1. vic_ent

vic_ent Newbie
    Newcomer

Spain
    Hi everyone! Hope you can throw some light here. I installed CBHC to my 5.5.3 european Wii U 32GB following this guide (from step 1 till method 5 of step 3), and have been enjoying it for a lot. But did not block the updates, my fault. Not enough with that, not paying attention to what was going on, console managed to update to 5.5.4. After that, I tried to launch a game that was working before, and -as expected- only an error appeared. Now I have been reading here about how to solve this, but I am not sure if this is still possible, and if so, what's path to follow to have everything working again. People talk about just reinstall CBHC. With reinstall, does this mean repeat only step 3, method 5? -> This is, starting with launch the DS game on top of which HaxChi was installed (and that currently is shown as a red triangle)? Or should I uninstall something first and repeat all the process from the beginning, step 1 and so on? Sorry for the noob question, I am quite nervous to mess everything and end up with brick. Many thanks in advance if someone can help!

EDIT: It seems I did not look well enough. When 5.5.3 appeared, the case was the same and there was a thread basically answering my question. So I just went ahead and installed again CBHC: click on red triangle, wii U reboots, press home button when shown in the tablet to enter hombrew launcher, tap on CBHC, tap on install, wii u reboot and everything works again. Writing this down here just in case it's helpful for anyone.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. vice350z

vice350z Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hello all...super newb member here. I hacked my 32GB WiiU last night following this guide. Thanks Kafluke. I just haVE 2 questions.

1. When backing up the NAND, what would be the reason to backup that huge 32GB portion? I've seen other guides telling you that you don't need to back up the huge 32GB file. i'm not exactly even sure what a NAND backup would help me with. I don't plan on doing anything crazy wiht my WiiU except backing up my discs to a external USB drive. Maybe at some point down the road possibly return it to stock should I ever sell it...which I believe doesn't involve needing the NAND backup for? Is the NAND backup pretty much for if something goes horribly wrong with my WiiU? If for some reason i ever needed a hardmod, i wouldn't even bother since I have ZERO soldering skills.

2. The SD Card...aside from using disc2app to rip my discs to the SD card...is it needed in there at all otherwise? Can disc2app, wup installer and hombrew launcher be installed to nand and no need for an SD card? Rip discs to USB and then install on USB?

3. Is it NOT a good idea to use an external that has no adapter but powered by the device its connected to? I got a 2TB WD My Passport drive that just has the USB cable and is powered once connected to the WiiU

EDIT: Well i think I just answered #3. External 2TB stopped working and got an error code 160-4714. Plugged into PC and it doesn't even come up for me to reformat. I just hear it spinning. I guess its dead.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  3. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

I've not touched my Wii U in years, last I recall it worked fine then somehow had a firmware update which made the web exploit buggy and often crashed, I've never touched it since because I had the games I wanted running from my USB and didn't really need the web exploit anymore (tho would be nice to find out if its easy to update my set up to use the GECKO cheat tool).

I plan on getting another Wii U for my son's xmas present, chances are its going to be on the latest firmware 5.4, which according to a certain site (not sure if i can mention it, so i wont) but I'm sure it was what i followed when i did mine.

It claims all Wii U consoles and firmwares can be done to run cfw, I plan on running games like I do but if possible from the 32GB internal, as I don't trust my 5 year old with a USB hdd.

Is it true that 5.4 can be done, if so ill read up the guide and give it a shot, if it cant then i guess this isn't the site i used (I'm 50/50 because you always find sites claiming current firmwares can be done, example like PS3JailBreak, shit loads of fake sites giving fake guides and files).

I'll have to wait until tonight when my son is in bed before I can check the consoles firmware, but I assume the likes of CEX when they check consoles and wipe them, they also perform firmware updates.

Thanks

4. ryguy2010

ryguy2010 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If you are running a laptop style external HDD, you need to use a y-cable. The usb ports on the Wii-U do not have enough power to run those type of drives.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

5.4 can be exploited from browser. I would suggest shelling out the $6 for the Brain game and installing haxchi. Then you won't have to keep having to use the web exploit to run homebrew.

5. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

would 5.4 be similar to mine, able to load tik games from internal or usb.

i dont remember exactly how i did mine back then, could do with catching up so i can update it so the web exploit works (which i dont mind doing).

but to run games they showed up as tiles on the home screen and just booted, would this still be the case if my sons console is 5.4 (my tools for grabbing games appears to still work as ive been grabbing some today).

6. ryguy2010

ryguy2010 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You have to copy the game's WUP folder to the root folder labeled install on the SD card you are using. Then use WUP installer to install the game. You then have to select if you want it installed on internal or external hdd.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also there was no difference between 5.3 and 5.4. Nintendo had to add somethings do to the new EU regulations on digital data.

Retroboy likes this.
  7. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

im just prepping all the files i think i need according to this site and probably do it tomorrow when hes at school.

8. mucas1001

mucas1001 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    im on the step where i gotta download the app store zip but the link is dead please help !!!!!!

9. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Maniac

France
    Hello,

App store ==>https://wiiubru.com/appstore/#/

alexander1970 likes this.
  10. NoUNO

NoUNO Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Is there a way to copy the folders and organization in the Wii U Menu from one Mii to another? I got everything organized on mine then when I had the kids make their own Mii's all the icons were just dumped in the menu without any of the organization that I did on mine. Would rather not manually redo all the folders 3 more times.

11. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    There is no native function for doing that. Menu organization is stored in storage_mlc:/usr/save/00050010/menuTitleID/user/8000000x/BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat. menuTitleID is 10040100 for US consoles.

You need iosuhax and the appropriate ftpiiu_everywhere for the hack you're using. Then you can use an ftp client on your PC to copy the file from one ID to the others.

NoUNO likes this.
  12. danimal25

danimal25 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey Kafluke,

Thank you so much for your guide. It has been very helpful. My question is if you (or any others that have successfully hacked using this method) can send pictures of all the files/folders on the SD and how you've organized them? I would like to check to make sure I have all my files in the right place. Thank you so much!

Thank you,

Dan

13. confusedperson

Newcomer

United States
    I've been following this tutorial (had to add a couple spaces to get the link to post)
    htt ps://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to- play-gamecube-ps1-n64-games-from-the-wiiu-gamepad.489122/

All I want to do is get an N64 emulator running on the Wii U. I can't for the life of me get this to work. I wasted my entire Sunday on it and failed.

After many hours, I got Wii64 to install precisely ONCE, and then it didn't work -- it led to a black screen. Yes, I used that extra program you're supposed to upload first; it didn't matter, same results either way. And guess what -- for some reason I can only install it once. I deleted the app and reinstalled it...or rather tried to, but I keep getting the "DLC / eshop require sig patch" message. And yes, I am holding down the right button. Holding down that button worked only one time, and now it no longer does. I get the error no matter how long or how hard I hold down the right button. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????????

Do any of you have any idea why?

14. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

United States
    I'm confused by you, but have you tried other emulators (I think there are two for Wii U)?
    Maybe you aren't loading haxchii or mocha first?
    Check your SD, but I really think for the "easy" fix, go with another N64 emulator. I know there was an issue I had with PSX and I had to try a different emulator to get it to run BoF III, but there was an issue with saves and controls.

Try everything. Literally, everything.

alexander1970 and jeannotte like this.
  15. confusedperson

Newcomer

United States
    I did load haxchi first.

I tried the other N64 emulator (Not64). Same result: "DLC / eshop require sig patch"
    I tried reinstalling WUMP or whatever it's called. Same result. "DLC / eshop require sig patch"
    I tried reinstalling Hakchi. Same result. "DLC / eshop require sig patch"

Any other ideas out there?

jeannotte likes this.
  16. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

United States
    Make a video/take pics.
    I'm sure it's really simple to fix.

alexander1970 and jeannotte like this.
  17. confusedperson

Newcomer

United States
    Just so we're clear, this is what the config file in Haxchi says:
    a=fw.img
    b=sysmenu
    default=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf

So B is the button to hold down. But it doesn't work.
    hack1.jpg hack2.jpg hack3.jpg hack4.jpg

H1B1Esquire and jeannotte like this.
  18. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Boot the console
    Run Haxchi
    Immediately press and hold B
    See the menu reinitialize. Now you're patched until you boot again.
    If you see Homebrew Launcher, you either didn't press B in time, or you haven't reinstalled Haxchi since you changed the config file.
    When you're back at the menu, Run Haxchi again
    Don't press anything
    Wait for HBL
    Run WUPInstaller
    Select the install
    Hit the install button
    Hit NAND
    Don't press B here

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  19. confusedperson

Newcomer

United States
    Ah! Thank you!

Wii64 installed fine....the "Rice" variant did not. I had trouble just prepping it. When I put Rice into the WiiVC Injector, I got the message "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application" and "startIndex cannot be longer than length of string." Also, no pre-generated Title ID appears in the GamePad/Meta Options tab. I've heard there are some games that will only run on the Rice version.

Not64 did install, but froze after the Wii logo.

And guess what? Wii64 worked PRECISELY ONCE....AND NEVER AGAIN. I turned off the console, started it up again, loaded sign_c2w_patcher, booted Wi64...and got a frozen black screen. And it happened the next seven times I tried, no matter what. Even tried reinstalling it. Black screen. I got to enjoy Wii64 ONLY ONCE.

WHY????

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  20. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Now that you've sorted out your issue with the hack/installation, you should ask for help with your injects in an inject-specific thread. That said, here's a couple of tips:
    Regarding creating the launchers, imagine what google would find if the tutorial's author had posted the exact same tutorial on another site that isn't so careful about its linked files. It's easier to make progress when you know you're starting from a point that worked for someone else.

As for your problem with Wii64 only running once, keep in mind that these are just forwarders. You should be looking at replacing/repairing the actual app files or directories on your SD card (the parts that you downloaded from github), not just the forwarder's installation.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Community, [Guide], hacking