Guide needed for playing my ds roms on 3ds via acekard 2i?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by sfulla31, Dec 11, 2011.

1. sfulla31
    OP

Newcomer sfulla31 Member

United Kingdom
    Hello,I realise this is probably a question thats been answered on here several times but I just need to make sure. I have bought my son a 3ds for xmas and I need to know how I can enable his acekard 2i so he can play his normal ds roms on the 3ds I have looked through the forums and the other questions but I cant find the answer. I understand that the ackard 2i is compatable with the 3ds so what Im looking for is a guide from start to finish on how I set it up to play his games on the 3ds, thankyou

2. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Go here and watch the video. :)

3. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Here's a noob-friendly guide on the gbatemp wiki. You'll be fine, as long as you go through all of the steps in the guide, but just in case you don't want to read through all of it, here's a simplified version (without pictures).

Before starting, make sure your ak2i can run on the 3ds. If an error screen shows when trying to load the ak2i on the 3ds, you won't be able to update, unless you can find another system (preferably a ds phat or ds lite, since those can't block flashcarts) that your ak2i works on. If you don't have any, try borrowing one from somebody else. After ensuring your ak2i can load on whichever system you have, follow these steps:

1) download the bootstrap updater [here], so that your ak2i can be updated to work on the latest dsi/3ds firmwares.
    2) download the latest akaio [here], which is ak2i's unofficial firmware.
    3) read the readme file that is included in the download of step 1, and place correct updater into the root of the micro sd card, depending on the system you are using to update.
    4) place the contents of akaio (in step 2) into the root of the micro sd card.
    5) boot your ak2i; navigate to where the updater is, and boot the updater.
    6) lastly, do as prompted, so that you don't brick your cart!

4. lostman

Newcomer lostman Newbie

Canada
    Thanks for all this... but, if I use a acekard, is it safe tu use Internet, buy games, etc.. after this ?

Thank you ?

5. celcodioc

Member celcodioc Major A$$hole

Sweden
    It is fully safe to use any Internet functions. Just don't update your 3DS because updates usually block flashcarts.

6. tonybologna

Member tonybologna GO VOLS!

United States
    After running the 3DS bootstrap updater to use with the AceKard 2i, can we still play 3DS games from a normal/standard game flashcart? Like buy a regular 3DS game & play straight from the cart itself? I just wanna have the ability to also play the 3DS games even though there are no flashcarts available yet for 3DS game hacking. I want regular DS gaming from the AceKard 2i & 3DS gaming from purchased retail flashcarts. Is this possible after updating? Thanks! :)

7. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    Yep. Totally possible, as long as you're running on the latest 3DS firmware version.

8. tonybologna

Member tonybologna GO VOLS!

United States
    That's what I was hoping for! Thanks for letting me know! My son will be a happy camper now having both worlds. :)

9. saintvikki

Newcomer saintvikki Member

United Kingdom
    I got my Acekard 2i this morning,followed all instructions,up dated with no probs on my DS phat .

The problem I am having is I cant play any of the back-up DS games on my 3DS,I have made a games folder and tried putting the game in there,but no luck. Any help would be great.

10. frogboy

United States
    What happens when you try to load up one of the games?

11. saintvikki

United Kingdom

I can't load games,it's like there are no games there,but I know that I put them on the card.

12. frogboy

United States
    This isn't really describing much of your problem. You're saying that the Acekard menu shows no DS roms? Are you sure that all your files are .nds files?

13. saintvikki

United Kingdom

It's ok,I got it working. Thanks for the help.

14. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Funny how like 3 different people asked the same question in one topic :P