Tutorial [Guide] How to fix Switch games not booting after a FW/CFW update

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sometimes having a game that just refuses to boot can be fixed by booting into Maintenance mode without doing anything else.
Holy smoke. I can't believe that this helped me.
I tried literally everything to get my stupid Rocket League to boot after updating my FW and Atmosphère but although all other games were still working fine, this goddamn game refused to launch. I tried all sigpatches from all sources on this freakin' planet, I did a clean install of that game with Tinfoil including update and DLCs ... still the same f*cking error.
I knew Maintenance mode but only as a "FW update data killer". Didn't know it can also fix somehow corrupted games but in my case it did. Now I can finally shoot some balls with my Luigi car again, thank you very much for this.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Holy smoke. I can't believe that this helped me.
I tried literally everything to get my stupid Rocket League to boot after updating my FW and Atmosphère but although all other games were still working fine, this goddamn game refused to launch. I tried all sigpatches from all sources on this freakin' planet, I did a clean install of that game with Tinfoil including update and DLCs ... still the same f*cking error.
I knew Maintenance mode but only as a "FW update data killer". Didn't know it can also fix somehow corrupted games but in my case it did. Now I can finally shoot some balls with my Luigi car again, thank you very much for this.
Really glad that method worked for you, my friend! :D
It's such a niche thing that it goes by most people, but thankfully it has proven helpful in some dire situations.

Reactions: lordelan

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did the partial transfer to atmos ( still at 11.0.0) but had some games say an error ocurred and closed... did everything..3 times over.. fixed 2 games.. rest couldnt.. i had it and intialized nand...after backup saves of course.. now clean and works..

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Vanjica24

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have the latest atmosphere 0.19.5, the latest firmware 12.1.0, hekate v5.5.8 and the latest sigpatches from couple of days ago installed.

Have over 150 games on my Switch and the only game that doesn't want to run Pinball FX3 since the update. And I checked them all.

Before, the game worked just fine with all the DLC and tables installed. Now it boots into the game but when it start loading the title screen it freezes the title picture in the middle of it and always at the same spot. Shortly after it displays the message "could not start software due to an error".

I tried many previous versions but they all act the same, freezes at the same spot so it looks like there is definitely something wrong with the atmosphere or sigpatches.

I also tried installing with the different installer Goldleaf and Awoo directly from the SD card and the result is always the same.

What is funny, though, is that if I install just the base game and the update without DLCs it works just fine but when I start installing DLCs, even just one of it, it starts freezing up at the title screen.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the latest atmosphere 0.19.5, the latest firmware 12.1.0, hekate v5.5.8 and the latest sigpatches from couple of days ago installed.

Have over 150 games on my Switch and the only game that doesn't want to run Pinball FX3 since the update. And I checked them all.

Before, the game worked just fine with all the DLC and tables installed. Now it boots into the game but when it start loading the title screen it freezes the title picture in the middle of it and always at the same spot. Shortly after it displays the message "could not start software due to an error".

I tried many previous versions but they all act the same, freezes at the same spot so it looks like there is definitely something wrong with the atmosphere or sigpatches.

I also tried installing with the different installer Goldleaf and Awoo directly from the SD card and the result is always the same.

What is funny, though, is that if I install just the base game and the update without DLCs it works just fine but when I start installing DLCs, even just one of it, it starts freezing up at the title screen.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

Have you tried the Maintenance mode method?

Vanjica24

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It worked perfectly!
Thank you so much!
I had a feeling that solution is fairly simple and glad I was right :)

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Trishul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, Have you ever seen issue where:
After deleting NSP installs that won't load due to corruption or other errors with system Data Management applet, console shows less than actual space left on SD card. Each time at NSP deletion, console showed wrong install size, always much smaller, than actual NSP size. Goldleaf was used for NSP installs and I even tried removing unused tickets. I checked SD card on a PC and storage space is accurate and definitely much more than shown by Switch.
I've tried all the steps in your useful guide. Can you suggest how to recover this "lost" storage on SD card from console's perspective? Thanks!

Walo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Was having issues booting like half my games after updating Atmosphere from 0.16 to 1.1 and my FW from 11.1 to 13.0.

Half of my games were booting into error and black screens. But I ended up updating with you sigpatches found here https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/ and they all seem to be working properly now.

Thanks.

Edit: Actually no. I redownloaded the games that were having issues and they're still giving me the "Unable to start software" error. I'll go through a more detailed step by step following your guide and see if that fixes it.

Last edited by Walo,

Drawerpunpunk

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i tried anything from this guide, the problem still remain, Ai somnium file can't be loaded and i can't even reinstall it with dbi or anything else

Attachments

• 2021100915475500-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg
    2021100915475500-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 12

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello and congratulations for the wonderful guide.

I've ended up to initialize method but now I can't install anything because I only can run applet mode and any Cartridge I insert cannot be read for some reason, I don't have any games in other words to start the title installers with R pressed. My sysmmc is under 13 while my EMUmmc is 11.01 under atmosphere 1.1.1

What can I do now? Can you help me?

Edit 1: I have to use specific sigpatches according to switch version or anything in latest Deepsea's package will work?

Edit2(last): I managed with DBI installer to install a game (that can run from applet mode) but the problem that remains is what I'm going to do with Cartridges... Still it won't read anything, I just get error message when I insert any game...

Last edited by stsaerox,

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Is this topic Dead or can I trust it for troubleshooting? Except some missing info about atmoshere v1 and above seems ok.

Edit: please delete this post Ive just checked the other answers, my bad...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello and congratulations for the wonderful guide.

I've ended up to initialize method but now I can't install anything because I only can run applet mode and any Cartridge I insert cannot be read for some reason, I don't have any games in other words to start the title installers with R pressed. My sysmmc is under 13 while my EMUmmc is 11.01 under atmosphere 1.1.1

What can I do now? Can you help me?

Edit 1: I have to use specific sigpatches according to switch version or anything in latest Deepsea's package will work?

Edit2(last): I managed with DBI installer to install a game (that can run from applet mode) but the problem that remains is what I'm going to do with Cartridges... Still it won't read anything, I just get error message when I insert any game...
How do you launch Atmosphere?

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
How do you launch Atmosphere?

From hekate 5.6.2
[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=0
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
backlight=100

[CFW - emuMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
emummcforce=1
atmosphere=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp

[Stock - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
emummc_force_disable=1
stock=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp

[CFW - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: https://youtube.com/shorts/52YAkk71E90?feature=share