[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yes. You only need the HaxChi files on the SD to Install and configure HaxChi. Once it's working as expected you can delete HaxChi install files from the SD

2. cavale

cavale Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2018
    Netherlands
    The entire tutorial is really clear, thanks you so much for all this hard work.

One question just to be sure, once i installed everything up till haxchi (step 4), i don't need to install any other cfw to install dlc games right? Since haxchi itself has a cfw?

So how exactly do i play wii games or nintendo ds games? Do i need to do step 5, method 1? Or do i need to boot "Mocha cfw" inside haxchi? I'm a complete noob with the wii u, sorry for that :P

Last edited by cavale, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    If you have HaxChi you don't need Mocha.

cavale likes this.
  4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you installed (using WUP installer) a legit title, you don't need any CFW to play it. just boot the console and play.
    If you installed a non legit title, then you need to first patch the sysmenu by launching Haxchi once, with button B pressed (if you kept the default setup), then launch your game.

what "legit" means is :
    - The game has an unaltered signature and is intended for YOUR or ANY consoles : games you bought officially on eShop, games dumped from a disc (a disc can be played on any console!).
    - Game update (they are not tied to any console)
    - demo/free DLC (they not tied to any console)

non legit means :
    - eShop games you didn't officially bought, therefore it's locked to a specific console which is NOT yours. (you need CFW to bypass this restriction, this is the "signature patch" feature)
    - DLC you didn't officially bought
    - any Legit games containing non legit DLC
    - any modified and non official installed channels (homebrew launcher, hbl2hbc, wupinstaller gx2, injected WiiVC, etc.)

Maybe this could be useful on the first post, as this is not explained.
    the guide tells what to do to hack, but not why or what to do about it once hacked.

Last edited by Cyan, Jan 30, 2018
    cavale likes this.
  5. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    Very nice :)
    Do I lose all the stuff that is installed on my Wii U and HDD if I am going the HaxChii Road?
    The HDD and Wii U are not hacked in any way yet.

6. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You don't lose anything

B4rtj4h likes this.
  7. cavale

cavale Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2018
    Netherlands
    So, if i download a dlc game like mario kart ds from lets say wii u usb helper, I need cfw? So i can just launch ''mocha cfw'' which is already inside the HaxChi menu, and install the game with WUP installer after mocha is launched?
    Or is there a different cfw inside HaxChi that i don't know about. do i need to do the config thing from step 5, method 1?

All of these questions might be frustrating for you guys, but i really don't want to do anything wrong :P:yayu:, sorry :wink:

Last edited by cavale, Jan 30, 2018
  8. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You don't need Mocha. Just set the config.txt file inside of your HaxChi folder on the SD to say "default=sysmenu" (Then re-install HaxChi but ONLY IF YOU DON'T USE CBHC!!!). This will make is so when you tap HaxChi it boots you back to the Wii U menu and you are now in CFW mode. You can check your Wii U version number and it should say "99.99.99". Now to get to HBL tap HaxChi and hold "B". Even better yet, install the HBL channel so you don't have to tap HaxChi again after the first time.

Last edited by Kafluke, Jan 30, 2018
  9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    to be able to bypass the signature check and launch a non official (or altered official) title, being game, homebrew, whatever : you need to first run a patcher program.
    there are different patcher, and you only need ONE patcher, not many.

here is a list of existing patchers :
    https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_WiiU_custom_firmwares#Custom_Firmwares

if you have Haxchi, you ALREADY have a patcher. you don't need mocha, because haxchi is doing the exact same thing than mocha ! (except it's doing it FASTER than mocha)
    You can use Mocha if you want, OR you can use haxchi if you want, OR use any of the patcher from the link.
    don't use haxchi to launch mocha if haxchi has already patched (removed) the signature check from the firmware, that's unnecessary steps (and will probably freeze your console).

if you use Browser hax to launch homebrew, then you can use another patcher than haxchi, because haxchi can't be launched from HBL.
    if you already have Haxchi installed, you don't need browser hax anymore and you don't need any other patchers as haxchi can do the same thing.

haxchi -> sysmenu : patch the firmware to remove signature check until power off.
    haxchi -> hbl : doesn't patch the firmware, just launch HBL (identical to browser hax, except it's done offline with 100% success rate).

You can do that if you want :
    Haxchi -> HBL -> sig patcher of your choice ..... but what waste of time when you can do haxchi->patched firmware (cfw) directly.

10. cavale

cavale Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2018
    Netherlands
    Thanks! I found the config.txt file, i can just change this file before installing Haxchi as well right? no need to replace HaxChi like the guide says i think.

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yes, you can change it before installing haxchi for the first time.
    it's the file which will be copied to sysNAND when you install haxchi.

haxchi will use that config.txt file when you launch it to know the button combo you want to use.
    you are not limited to A and B, you can use x, y, up, down, etc. (all of the buttons can be used, except maybe power)
    one haxchi title can be linked to more than 10 shortcuts! if you need more shortcut you can install more (different) NDS games, or just use HBL instead.

12. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Just wanted to say thanks again for this great guide. I am very happy with my Wii U. I upgraded my hard drive to 3 TB and even though it only uses 2 TB all the intermittent problems my old drive were giving me are gone.

I ended up blocking updates by deleting the update folder and staying on 5.5.1 and using just Haxchi because I am too worried about accidental bricks with Cold Boot Haxchi. Being able to inject Wii and Gamecube games directly is awesome, just wish gamecube games were full screen instead of 4:3...not sure if I am doing something wrong or if that is just how it is.

I was wondering, I did this guide back about April......has the homebrew channel or wup installer been updated since then? Everything is working for me but the homebrew channel doesn't seem as developed as the one for Wii was....things like being able to remove/insert the sd card while its running doable yet? No need to update Haxchi or anything else is there?

13. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    No updates. Same as April

14. Paula55

Paula55 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2018
    United States
    Hi, first of all thanks a lot for the detailed and informative tutorial.

I have Haxchi installed, and wasn't going to need to install DLC as I don't really care about them (it's for my little brother, but there's one game on eshop that I must have so I need sigpatch and I want to opt for Haxchi by itself as it is called here.

Can you please advise if this will also run eshop games in addition to DLC? Will this actually work by only changing the values?

Thanks a lot.

15. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    So I've got haxchi, all works fine, I have a question on out of region games, specifically eshop titles.

Out of region is safe to install right? I just have to run haxchi before I play it (and maybe before installing for sig patches like when installing dlc), but that's it. There's no risk to using other region games/installs?

16. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Haxchi is a method to patch the firmware in memory to disable signature check function and allow everything (homebrew, eshop, dlc) to be launched.
    just launch haxchi with "sysmenu" option to patch the firmware before launching your game.

which value are you talking about?
    If you mean the config.txt, then I recommend to change the b and default value.
    set B to homebrew, and default to sysmenu
    then (re)install haxchi to replace that config file on your console's memory.

now you can launch haxchi once, without any pressed button, to patch your firmware everytime you need it.

Install : yes it's safe ! It will not brick or create problems. it just won't launch if you don't have haxchi patch the firmware first.
    works : not all the time.

some games are using dynamic folder selection based on the console's region and language.
    some games don't have all region/language combination (for example, USA games don't have IT or RU or DE etc.)
    so, to launch some games which rely on that information, you'll need to run Spiik homebrew first to force the game to use "usa+en" even if you are on a "eur+en" console.

another method is to edit the /content/ folder's content and rename "usa" to "eur" for example, so the game find the folder matching your region. but, it's cleaner and faster to just use spiik. editing manually is useful only if you still play games with loadiine.

Last edited by Cyan, Feb 4, 2018
    Paula55 likes this.
  17. Draxmintar

Draxmintar Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2017
    Netherlands
    Hello I have a question.
    I want to play backup from the SD card.
    Right now I've a couple of games on the internal memory, but I still have a lot of room on the SD card.
    Can someone help me?
    Thanks in advance.

18. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Follow the guide in the OP for Loadiine. It's the only way to play from SD. It's slow, outdated and you cannot play online though.

19. Burrito707

Burrito707 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2018
    United States
    Hello, first off i want to say thank you so much for the tutorial you put up. I recently bought a Used Wii U and on 5.5.2 and have successfully flashed the firmware. I did this through an instructional video and after reviewing your tutorial im happy to say they are both the same. unfortunately i made two crucial errors.the video had me install WUP Installer to the Nand, when i know see i should have already had a external Wii u formatted, connected and saved to the USB. My second crucial error is that i used a 2GB SD card to flash my system. i was a bit impatient and assumed that flashing the Wii U would be similar to flashing the Wii (which had an external PC loader for games, so no need for big SD card and i never backed that NAND either.) So i have two questions if you could help me with.

1. Can I and if so, how do I delete and reinstall WUP Installer to my Wii U formatted external HDD?
    2. How do I load backups of my games to the formatted Wii U drive? (im pretty sure i know how to install them)
    3. Is there any way to successfully copy the contents of my 2GB SD card and transfer them to a bigger one? I saw that there was a way to copy these files but that was in a Nintendo 3DS forum and im not sure if that technique applies to my scenario.

I just want to say thank you so much for the help. i've been outta the seen since 2014 and its good to be back!

P.S.
    sorry for the inadvertent way of messaging you i cant pm i think lol

20. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    1. Just use Wii u data management to move from nand to usb and vice versa
    2. Once they are installed they just show up in your Wii u menu
    3. You can just straight up copy from SD to SD using a computer