Hacking [Guide] How to Use your Ipod as a HD for backups

Holyevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After having the most hair tearing moments about having a spare Ipod classic 80gb that I no longer use and no one to play my games after accidentally dropping my hard drive, I've finally figured out how to do it. I decided to share in case anyone was wondering.

You'll need to use Configurable USB Loader for this and download the Wii Backup Manager.

First, you need to take care of your ipod.

Go to http://freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation

Answer the questions at the bottom of each page, and it will tell you how to install Rockbox on your ipod step by step.
If you have trouble, go to their support section. I can't really help you at all.

When your ipod has RockBox fully installed, open the Wii Backup Manager.
Select your ipod drive and transfer games like would on a normal drive.

Connect your iPod to the outermost USB slot of the Wii. Load up your Wii, open Configurable USB Loader, and the games on your ipod should appear.

This will help those who might have had trouble trying to format their ipod to WBFS, or getting the Wii to recognize it. You don't use disk mode for this since the Rockbox firmware thing goes into it's own USB mode when you connect it to the computer.

Good luck. I hope this helped.

Holyevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if WBFS formatting doesn't work for you.
Lots of people couldn't get their ipod to format to WBFS using the WBFS manager. I think it has something to do with the bigger, more recent ipods. Some people have gotten their ipods to work.

But if you can get it in WBFS format like a regular hdd, then you don't even have to follow this guide at all.
The steps for that was enabling disk use in itunes, and using the WBFS manager to format the drive. I kept getting errors, so it didn't work, and just loading the ipod in disk mode on the wii with games added didn't' work either. Neogamma, Usb loader gx and cfg usb loader would not read the ipod. So disk mode didn't work for me. The usb mode of the rockbox modded ipod seemed to work, though.

I dunno if it'll work with usb loader gx, but it won't work with Neogamma since neogamma looks for a wbfs partition.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if WBFS formatting doesn't work for you.
Lots of people couldn't get their ipod to format to WBFS using the WBFS manager. I think it has something to do with the bigger, more recent ipods. Some people have gotten their ipods to work.

But if you can get it in WBFS format like a regular hdd, then you don't even have to follow this guide at all.
The steps for that was enabling disk use in itunes, and using the WBFS manager to format the drive. I kept getting errors, so it didn't work, and just loading the ipod in disk mode on the wii with games added didn't' work either. Neogamma, Usb loader gx and cfg usb loader would not read the ipod. So disk mode didn't work for me. The usb mode of the rockbox modded ipod seemed to work, though.

I dunno if it'll work with usb loader gx, but it won't work with Neogamma since neogamma looks for a wbfs partition.
I'm presuming iPod Touch 8G won't work?

Holyevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea. Would have to see if ipod touch had a custom firmware scene and if it had a usb mode that was readable to the wii.

Not worth it in my opinion. For the storage capacity. That's 2 good games, maybe. Only one if you loaded something like xenoblade on it. A cheap USB stick can do the same thing.

Plus touches have a lot more features than an ipod. I'd say just keep it as an entertainment device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs