Tutorial [Guide] How to fix Switch games not booting after a FW/CFW update

Loltag22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You didn't have to reinstall the games?
No, I copy paste the old nintendo folder and all worked properly. I think the problem is in the haruko's patch maybe? I don't know, I'm sure the file were correctly inserted in the SD (tried the same package in another switch and all worked istantly, but on mine no)

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No, I copy paste the old nintendo folder and all worked properly. I think the problem is in the haruko's patch maybe? I don't know, I'm sure the file were correctly inserted in the SD (tried the same package in another switch and all worked istantly, but on mine no)
I'm thinking some file corruption on the NAND side of sorts, but who knows.
It's helpful to know that copying the Nintendo folder can make it work too.

Hardback247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking some file corruption on the NAND side of sorts, but who knows.
It's helpful to know that copying the Nintendo folder can make it work too.

ShadowOne333, I'm new to this site, so I don't know how to send a private message to you. I feel like it's important to tell you. Could you please help me?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I found your Twitter account, and I sent a message to you through that. It has to do with the Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 SNES color restoration patch you made.
Oh huh, I haven't checked Twitter much lately, much less the inbox.
It's a little of topic, but if you want tell me quickly about it and I'll respond here.

Hardback247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realized that I need to make five posts in order to submit these photos to show you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There is something I feel you should fix on that Yoshi's Island GBA color restoration patch you made. Many of the coins that are supposed to be regular yellow coins still have a slight red tint, and many of the coins that are red don't have that red tint before collecting them. It happens a lot throughout the game. Could you please fix it?

Last edited by Hardback247,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I realized that I need to make five posts in order to submit these photos to show you.

There is something I feel you should fix on that Yoshi's Island GBA color restoration patch you made. Many of the coins that are supposed to be regular yellow coins still have a slight red tint, and many of the coins that are red don't have that red tint before collecting them. It happens a lot throughout the game. Could you please fix it?
Mmmm that was years ago, but from what I remember, I think the palette itself is shared with other assets/sprites, so if I were to modify the palette, other things might end up being recoloured.
I think I also had some trouble with the 3D objects' palette.
I'll see what I can do about it, but I can't guarantee a fix for it if that is indeed the case.

Hardback247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mmmm that was years ago, but from what I remember, I think the palette itself is shared with other assets/sprites, so if I were to modify the palette, other things might end up being recoloured.
I think I also had some trouble with the 3D objects' palette.
I'll see what I can do about it, but I can't guarantee a fix for it if that is indeed the case.

Left: The original SNES.

Middle: Your GBA patch. Notice how the middle line of coins doesn't have the red tint.

Right: Your GBA patch. The coins being carried by the balloon have a red tint, but they aren't red coins.

Attachments

• 86kf8jb2.jpg
    86kf8jb2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Ibky460d.jpg
    Ibky460d.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Fys-8ml0.jpg
    Fys-8ml0.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by Hardback247,

Hardback247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what? I played the game on the Switch just now, and it turns out, the colors are correct! Never mind. However, I have another question. The color restoration ROM for the first Super Mario Advance has never been finished. Think you could try and finish it? The programs used for it are under the "Read Me" file.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2124/

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You know what? I played the game on the Switch just now, and it turns out, the colors are correct! Never mind. However, I have another question. The color restoration ROM for the first Super Mario Advance has never been finished. Think you could try and finish it? The programs used for it are under the "Read Me" file.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2124/
I'd recommend created a new topic, and if you want, tag me in it so we can continue there.

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ShadowOne333 Thanks a lot for writing this guide! A couple of things in the guide you might want to update though:

1. Kosmos and Haruko's sigpatches thread are both dead/outdated; you might want to replace those with Deepsea and your new sigpatch thread.
2. Devmenu no longer works on firmware 10 or greater.

Last edited by hiroakihsu,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@ShadowOne333 Thanks a lot for writing this guide! A couple of things in the guide you might want to update though:

1. Kosmos and Haruko's sigpatches thread are both dead/outdated; you might want to replace those with Deepsea and your new sigpatch thread.
3. Devmenu no longer works on firmware 10 or greater.
Thanks for pointing that out!
I have updated the OP to reflect the latest changes.

Reactions: Lupi and hiroakihsu
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: https://youtu.be/bcwkMfoUATc No more SteamDeck waits