Hacking [Guide] Kafluke's HardMod CBHC Unbrick guide

PisulinRE

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
  • Download the Nandway-SignalBoosterEdition.hex and NANDway.py files here. There are two files in this zip. You will need them both later in the guide.
  • The link is not valid, please re-upload the files.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Download the Nandway-SignalBoosterEdition.hex and NANDway.py files here. There are two files in this zip. You will need them both later in the guide.
The link is not valid, please re-upload the files.

Kafluke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Download the Nandway-SignalBoosterEdition.hex and NANDway.py files here. There are two files in this zip. You will need them both later in the guide.
  • The link is not valid, please re-upload the files.

The link is not valid, please re-upload the files.
Just do a google search. I've been out of the Wii u scene for years.

carlos1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok guys i managed to get everything working and flashed the slc.bin to the cbhc bricked wiiu , it said completed, my issue was i did not have pyserial install, but now I just cut the connections on the teensy and left them incase but when i turn on my wiiu it is stuck on the wiiu screen, and nothing happens, if my cd drive is unplugged i get a disk error. could the issue be the wires?
EDIT> removed wires still nothing, just a wiiu white screen, sucks cause it definitely flashed the slc.bin, what is going on.

Last edited by carlos1984,

carlos1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have tool for that.

///add my modified programm (big thx for help my russian brudda - creker). Based on nandcbhcremover with little modification.
Ussage - check first page. All from cmd. Place with programm slc.bin, otp.bin and syshax.xml (fix system.xml, grab it from unpack slc.bin -> sys/config/ folder. If cbhc brick then edit default title_id to correct and rename file to syshax.xml)
In cmd >nand777 slc.bin "eur/usa/jap -one of this" syshax.xml
All look at this >nand777 slc.bin eur syshax.xml

After that extract its slc.bin with wii u nand extractor and check that system.xml chandge correctly. If all ok just flash to console fixing slc.bin
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--GiHnMXRiScTO_I4i3RQruE7q3n7TaD/view?usp=drivesdk

And again - sorry for bad english
HI Sunday I checked my System.xml and the title ID is
default_os_id type="hexBinary" length="8">000500101000400a</default_os_id>

<default_title_id type="hexBinary" length="8">0005001010040100</default_title_id>

you said the default should be check that default_title_id line including 0005001010040200 (default sys menu.

Could this change by region? say yours is 0005001010040200 because it is European and mine is 0005001010040100 because it is usa?

Also is it ok for me to post the full system.xml for you to have a look at? and last question would my problem of the console not booting after flashed slc.bin be connected to this an error I get from nandchecker, says two files have bad HMAS.

I also get this from runnning cbhcremover.exe, I assume this is because the slc.bin backup was done before cbhc was installed.

C:\Users\gameon\Desktop\kodys wiiu brick repair>nandCbhcRemover.exe slc.bin
** nandFixer : Fix incomplete dump, add ECCs and HMACs **
built: Mar 25 2017 01:05:33
NandBin::ItemFromPath ->item not found "/sys/config/syshax.xml"
"Can't find system.xml backup, are you sure CBHC is installed?"

I apologize for all the question in advance.

SundayWarrior

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
<default_title_id type="hexBinary" length="8">0005001010040100</default_title_id>
Yes. Its for usa region - normal

What about your serial number on system.xml?
And you have copy mlc?
Your console stuck on wiiu logo without any error? When you press sync button - no responce?
Maybe needed fix 0005001010040100 title. Im not remember where it placed - on mlc or on slc. If you have mlc backup - try flash it with cardreader.

And do other one operation - flash slc.bin, then read it from console. Compare both file - if r/w operation error files will be not same - maybe strange boot because of this

carlos1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes. Its for usa region - normal

What about your serial number on system.xml?
And you have copy mlc?
Your console stuck on wiiu logo without any error? When you press sync button - no responce?
Maybe needed fix 0005001010040100 title. Im not remember where it placed - on mlc or on slc. If you have mlc backup - try flash it with cardreader.

And do other one operation - flash slc.bin, then read it from console. Compare both file - if r/w operation error files will be not same - maybe strange boot because of this
I have not checked the serial. Will do that when i get home in about 4 hours. Where exactly is the serial stored in the system.xml? Yeah weird before I flashed it it would give error 0101 but now it just sits on the wiiu white screen I did not try to sync. I do not have mlc.bin. would it be ok to change the title id to your0005001010040100 thanks again for help.

SundayWarrior

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have not checked the serial
Its needed to understanding what backup actualy from your console (if you not change serial for unban before ofc). Serial jus - ctr+f and search. Maybe its write on other .xml file in same folder.
Yeah weird before I flashed it it would give error 0101
You read mlc.bin in this state? If yes - try manualy fix system.xml. If not - needed understand reason console not boot
would it be ok to change the title id to your0005001010040100
If your console have usa region - not change to ...040200 eur - title id match from folder on slc or mlc and have launch files. If it not created - cant boot

carlos1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I think I am screwed. I left the system flashing last night. I got up this morning and it said completed. So I turned wiiu off and did not test it and left for work. Came home tonight and disconnected ground but the system would not turn on. Weird thing was if the hdmi was disconnected the blue light would turn on but turn right off again. So I hooked everything back up. But now the info it said unkown chip. So tried flashing to it anyways. Well if just kept say verification error over and over. Edit...So I disconnected all the wires and going to try and silder them up again but I am pretty sure my wiiu is dead since I cannot write to the chip anymore.

Its needed to understanding what backup actualy from your console (if you not change serial for unban before ofc). Serial jus - ctr+f and search. Maybe its write on other .xml file in same folder.

You read mlc.bin in this state? If yes - try manualy fix system.xml. If not - needed understand reason console not boot

If your console have usa region - not change to ...040200 eur - title id match from folder on slc or mlc and have launch files. If it not created - cant boot
Well I think I am screwed. I left the system flashing last night. I got up this morning and it said completed. So I turned wiiu off and did not test it and left for work. Came home tonight and disconnected ground but the system would not turn on. Weird thing was if the hdmi was disconnected the blue light would turn on but turn right off again. So I hooked everything back up. But now the info it said unkown chip. So tried flashing to it anyways. Well if just kept say verification error over and over. So I disconnected all the wires and going to try and silder them up again but I am pretty sure my wiiu is dead.
So I unsoldered everything and resoldered and now the info shows proper nand info. So wrote to chip but gave many verification error but it is still writing. Also @SundayWarrior I looked in every xml in slc but could not find serial.

carlos1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So last night I tried again bu this time I used a multi meter to make sure all the connections were properly good. After doing this I had the same problem where the red light on the system does not turn on to blue like before. It blinks red once and stays red. But I tried anywsys and I do get proper info for nand discription but after try to flash slc. I get all berification errors. Also tried on the slcmpt.bin by changing the two connection but still get verification errors. So I tried to write to it by using write command not verification and it did complete with one error. But the system still does not power on when I hit the power button. I think I am screwed. To me it sounds like there is a something makeing a small click when I move the board. Another weird thing is when I put pressure on the two chips on the same side as the processor sometimes i get no info for the processor. I might have put to much pressure on the board since I rest my hand on the board when soldering.

Johannus_NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I bricked my Wiiu, yeah, so i got a nice little project. I reflashed the rom with a TSOP Clip, so no soldering at all. After flashing the memory I got a blinking blue led, spinning fan, no CDROM startup sequence. I compared the bin I wrote to WIIU and vWII. It all looks fine. wrote SLC and SLCMPT to the right partitions of the memory.
SLC.Bin to RE2 and RB2 connection on the TSOP (WIIU)
SLCMPT.bin to RE1 and RB2 on the TSOP (vWII)

Any clues?

EyeKey

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hi,

I bricked my Wiiu, yeah, so i got a nice little project. I reflashed the rom with a TSOP Clip, so no soldering at all. After flashing the memory I got a blinking blue led, spinning fan, no CDROM startup sequence. I compared the bin I wrote to WIIU and vWII. It all looks fine. wrote SLC and SLCMPT to the right partitions of the memory.
SLC.Bin to RE2 and RB2 connection on the TSOP (WIIU)
SLCMPT.bin to RE1 and RB2 on the TSOP (vWII)

Any clues?
How did you get those backups? rednand or wiiu nand dumper?

Johannus_NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How did you get those backups? rednand or wiiu nand dumper?
Hi, thanks for your reply. I got them from the backuptool which being recommended when setting up homebrew.
I ran nandway dump for the first few blocks and compared them with the backup. it all looks fine. strange. I would think that the system would boot-up when a flawless restore of SLC is being done.

I think I have found the issue. I'm using the wrong backup files, from another WIIU. I compared the backup files on my pc, two folders. containing similar files (binary). i give it another shot. I guess the WIIU can't decrypt the files.

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, thanks for your reply. I got them from the backuptool which being recommended when setting up homebrew.
I ran nandway dump for the first few blocks and compared them with the backup. it all looks fine. strange. I would think that the system would boot-up when a flawless restore of SLC is being done.

I think I have found the issue. I'm using the wrong backup files, from another WIIU. I compared the backup files on my pc, two folders. containing similar files (binary). i give it another shot. I guess the WIIU can't decrypt the files.
Fingers crossed! I wish we had a better method to do this kind of operations...

Johannus_NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fingers crossed! I wish we had a better method to do this kind of operations...

buying another 2nd hand would be cheaper and much faster. But its a nice project. Getting experience with a teensy, soldering stuff and writing a NAND from a dead device and saving it from the shred.

Reactions: Valery0p

Johannus_NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think I killed the bastard. At some point it told me the chip was unknown with 16 MB Nand and start writing. Some errors with block verification failed.
Now I can't start it anymore. Solid red light. Unable to power it up.

Johannus_NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
update: I'm flashing the chip with external power to the chip it self. No external power to the wiiu-board or the teensy, only to the nand. executing the flash command results in errors reading the chip information, but after a few tries It's flashing with the correct chip info.
waiting for results...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the nand for the wii u is 528MBs or so. you need the otp.bin to decrypt it, but you won't need it if you have a nand from before the brick occurred. I think it mentions that in the guide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction