Tutorial [Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Superdio

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't have a windows pc at home:
is there a way to install roms on the wii U without using third parties programs or usb helper?
if so, how and which format should the roms be?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by godreborn,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's an exploit for boot1 I believe, but no one has developed anything from it. there's a list of exploits and how they work on wiiubrew iirc. afaik, no one is working on it, but I don't know for sure.

danoobiewiiubie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is still a great guide. The only 2 problems I have come across are below:

#1 - The Homebrew Appsotre link has a 404 error (HBAS1.5). Whenever or wherever else I download HBAS1.5, the zip folder is empty...

So for the Homebrew appstore I'm not up-to-date... and therefore, I am using a beta one.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? If not, can somebody link me to a download that isn't empty?

#2 - Here goes issue #2 -> I still have no idea where to get the download files to hack into the Virtual Wii within the WiiU.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
#1 - The Homebrew Appsotre link has a 404 error (HBAS1.5). Whenever or wherever else I download HBAS1.5, the zip folder is empty...

So for the Homebrew appstore I'm not up-to-date... and therefore, I am using a beta one.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? If not, can somebody link me to a download that isn't empty?

here ==>https://apps.fortheusers.org/wiiu

#2 - Here goes issue #2 -> I still have no idea where to get the download files to hack into the Virtual Wii within the WiiU.
For the Wii U vwii mode ==>https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/vwii-modding or here ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

danoobiewiiubie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did end up eventually successfully completing step 3, but In a failed effort to perform the Backup sysnand (step 3) I thought I needed to install mocha.

So I opened haxchi and downloaded it from the homebrew appstore, and then loaded/installed it from homebrew channel. Afterwards, I deleted mocha from the homebrew channel because I was hoping that would uninstall mocha. I'm still not sure if I installed mocha well, or if I am even using mocha anymore... though I think I recall seeing the mocha logo pop up on my screen at least once after deletion. Anyways, will my mocha situation matter if I just want to run some games via Wup Installer? In other words, Should I even worry about trying to uninstall mocha?

Otherwise, here is the slightly less annoying problem I'm having
So I kinda skipped over step 4 (game loading methods), because I wanted to hack the vWii before worrying about Wii U games. I plan on using my HDD which I for some reason partitioned into WBFS and Fat32 back when I had a hacked Wii but an un-hacked Wii U. The only pain in the butt I discovered thus far is that in order for the HDD to work I have to plug it in after running USB Loader GX on the virtual Wii. Does anybody know how to fix that issue? An update of something? A different USBloader? A way of transferring from WBFS to a WII U formatted external HDD?

Depending on the workaround (or lack thereof) I might just have two different external HDDs. One for my Wii U & the other one would be for the virtual Wii.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

if you want two external hard drives:

1) for the vwii mode hard drive, connect it to the back of the console. And use ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

2) for the external hard drive to format Wii U, connect it to the front of the console.

But be aware that you can have on the same external hard drive (format wii U) ==> wii, wii U and Gamecube games. And use Usbhelper and WiiVC Injector Script (GC / Wii / Homebrew Support) ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/working-fix-easy-install-wii-u-usb-helper-0-6-1-655.535214/ ==> https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

BattlingNebula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Is this method fixed with today's update? I am unable to take NAND backup. It says "failed to open /otp.bin for writing! Error.. rebooting!"

EDIT: I resolved the issue now! The SD card sleeve I was using was in 'locked' position. Just slid the slider upwards and everything is fine! ✌

Last edited by BattlingNebula,

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to hack my Wii U now, but since there's so much information and ways to do it, I'd like a few things clarified if possible. Is there a best way to hack it? I see several different ways to do it. Do I need to purchase a DS game for some of the methods? Is the Ds method or without a DS game method better than the other?

This is my first time hacking a console so I don't wanna screw it up if I can help it.

Reactions: BattlingNebula

BattlingNebula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'm looking to hack my Wii U now, but since there's so much information and ways to do it, I'd like a few things clarified if possible. Is there a best way to hack it? I see several different ways to do it. Do I need to purchase a DS game for some of the methods? Is the Ds method or without a DS game method better than the other?

This is my first time hacking a console so I don't wanna screw it up if I can help it.
I hacked my Wii U for the first time yesterday. My Wii U was on 5.5.5 while doing it and from what I read usually, purchasing a DS VC game and installing Haxchi into it is the most reliable one. You can rely on browserhax but IMO, it's better to purchase a DS virtual console game and having it downloaded and installing haxchi into it. So that way even if the browserhax website is taken down or Wii U eshop is taken down, you'll always have one reliable way to load homebrew on the console.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hacked my Wii U for the first time yesterday. My Wii U was on 5.5.5 while doing it and from what I read usually, purchasing a DS VC game and installing Haxchi into it is the most reliable one. You can rely on browserhax but IMO, it's better to purchase a DS virtual console game and having it downloaded and installing haxchi into it. So that way even if the browserhax website is taken down or Wii U eshop is taken down, you'll always have one reliable way to load homebrew on the console.
Hello,

just an info:

I confirm, I have Haxchi install with a DS virtual console game buy from the Eshop, and everything works fine.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thank you, I was wondering about the 5.5.5 release and how it might affect things.

I have one Black Wii U that I stopped modding after installing Haxchi onto a DS game downloaded from the eshop and I have a White Wii U that I haven't touched and need to mod. I think the are both on 5.5.2 or 5.5.3.

Guess I should stop being lazy and get them modded before it's too late.

Last edited by ca032769,

luibee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just sucessfully installed Haxchi on My Wii U, I use an external HDD for game files.
I now want to play Wii games also, do I need another HDD?
ps: also got a system update today. Wonder it could do anything to the hack.
thanks guys.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just sucessfully installed Haxchi on My Wii U, I use an external HDD for game files.
I now want to play Wii games also, do I need another HDD?
ps: also got a system update today. Wonder it could do anything to the hack.
thanks guys.

yes, for virtual wii or use the same hdd with injects. I wouldn't do that latter unless it's games you really like, because you have a 292 game limit.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have any idea why my JPN GBA VC game doesn't work on Loadiine? I downloaded it using the Wii u usb helper and unpacked it for loadiine but when I launch in loadiine the console just freezes on a black screen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: Psi gets a nickel each time he bricks something