[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. RAdamantiS

RAdamantiS Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2018
    Italy
    Hey guys,i'm completely new to Wii U hacking, I got a brand new Wii U Xenoblade Chronicles X limited edition,and I wanna know what options I have to mod it. Thanks :)

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it can be modded from disc, or from installed channel, up to you.
    the game will be faster to load if it's installed.
    you can convert the disc to app in order to install it fully, instead of just downloading the free DLC to seed few loadtime only.
    you don't need the DLC if you convert and install your disc, as the DLC is partially the disc content.

to mod it, you'll need a real time debugger (cafiine, or pygecko) and then a cheat code manager JgeckoU or a ready to use trainer. there are some dedicated XBX trainers with all you need in it.
    follow the instruction to learn how to use pyGecko (real time debugger) first. there are probably users who explained it in the 50 page thread too.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/xcxgecko-xenoblade-chronicles-x-trainer-gui-using-pygecko.406442/

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 7, 2019
  3. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Now the Wii-U is full abandoned by Nintendo, i'll go hack it when i'm out of the hospital.
    Got plenty of time on my hands when recovering at home in 2/3 weeks i hope (Week 6 now here in the hospital, still can't leave my room)

4. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    Do I need to put in the SD card to boot in CBHC? If not, what happens if I launch the homebrew launcher from the CBHC menu when the SD card is not inserted?

5. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you don't need the SD card to patch the firmware at boot, CBHC is installed inside the NDS game you bought officially.
    you need the SD card to launch homebrew launcher from its boot menu (wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf)

if you want you can launch HBL without the SD by installing the channel version. the app will be installed on the internal memory too instead of being on the SD.

But wouldn't it be completely useless to launch HBL without an SD card where you'd put your homebrew to launch ?
    Why would you want to launch the homebrew launcher if you don't have homebrew to launch?
    you need an SD card to put your homebrew there. no homebrew = no need of HBL. if homebrew on SD, you have an SD then just put HBL on it too.

if you try to launch it while you don't have SD card, nothing bad will happen.
    either it black screen, or give an error (file not found), or reboot, or launch sysmenu without patching the firmware.
    in every cases, just reboot the console and you're fine.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 8, 2019
    pLaYeR^^ likes this.
  6. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    @Cyan I‘m hacking my wii u for my girlfriend and I don‘t want her to accidentally do stuff in HBL. I‘m just asking because I‘m unsure if something bad (brick) can happen when there is no sd card inserted and you launch something in the CBHC menu (Boot HBL, Mocha, fw.img or vWii).

7. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    there shouldn't even be a reason she mess with the boot menu, it's usually booting automatically to patched system menu.
    unless she press Home at boot, and then ends in the boot menu, then there's nothing dangerous there. she can pick whatever option present here, if there's no "target homebrew" to load from SD, then nothing will happen.

If you are afraid she does something wrong that you can't just .. you know... explain to her, maybe you shouldn't put cbhc, because formatting or deleting the user will brick the console!
    it's sometime just easier to talk with the people and tell them : don't press home button at boot ! problem solved.
    with cbhc you need to teach her to not press home button, don't format, don't delete user or nnid, don't delete the "do not touch" app. if you are concerned about security and risk, haxchi is a far better solution, she just has to launch it once after each boot (if properly configured to auto-patch the firmware instead of booting hbl).

haxchi is safer, you can move/delete app/delete account/nnid/format, and nothing will happen. she just has to learn to "press it once" before playing games. kids can do it.
    one thing to teach compare to 5 with cbhc.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 8, 2019
    pLaYeR^^ likes this.
  8. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    @Cyan I know the risks of CBHC. That‘s why I set up parental control on the console to prevent her from doing anything dangerous. I was only unsure if there is a risk of a brick when launching stuff in CBHC menu without sd card. But since that’s not the case, everything is fine. Thanks! :)

Cyan likes this.
  9. Czn

Czn Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    EDIT: Found my own fix/work around through research.

Can someone please elaborate on Step 5: Installing CFW ?

I do not understand how to get the sigpatch sysNAND to work or keep HaxChi from messing up. I have done this 3 times now there either isn't enough explanation or I am missing something!
    I would love to have access to DLCs, VC and personally I want the HBL Channel but it will not work for some reason.
    Everything up to step 5 works perfectly fine until I change the values of the HaxChi Config files and reinstall HaxChi, after that step my HaxChi will not open and I get booted out to the WiiU Menu. Every time.

I'm following these steps...
    Method 1. HaxChi by itself
    1. Follow the intrustions in Step 2 to install HaxChi
    2. Setup HaxChi to autoboot to system menu by altering the file in the folder SD:\HaxChi\config.txt. Change the values to look like step 3 below.
    3. a=fw.img
      b=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf
      default=sysmenu
    4. re-install HaxChi from HBL over the top of your HaxChi DS title
    5. Now when you launch HaxChi you are in sigpatched sysNAND
    So what on earth am I missing or not doing right here?

Last edited by Czn, Aug 10, 2019
  10. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    The default that you configured is to return to the system (normal WiiU) menu. At that point, you are sigpatched. You won't see anything different, but if you do something that requires sigpatches (like trying to install an eshop package or DLC) it'll work.

If you're asking how to get into homebrew launcher once you're back at the menu, just run Haxchi a second time, but press B right after you launch it.

Czn likes this.
  11. Czn

Czn Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    Thank you, was not aware 1 simple button was the fix I needed...still new to this and had I known that 3 days ago I would have been a lot happier lmao but apparently there is more than one way to sigpatch and I fixed it!

Thanks!!

nexusmtz likes this.
  12. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    you can check if you're in cfw in settings menu (right upper corner) firmware wil say 999999 instead of 5.5.4.instal the hb as a channel and haxchi to autoboot in cfw is the best setup if you don't want to use cbhc.

13. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    don't do that.
    if you want to run HBL after haxchi has patched your sysmenu, run the HBL channel instead !

launching hbl more than once through haxchi AFTER patching CFW will crash/freeze.
    you can do that only once, if you want to re-run hbl without HBL channel installed, then run miimaker.

14. grcd

grcd Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Apologies for the n00b question: Can we use vWii hacking on 5.5.3? Because the only guide I can find on this here mentions specifically 5.5.1 only.

15. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yes, 5.5.3 and 5.54 (eu only)
    vwii hacking doesn't have any link to wiiu firmware version, unless you use the wiiu exploit to hack it, but then it works with all 5.5.x

16. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    In the question I responded to, the poster explained wanting to install the HBL channel, but couldn't, because HBL no longer came up after changing the haxchi config. You can't run the channel until you've installed it, and you can't install it if you don't know how to run HBL. Since this was an initial setup question, I made the same recommendation that's in the guide:

The guide does go on to explain that running it this way multiple times will hang the console. If there is an easier way to launch HBL after reconfiguring Haxchi during the initial setup, it should probably be added to the guide.

17. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yeah, an update would be great, but I don't have time to do it.
    we should rewrite lot of chapters. I already did the first 3.

I thought I explained it in the haxchi section.

without sigpath, either:
    - haxchi -> HBL (once only), miimaker on subsequent launches, because haxchi doesn't really launch HBL but install it into miimaker and launch miimaker.
    - hbl > sigpatch
    - haxchi > sigpatch

with sigpatch, either:
    - HBL channel
    - haxchi -> HBL (once only), miimaker on subsequent launches, because haxchi doesn't really launch HBL but install it into miimaker and launch miimaker.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 26, 2019
    nexusmtz likes this.
  18. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    HEY GUYS, My wiiu is still on 5.5.1, modded with HAXCHI, can I update to latest FW to play online??

19. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Yes, Haxchi works on 5.5.3/5.5.4.

20. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    so to play online i have to update my wiiu? and HAXchi is not patched if update from 5.5.1 to 5.5.4?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted