Guide - Enter Wii Homebrew: Install the Backup Launcher in any Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by davidsl_128, Mar 15, 2009.

1. davidsl_128
    OP

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    There are many guides around the net on downgrading, installing the Homebrew Channel, using the Backup Launcher... but few guides have put all of that together, and as far a I know none include pictures for almost every step!

Wii users from around the world, I give you...

[​IMG]

Whether you're a newbie that has no idea what this is all about, or if you are a well informed person that just wants to keep it safe, this is the guide for you! No more dead ends, no more wondering if you're on the right track! With this guide, you'll be playing Wii and GameCube backup games and playing with homebrew apps in no time!

Ok, now seriously, taking these pictures really was a hassle since I had to get my Wii back to 3.4 and follow my guide to take them, but I think it really was worth it. The guide really looks nice and it's easy to follow - if I may say so. So if you are one of those people that always likes to know they're on the right track, you should really try this guide [​IMG]

Download the zip file here:
    Megaupload Link (Updated!)

The PDF guide uses some fonts I downloaded from the internet, download them here to see the guide the way it was meant to be:
    Megaupload Link (Fonts not made by me!)

Files included:
    • PDF guide
    • Twilight Hack for all system menus
    • The Homebrew Channel 1.0.1 installer
    • Autoboot Backup Launcher channels by NeoRame
    • "cIOS249 rev8.wad" file (provided by WiiBlaster)
    • All the apps you need for the guide
    You'll need to get these by your own means:
    • Wii console with a Wiimote and a Nunchuk
    • SD card of 2 G or less capacity
    • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess game disc
    • "IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad" file and "cios_fix.wad" (or "cios_249.wad") (the guide will tell you how to get these)
    • GameCube controller (optional)
    I recommend that you connect your Wii to the internet for this, since the offline method is a bit trickier and doesn't have pictures included [​IMG]

The full credits are in the guide, but I would like to thank some people here:
    • Ether2802 for making a guide to downgrade without internet, and for giving me the idea of adding pictures.
    • Afif95 for letting me use his Preloader guide and for helping me when I had questios about my guide (ironic, isn't it? I needed help to help others [​IMG] ). Click here to read his full guide!
    • And NeoRame for letting me bundle his Wii-ish Backup Launcher channels. You should take a look at his thread!
    If you have any comments, suggestions or questions, feel free to post them here [​IMG]

2. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    I haven't read the guide yet, but:

"cIOS249 rev8.wad" is illegal. The installer is fine. If you wanna do it the offline way, best off telling the users to fetch "IOS36_64_v1042.wad", put it in the root of the SD Card, then launch the cIOS 36 rev08 installer, install using "wad installation" method.

3. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    With "the offline way", you mean installing the Backup Launcher custom IOS, right?

4. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Yeah that's what he meant..!! [​IMG]

BTW: Where is the guide..????

5. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    I had to take it down but I'm uploading it back it should be there in 10 minutes or so [​IMG]

EDIT: it's up again [​IMG]

6. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Yay I uploaded the title to Photobucket [​IMG]

7. Cygoku

Banned Cygoku Banned

Canada
    Gamma channel, best stupid way to loose nand space. Just like mine, there is already dozen of noob guide.

Cygoku

8. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    SORRY for asking but why making a new one ( guide for dummies ) if there is a ( guide for dummies ) that exists [​IMG] , check out my Signature Please [​IMG] peace
    and how are you making such a guide if you have to ask about such detail ??? and the answer is NO the "the offline way" have nothing to do with ( Backup Launcher ) it is for any cIOS Installation you have the choice to Install using an Internet Connection or using the Original Wad File in the root of your SD Card and install from WAD this is the "the offline way" , and please don't take me wrong but the last thing we want to have here is a guide that will create more issues with new members and we will have to deal with it later , thanks for understanding [​IMG]

9. Cygoku

Banned Cygoku Banned

Canada
    Don't we all need internet-attention ??

Cygoku

10. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    I didn't say that [​IMG] , you will be the one to blame for it [​IMG]

11. afif95

Malaysia
    Dude, cios_fix.wad and cios249.wad is OLD.

As I said, use the official offline method to ensure you have the latest cIOS [​IMG]

12. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Man, this got more complex than I thought it would... if someone thinks that my guide is outdated or pointless just don't use it [​IMG] I had made a safe, simple way of doing all this stuff because my friends wanted to softmod their Wiis and knew nothing about homebrew, and I uploaded it just because. I know that there are tons of better guides [​IMG] So if you think another guide is better, just use that one... I know it sounds lazy, but I'm happy how it ended up and really don't see the point in changing it.

By the way, afif95, is there another way to fix WAD installations in 3.3/3.4 other than with cios_fix? I really want to know [​IMG] If it's easier I may put it in the guide (only two or three people will look at it anyway, but oh well...)

13. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    By the way, I used some weird fonts in the guide so you should download them to see the guide the right way (link below the guide download link)

14. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    I had seen it before (I used it once; it's really nice) but it doesn't have pictures so I thought uploading mine was a good idea [​IMG]

15. afif95

Malaysia
    wii_128, PM me the .doc file. I'll mod the steps and files for you.

16. donkhe

Newcomer donkhe Newbie

United States
    A lot of work for something that already exists since a while [​IMG]

wiiguide.co.cc