[Guide] How to improve menuhax boot rate to nearly 100%

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by star_storm, Jan 17, 2016.

?

Did it work for you?

  1. Yes :)

  2. No :(

  3. Same as before :/

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. star_storm
    OP

    star_storm Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    56
    30
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    This is my guide from reddit, it looks like it helped lots of people so I decided to post it here. I also have made some modifications.

    This works for both the Old 3DS and the New 3DS, however it may not work with all CFW's. I am using ctrbootmanager and CakesFW and have a 100% boot rate.


    This is for 9.2 CFW users who are having issues. If you aren't having issues, don't bother fixing whats not broken :). I don't know if the older payload will work on 10.3 I haven't tested it as I use menuhax on 9.2 to autoboot my CFW.

    This might only work on the N3DS thats what I have and it has improved my boot rate a ton.


    Step 0: install menuhax normally

    How to install:
    1) Download this file

    2) Copy the files from the 3ds folder it to the 3ds folder on your SD card

    3) Boot it in HomebrewLauncher

    4) Install (make sure you are using themehax manager)

    The rest is optional however if you want autoboot you must continue(otherwise you must press "L" to boot menuhax)

    5) Connect to your PC and copy "menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin" from your sd card(this is the old payload)

    6) Install homemenuhax like normal again.(this will replace the old payload with the new one that doesnt work well on 9.2)

    7) Reconnect SD to PC and look for the new menuhax payload(mine was named: ropbinpayload_menuhax_USA23552_new3ds.bin)

    8) Copy the name of the file(in my case "ropbinpayload_menuhax_USA23552_new3ds.bin") and rename "menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin" from earlier to the new file name

    9) Replace the file on your SD card with the renamed payload on your PC.

    10) If done correctly the screen will flash white, blue, and red the easiest way to tell is that there is no yellow screen.

    11) Observe boot rates nearing 100% :P\

    Remember selecting install in MenuHax installer will replace the old payload with the newer unstable one!


    I do not know why this works. My guess is that the new menuhax was made to work on the latest 10.3 not for 9.2. On reddit some said that menuhax worked fine for them on 10.3.
    Credits to mid-kid he told me how to do this on IRC.
     
    Last edited by star_storm, Feb 5, 2016
    jbtech, Darkyose, emuashui and 16 others like this.
  2. Pacheko17

    Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

    Member
    1,256
    1,185
    Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    Using a boot image also helps, so you don't get the pixelated mess on the top screen.
     
  3. star_storm
    OP

    star_storm Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    56
    30
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Unfortunately no way to change the bottom screen :(.
     
  4. Pacheko17

    Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

    Member
    1,256
    1,185
    Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    It's fine for me. I even use the bottom screen to see if it's booting correctly or not with the flashing colors.
    I don't even need to do that because it's 100% boot rate for me ( After I started using boot image ) but still, lol.
     
  5. star_storm
    OP

    star_storm Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    56
    30
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Yeah that is useful as it does show the different stages of the hack. Using the older payload though I haven't had a failed boot yet(at least caused by menuhax, my CFW still fails to load though probably because I use 10.3 emunand on a N3DS)
     
  6. Lycanroc

    Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

    Member
    2,014
    2,400
    May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    So this helps solve the yellow screen freeze that happens sometimes? Those are driving me nuts lol

    Edit:

    Ok, I did it, and it seems to be working without freezes, autoboot works too :D
    Thanks a lot for the tutorial ^_^
     
    Last edited by Lycanroc, Jan 17, 2016
  7. linuxares

    linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,248
    1,379
    Aug 5, 2007
    Messed up my menuhax etc. hard. Can't even get rxTools working again. Thank god I made a copy of my sdcard earlier today so I can restore this mess.
     
  8. Memoir

    Memoir A Hero to Zero

    Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

    Our Patreon
    5,056
    4,872
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Nice guide! Gonna pass cuz I haven't had many issues with 2.1 O.o
     
  9. star_storm
    OP

    star_storm Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    56
    30
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Glad it works!
     
    Lycanroc likes this.
  10. DjoeN

    DjoeN Captain Haddock!

    Member
    5,194
    1,498
    Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    N3DSXL (Downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2)
    - Original MenuHax Payload -> 3 out of 5 got stuck on a white screen before loading HBL
    - ThemeHax Payload with MenuHax -> 10 tries, 10 time HBL without a problem

    O3DS (Upgraded to 9.2 from Original 4.5)
    - Original MenuHax Payload -> 1 out of 5 got stuck on a yellow screen before loading HBL
    - ThemeHax Payload with MenuHax -> 10 tries, 10 time HBL without a problem

    O3DSXL (Grey)(Upgraded to 9.2 from 7.x)
    - Original MenuHax Payload -> 1 out of 10 got stuck on a yellow screen before loading HBL
    - ThemeHax Payload with MenuHax -> 10 tries, 9 time HBL without a problem
    - (No improvement here :/ )

    O3DSXL (White)(Downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2)
    - Original MenuHax Payload -> 1 out of 10 got stuck on a yellow screen before loading HBL
    - ThemeHax Payload with MenuHax -> 10 tries, 10 time HBL without a problem

    O3DSXL (Blue)(Downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2)
    - Original MenuHax Payload -> 1 out of 5 got stuck on a yellow screen before loading HBL
    - ThemeHax Payload with MenuHax -> 10 tries, 10 time HBL without a problem

    2DS (Blue)(Downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2)
    - Original MenuHax Payload -> 1 out of 3 got stuck on a yellow screen before loading HBL
    - ThemeHax Payload with MenuHax -> 10 tries, 10 time HBL without a problem
     
    emuashui and Lycanroc like this.
  11. star_storm
    OP

    star_storm Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    56
    30
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    For me I had 50% white screen crashes 10% yellow screen crashes and 40% successful boot with a 50/50 boot chance of CFW so this was very irritating to deal with at first. In the past week CFW updates have fixed many things and I have a fully successful boot 50% of the time. It even works when my 3DS is closed which is awesome!
     
  12. star_storm
    OP

    star_storm Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    56
    30
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    For those who vote "No" and "Same as before" post what kind of 3ds you have and what colors the screen flashes when you run menuhax
     
  13. star_storm
    OP

    star_storm Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    56
    30
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    THIS DOESNT WORK
    I found an easier way to do this: download the zip, go into the other app payload folder, find the one for your 3ds(if you dont know how use the other method) rename that file to whatever your current menuhax payload is called and replace your current menuhax payload with the new one from the download.
     
    Last edited by star_storm, Jan 21, 2016
  14. zael91

    zael91 Member

    Newcomer
    11
    3
    May 19, 2013
    Senegal
    I dont know if this helps but. How i fixed the yellow screen error was to assign a button. Which in my case is the R trigger. Menuhax boots almost 100% for me that way. Whenever i set it so that it autoboots without me having to press anything will result in the yellow screen. (hope that's not confusing)
     
  15. star_storm
    OP

    star_storm Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    56
    30
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Yeah that never really worked for me. Mine is set to X
     
  16. mashers

    mashers Stubborn ape

    Member
    3,837
    5,156
    Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thank you for this. It has vastly improved the boot rate on my EUR n3DS/9.2 sysnand/10.4 emunand :)
     
    hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  17. 4ur0r

    4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    373
    86
    Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    I did it and now on my 9.2 N3DS menuhax triggers everytime.
    However, I can't seem to be able to change the sysNAND theme nor set a boot image.
     
  18. mashers

    mashers Stubborn ape

    Member
    3,837
    5,156
    Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Did you do the second part of the guide? (points 5 - 9) If so, you should then be able to use the menuhax manager to change the sysnand theme and boot image. You need to be running hax within sysnand for this to work (otherwise it will install menuhax onto emunand and change the theme there).
     
    4ur0r likes this.
  19. PoLoMoTo

    PoLoMoTo Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    51
    9
    Jan 13, 2016
    United States
    Could you elaborate on how to determine which file to use? I've tried two that I thought were correct but alas they were not.
     
  20. star_storm
    OP

    star_storm Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    56
    30
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    The payload will be named the same as the otherapp payload you download from here.
    Here are the files to use for a 9.2 NEW 3DS:
    USA: N3DS_U_12288_8203.bin
    EUR: N3DS_E_12288_8203.bin
    JAP: N3DS_J_12288_8203.bin

    Here are the files to use for a 9.2 OLD 3DS:
    USA: POST5_U_11272_8203.bin
    EUR: POST5_E_11272_8203.bin
    JAP: POST5_J_11272_8203.bin

    The files are found in /3ds/themehax_installer/otherapp

    I'll add this to the main guide. Hopefully that helps :P.