[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    I've used USB download helper before to install some games, most stuff I've gotten from the Wii U Isos forums. They stopped running USB download helper, didn't they? It looks like the sleep function for USB storage devices is enabled. Should I turn it off?

Last edited by robco7, Sep 28, 2019
  2. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    robco7 likes this.
  3. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    Unfortunately I lost my other SD card with most of the stuff I've been unable to install and I haven't been able to find it these past few days, but it seems to be working. I still can't install anything directly to my external hard drive so there might be issues with that in itself, and I wasn't able to install one thing directly onto the NAND, but when I tried to install it with a USB stick, it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot for the help, it looks like this might have hopefully taken care of it.

4. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    do you use a y-cable for your HDD.might be a Lack of power.or try a different cable if you have one.if you installed wup installer as a channel you need to put the files on your usb

robco7 likes this.
  5. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    Yeah, the HDD's hooked up to the WiiU with a y cable. I have to access WUP Installer through Haxchi after running the CFW, I'm not sure if that counts as a separate channel. What do you mean by a lack of power?

6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    hdd going to sleep? is the hdd being detected in system settings? there's a secret menu to disable going to sleep. I think it writes a small file to the hdd every few seconds or something to keep it from going to sleep.

robco7 likes this.
  7. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    ij
    f you have a y cable your good, the 1 is for data the second one for power because the wii u is usb 2.0 and doesn't have enough power.maybe hdd is faulty,or you can try reformatting

robco7 likes this.
  8. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    I've been wondering about that, I wondered if when I was traveling with it, if it got bumped while in my bag or something and that caused some sort of internal damage. But would that be the reason I was getting errors even while installing directly to the NAND?

I also have a friend who used to have a modded Wii U who said it might be that I have too many games on it, because he did and it was having problems, I think maybe he said it started getting better when he was clearing stuff off. I don't know if he was referring to installing games to the external HDD only or the NAND or both, if that made a difference.

Last edited by robco7, Oct 7, 2019
  9. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    i put all my games on usb hdd(except haxchi game) so i don't know about the nand,but i do know hdd's loses a lot off speed when they get full.also i use wup installer gx2 from http://wiiubru.com/appstore/#/app/wup_installer_gx2

robco7 and jeannotte like this.
  10. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

@ robco7:

You can not install a lot of games on the Nand of the Wii U (Wii u black ==> 32 GB maximum (approx), Wii U white ==> 8GB maximum (approx).

That's why people use an external hard drive.

robco7 likes this.
  11. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    You mean there are some games that can't be installed onto a black Wii U's NAND even if there's plenty of space?
    I actually have a pretty big HDD, and even if I have a lot of stuff installed, I've never actually used more than a fraction of the HDD's space, because I don't think I have any Wii U games installed on it. Is just a high number of files as bad?

Last edited by robco7, Oct 9, 2019
  12. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    I believe if you use your external hard drive you'll need to move off what's already on it. The Wii U will format it to a proprietary file system that can not be read by a computer. Any file left on the drive after format will be lost.

The number of files on he drive just means it'll have to search for them a little longer if its filled up. Not sure if I agree that the little extra time it takes to read these files is significantly noticeable. I'd get a large drive & load it up!!!

jeannotte likes this.
  13. jeannotte

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

@ Robco7:

If you can install games on the Nand, but not as much as an external hard drive, since you only have 32 GB on the Wii U.

14. AMoses

AMoses Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2019
    Australia
    Hey guys,
    New here. Some help would be appreciated.

I've just backed up my sysnand onto my sd card (33GB total). Next step is WUP Installer Method for me:

WUP Installer Instructions
    Prerequisites: You will need to have a Wii U formatted USB Hard Drive. A Fat32 hard drive will not work.

1. Visit this link on your PC and download WUP Installer GX2 elf version (will need to be launched from HBL).
    2. Place your Wii U SD card and extract the contents of the zip to the root of your SD card overwriting and merging when prompted.

Downloaded linked file. Step 2 asks to copy extracted contents (wup_installer_gx2 file) of zip to root of SD card to overwrite and merge, but there's no other file with the same name, so nothing to overwrite/merge.
    Is that right or have i missed something?

Last edited by AMoses, Oct 15, 2019
  15. AMoses

AMoses Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2019
    Australia
    Nevermind, all set!

Now I just need a wiiu usb helper alternative...

16. jeannotte

Jun 15, 2016
    France
  17. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Okay, question...

Followed the WiiU.guide, using Mocha CFW... most recently finally got a couple of WiiU based games, and was able to do disc2app and the WUP installer to have them show up as digital games on the list. That part's all well and good. The only issue, at present, is that at present, it seems I keep getting an error when the games themselves want to do their own updates. At least looking up the error code implies a DNS issue. I also notice periodically when starting up the WiiU, it seems to keep trying to run a system update, even though it is on 5.5.3U, which I find strange for obvious reasons.

Also another, probably noobish question, but... I was able to use NNUpatcher to get on the eShop and for the sake of testing, download a demo. It installed and played fine enough after a couple of attempts, buuut, how would I uninstall it after I'm done with it? At least from the system settings, I'm not seeing any obvious way to do so.

18. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    the wii u will look for system updates and install them automatically. if you've blocked updates, it will still check for them. you'll just get a generic "download failed" error then.

19. jimmytwoshoes

jimmytwoshoes Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2019
    United States
    Hey, managed to get browserhax done and got to the homebrew browser/haxchi install screen but my wiiu gamepad is fucked.

The touchpad is basically useless so I had to use the pro controller and a USB keyboard to enter the website for browserhax.

Is the wiiu gamepad the only way to choose an option on the homebrew loader screen?

20. jimmytwoshoes

jimmytwoshoes Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2019
    United States
    Hey, managed to get browserhax done and got to the homebrew browser/haxchi install screen but my wiiu gamepad is fucked.

The touchpad is basically useless so I had to use the pro controller and a USB keyboard to enter the website for browserhax.

Is the wiiu gamepad the only way to choose an option on the homebrew loader screen?

21. jimmytwoshoes

jimmytwoshoes Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2019
    United States
    Double posted. On mobile couldn't find the delete post button.

Last edited by jimmytwoshoes, Oct 22, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted