1. Noizecreep

Noizecreep Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    Hi there,

Quick question - is it necessary to have an external HDD for hacking the Wii U side? I basically only want to hack the Wii U side so that I can use the wuphax method to hack the vWii side (therefore no game disc required) and possibly have a few forwarders installed on the Wii U side that point to the various emulators I will use on vwii mode. I don't think I will get into WUP installing Wii U titles for a long time yet and will probably only use the Wii U side for playing Wii U game discs or buying a few VC titles from the e-store.

I only have 1 external (powered) HDD and that is formatted for all of my games to be used on the vWii side. I don't plan to use Ustealth as I understand that it is incompatible with some emulators and Nintendon't, but If I'm correct - that's fine and I'll just have to say No to a formatting nag each time I switch to Wii U mode?

Appreciate any insight you can offer! Thanks!

jeannotte likes this.
  2. BaamAlex

BaamAlex Eduard Pinguingummihals!

Germany
    If you use cbhc you can "skip" this nag. Just boot to the vwii menu after powering on the console. For the case you don't want to play wii u games ofc.

No. You need an sd card. HDD will not work.

alexander1970 and jeannotte like this.
  3. Noizecreep

Noizecreep Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    Thanks - I'll look into CBHC. I had heard that it is a bit more dangerous tho if you don't know what you're doing? And I am most definitely a noob at these things!

Sorry I wasn't completely clear in my first message - completely understand I need an SD card for doing all the hacking, I was just wondering if a HDD is required at all for any channel installations or if there is enough room on the Nand... Not sure what channels would go on the Nand, maybe that's only for injections actually... and I don't know if I need to do that.

jeannotte likes this.
  4. BaamAlex

Germany
    Channels can be installed on the nand yes. But remember, the console has only 32gb storage That is not much space. And that's the reason why the people recommend a hdd. Install your games on it and you're good to go.

CBHC isn't dangerous as long as you follow the rules. Means, use a legit ds vc game from the eshop, don't move the game to usb, don't format the console with installed cbhc, don't delete the game in the data management. For the case you don't want to use it anymore, uninstall it via cbhc installer.

5. Africans

Africans Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    -

Last edited by Africans, Jun 16, 2020
  6. BaamAlex

Germany
    ??? What do you want?

7. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    afaik, the only thing you have to look out for now with cbhc is formatting or deleting the user associated with the ds game. I don't recommend cbhc unless you're the only person who plays the system. I wouldn't trust family or friends.

alexander1970 and Noizecreep like this.
  8. Noizecreep

Noizecreep Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    Many thanks both - I’ve looked into it now and yes it doesn’t seem too bad actually, and I will be the only person using the system (no kids yet!) so it should be fine.

jeannotte, BaamAlex and godreborn like this.
  9. BaamAlex

Germany
    That's fine. Kids can be hard. Or for the case you have children in the future, use a pin in the data management. Or put a sticker on the console (like me, for the case children plays with my system :D) which says "DON'T FORMAT!!!", but in my case in german xD

10. JeffMcFuck

JeffMcFuck Newbie
    Newcomer

Costa Rica
    can a brother get some help here? I just bought a 64 gb sd (it's a microSD with an adapter) and I formatted it to fat32 32k using guiformat. I also had to use an sd to usb adapter because I just have a desktop with no sd port (don't know if that has anything to do, but just in case). But when I run the browser exploit I get the message "FSGetMountSource failed. Please insert a FAT32 formatted sd card.". I tried formatting the card again with guiformat and putting the files again and nothing, I don't know if my sd card or the usb adapter are giving me problems, but I haven't been able to get past this.
    (Edit: my brother recommended to do a full format instead of a quick one since the sd card is new, doing that now)

Last edited by JeffMcFuck, Jun 18, 2020
  11. BaamAlex

Germany
    First try to reset the browser's save data and then go straight back to the website. If it still doesn't work, repeat the whole process, but format your SD card (FAT32) beforehand. Don't forget to save everything beforehand! Also make sure the data is all in the correct folder. You also need the "payload.elf" in "SD://wiiu/"!

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  12. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.

United States
    Eh, he probably edited his messages and couldn't figure out how to delete them or something.

Last edited by GuyInDogSuit, Jun 28, 2020 at 4:18 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Community, [Guide], hacking