every revision of the stash along with every working combo of sdfiles and cfw and tinfoil always does this the only thing it seems like it could be is using exFAT but since no one else seems to have this issue but us idk. Are you currently using an sd formatted to exFAT?

I guess it was a longShot that an update to the stash would resolve. Yes, my card is exFat formatted using the switch's own formatting function. I'm on 5.1.0, updated officially. My card is a samsung evo+ 256GB. May I ask why not just use ROMmenu? What is the advantage of using Tinfoil?

FahQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it was a longShot that an update to the stash would resolve. Yes, my card is exFat formatted using the switch's own formatting function. I'm on 5.1.0, updated officially. My card is a samsung evo+ 256GB. May I ask why not just use ROMmenu? What is the advantage of using Tinfoil?
Only that it's a homebrew option that is technically legal. Devmenu (I assume that's what you mean by ROMmenu) is not. I just wanted it working because I hate it when I can't fix stuff (which is a rarity). I won't know whether it's exFAT as I absolutely have no intention of going back to FAT32 but that is most likely the cause.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only that it's a homebrew option that is technically legal. Devmenu (I assume that's what you mean by ROMmenu) is not. I just wanted it working because I hate it when I can't fix stuff (which is a rarity). I won't know whether it's exFAT as I absolutely have no intention of going back to FAT32 but that is most likely the cause.
DevMenu is Nintendo's proprietary application where one of its functions is as a title installer while Rommenu is TX's title installer that we, er, borrowed.

rockMan83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

yes I did think it odd that I was the only one experiencing the issue until I read your post. My google search for the exact error ("createTinfoilDirs: Failed to create /tinfoil/extracted. Error code: 0x00000202 main: Failed to create tinfoil dirs. Error code: 0x00000202") yielded results about some ps3 issue along with aluminium foil topics. I'm sure we're not the only ones with the issue though.

And I'm not sure ROMmenu's relation to Devmenu. Having never used tinFoil I figured it was some mod to it, but AFAIK it's its own app; it doesn't look anything like, nor have all the functions of devMenu (it just installs .NSPs). I obtained it from an earlier release of darthMateos' stash, but it was replaced by an update to tinFoil. The OP was even updated to reference tinFoil rather than RomMenu, but when I tried to run it in the homeBrewMenu it just crashed my switch so I reverted to ROMmenu, which seems to work fine for the .NSP's I've obtained.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

DevMenu is Nintendo's proprietary application where one of its functions is as a title installer while Rommenu is TX's title installer that we, er, borrowed.
Ahhhh, that makes sense. Please tell TX I'll return their installer next week. Thanks for chiming in Draxzelex

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Then it works as intended. Just a side effect. You're responsible for ensuring your console is fully turned off. Oddly enough "Power Off" doesn't do ITS job.
Just to be sure,I've autorcm, if I power off the console since the system (hold power and click on power off) it's ok or does it drain battery ?

FahQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2:
yes I did think it odd that I was the only one experiencing the issue until I read your post. My google search for the exact error ("createTinfoilDirs: Failed to create /tinfoil/extracted. Error code: 0x00000202 main: Failed to create tinfoil dirs. Error code: 0x00000202") yielded results about some ps3 issue along with aluminium foil topics. I'm sure we're not the only ones with the issue though.

And I'm not sure ROMmenu's relation to Devmenu. Having never used tinFoil I figured it was some mod to it, but AFAIK it's its own app; it doesn't look anything like, nor have all the functions of devMenu (it just installs .NSPs). I obtained it from an earlier release of darthMateos' stash, but it was replaced by an update to tinFoil. The OP was even updated to reference tinFoil rather than RomMenu, but when I tried to run it in the homeBrewMenu it just crashed my switch so I reverted to ROMmenu, which seems to work fine for the .NSP's I've obtained.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Please tell TX I'll return their installer next week. Thanks for chiming in Draxzelex
Same on that Google search :rofl2:
Idk how I could have missed the ROMmenu in the stashs but no matter as devmenu works fine.

Pesmerga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If I buy the newest model of switch in the market right now, will i be able to install reinx? I cant check their serial number.

rockMan83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2:
Same on that Google search :rofl2:
Idk how I could have missed the ROMmenu in the stashs but no matter as devmenu works fine.
Hey FahQ, for the sake of closure I thought you'd like to know that I was able to run Tinfoil using stash v4.0 and after running the "unset archive bit <switch folder> function in the Tools menu of hekate - CTCaer mod v3.2 payload. This is the second time I've had to run this, the first time was when homeBrewMenu would not even see anything in the switch folder.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180803_092330.jpg
    MVIMG_20180803_092330.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 171
  • MVIMG_20180803_092351.jpg
    MVIMG_20180803_092351.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 169

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."