Hacking COMPLETED Guide: How to uodate your games without updating the device

ogioto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I've decided to create this guide for the people who want to updste their games, but not the consoles.
The guide is for people who find too hard to deal with the dns settings. I've made it for few friends of mine, who aren't good with hardware and software terminology and stuff and decided to post it also here.
This guide is oriented for the single palyer games at this point, because there aren't lots of multiplayer games for now. Also, the guide is for wifi connections, I don't have a lan adapter to experiment with, but if somebody got one and know how to make the trick- don't wait, post it here :P

1. You must have a wireless conection which have already used once with the device.
2. Go to the System settings>Internet>Internet settings
3. When it load the list, it will separate it. In the part with "Registered Networks" you should find and choose your network.
4. On the menu that will appear choose "Change Settings"
5. At the bottom you will see an option called "Connect Automatically". Switch it to off
6. If you were connected to the network and have the device update downloaded on the console, but not installed, you can do a total shutdown on the console (hold the power button, choose " Power Options" and then Power Off. This will delete the device update file and wouldn't be prompted to update until the next time the update is downloaded. If you weren't connected to the network and don't have the device update prepared.
7. Start the console, without connecting it to the network, and press the minus button while you are on the tab of the game you want to update.
8. On the menu that appeared, there's a tab named "Software Update" an in it option "Via the internet" that you should choose.
9. Choose your network when the list is loaded.
10. It will start to download your game update. When finished and the game is ready, repeat step 6 before anything else, just to assure yourself that there's no update on the system and you have no longer connection trough which it could be downloaded.

Sorry if there are any mistakes, I'm writing this from my phone due to the fact I'm so sick, I can't even go to my pc...
I hope it will help somebody.

Axelanders

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If I skip the system update prompt to start the game I get a seperate prompt just for the game update.
It updates the game without installing a system update.

But of course, that bears the risk to accidentally click the wrong update.
Just wanted to share.

Edit: Huh, I think I misunderstood this a bit, it's all about disabling the system update prompt. That's not really an issue for me, so it didn't even cross my mind.

Last edited by Axelanders,
Reactions: Zidapi and ogioto

ogioto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can you say what SYSTEM UPDATE you are on becaue i have tried this with 1.0.0 and does not work
It's really interesting that you have encountered problem. One friend of mine had informed me before time, that 1.0.0 might have different settings due to the fact that it was known at the time that there will be "day one system update". But it's really interesting, if there no web kit but other hidden options, it might be really useful to known that. Thanks for the report, I'll try to investigate if I found someone with 1.0.0 in my city ;)

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was there an actual reason not to update? As far as I can see it, nothing will be patched anyway since nothing has really been found or at least announced as found. I was mostly in hope for more fixes of sorts. Or maybe they just add a damn activity log.

Reactions: VictorMoreno015

ogioto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Was there an actual reason not to update? As far as I can see it, nothing will be patched anyway since nothing has really been found or at least announced as found. I was mostly in hope for more fixes of sorts. Or maybe they just add a damn activity log.
Well, there is nothing yet, but on 2.0.0 we have working pegaswitch, which might end up being the key to "unlock" the system full homebrew and hqck potential. And if somebody wanna have a chance to use that chance he'll want to stay on thjs version. And also it's not like Nintendo is pushing the people to update their consoles like Sony- we can still use the eshop and play the games without the new firmware. So it's up to people to the decide, but if there are no new options added, no version restricted eshop and games, I don't see why people should update and loose this option, if there is nothing to win if they update. And Nintendo never liked the changelog for non-authorized people idea or at least I remember the thi gs this way...

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No reason not to uodate.
You know, a kernel vulnerability may not be present in the current system.
It is even possible that you get one only by uodating to some specific fw version.
And as there is no way to uodate to a specific fw version that is not the last one, you could very well end up with no hack because you didn't uodate.

That said, I don't give a fuck about a hack or not a hack.
I prefer to live today and uodate.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No reason not to uodate.
It is even possible that you get one only by uodating to some specific fw version.
And as there is no way to uodate to a specific fw version that is not the last one, you could very well end up with no hack because you didn't uodate.

This is actually true. I don't think Wii U had a Kernel exploit at all on earlier fw.

Reactions: souler92

Istolla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Noobie question/concern.

Has anyone had issues with their game after only updating it?
Examples:
- Has it updated the firmware version it checks before allowing you to play?
- Has the firmware update upon the cart been updated and thus tries to get you to install the new version?

my switch is on 2.3.0 and I only own Splatoon 2 atm I've yet to open it and muck about with it.
I'm interested in getting Breath of the Wild as that for sure is designed to be solo/offline game and is very long depending how you play. my gf has over 90 hours already lol.

While here as I'm not sure where to ask this and it feels topic relevant-ish.
There is no way to access the eShop, nor link a Nintendo ID to your switch's player account without updating correct?
So as it currently stands, unless I update there is no way to get the "Hard mode" for BotW? (which my gf informs me is a DLC they are pricy gouging for.)

Any help on these points would be appreciated. :3
~Istol

Reactions: sarkwalvein

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noobie question/concern.

Has anyone had issues with their game after only updating it?
Examples:
- Has it updated the firmware version it checks before allowing you to play?
- Has the firmware update upon the cart been updated and thus tries to get you to install the new version?

my switch is on 2.3.0 and I only own Splatoon 2 atm I've yet to open it and muck about with it.
I'm interested in getting Breath of the Wild as that for sure is designed to be solo/offline game and is very long depending how you play. my gf has over 90 hours already lol.

While here as I'm not sure where to ask this and it feels topic relevant-ish.
There is no way to access the eShop, nor link a Nintendo ID to your switch's player account without updating correct?
So as it currently stands, unless I update there is no way to get the "Hard mode" for BotW? (which my gf informs me is a DLC they are pricy gouging for.)

Any help on these points would be appreciated. :3
~Istol
1. Has it updated my firmware before allowing me to play - If you mean the update nag saying a "system update is ready" or one is required then yes that is normal. There is no way to bypass a required game update yet but you can block the pop up message for "A system update is ready, update now?" With a DNS & clearing it with maintenance mode/recovery.

2. Has the firmware version of the cart changed and require... - If you mean how the update nag works with cartridges they will require you to update but instead of updating you to the latest firmware they will update you to the firmware the cartridge has. I'm not sure if digital games work the same way.
All cartridges/discs have this written becuase of convience and making the game acsessiable to people who may not have internet.

3. You cannot acsess eshop or link your nnid without a update - You can currently not acsess the eshop or link your nnid without a system update. There's no way to bypass them yet.

4. I cannot update Zelda BOTW? - You can try doing the method above but if it doesn't work then your screwed basically. I'm on 3.0.0 and have not used this guide yet but i'd assume it won't work. 2.0.0 may be different for game updates.

Also idk if its just me, but the hardmode isint that diffcult to me imo or different to really change up the gameplay. If you have played games like Doom, Terraria, Minecraft (PvP.), or other real time fighting games. Don't expect a lot with the DLC it's nothing more then a rom hack of zelda with little adjustments to the game.

Istolla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Thanks for the reply Pug.
So just to clarify
1) the question is, "After using the posted method to update the game only, has this affected or change what firmware the game checks for before allowing play?"
IE: they say splatoon 2 came with 2.3.0 firmware check/update on it, after updating the game, did it start asking for 3.0.0+ ?​

2) Again using the game only update method above, has there been any cases where the "firmware update" carried on the game itself, get updated.
IE: with splatoon as an example again, after updating the game, did the system firmware update that came with the game, 2.3.0 get updated to 3.0.0+ ?​

3) Thank you for clearing that up.

4) I don't own BOTW yet so I can't test or try the update myself. I do own splatoon 2 but I am considering returning it and exchanging it for BOTW as at least I know BOTW is sizeable offline/solo game.

mn I've not played the games you listed as examples but I will definitely take into consideration that that DLC may be hyped up more then it's reality, though it is moot as I intend to stay on 2.3.0 which means I can not link my ID, and can not access the eShop at this time, and the DLC is from the eShop only.
~Istol

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No reason not to uodate.

You need to fix your P key

Radlust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just curious if this still might work on my fw 2.0.0 Switch for updating BotW, anyone tried this recently?

I'm interested in going from my game-version 1.2.0 to the latest 1.3.1 for better fps/stability!

Also, will BotW on 1.3.1 jive with my fw 2.0.0 Switch?

Thanks in advance!
Rad

Istolla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ye, I tried updating my BotW that I'd bought 2 days back, last night and it gave me a pop up with something to the effect of "A system firmware update is required before you access this games update data." so missed my chance on that I guess.
There is a grayed out option saying "Updated from a local source" but it has a * saying "this option will be available in a later sys update"

So I'll have some hope, with the understanding of how complex getting that to work ourselves maybe.
Course this means I don't get to play BotW with JP Voice and Eng subs like I'd wanted lol.

Edit
Just to be clear/add. I'm on 2.3.0.
That said the steps provided to turn off auto network connection do work and prevent auto-update requests from the system and games.​
~Istol

Last edited by Istolla,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night