[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Kafluke Nov 29, 2016.

1. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    I keep forgetting even the most basic terminology, like cemu, haxchi, mocha, etc. I can't seem to even find a definition for any of these when I look for them, since the best I tend to find is definitions that use several other terms I'm not familiar with. That has to be what's really causing me to get lost, I actually find this stuff more difficult to understand than calculus. Do the 3DS and Switch hacking scenes use a lot of the same terms?

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    these are not terminology which need a definition, but homebrew names.

cemu = WiiU emulator for PC
    hax = common contraption word for "hack", for example browserhax = browser hack, the hack used by the browser to exploit a vulnerability to patch the firmware and launch homebrew
    haxchi = homebrew name of one of the "firmware patcher". it's the same as browserhax, but offline. Also include additional tools such as CFW, and homebrew launchers.
    Mocha = homebrew name of one of the "firmware patcher". it's the same as haxchi, except it's not installed on the console and you need to be in Homebrew Launcher to launch it.
    CBHC (cold boot hax chi) = haxchi, but launched automatically at console boot. (cold boot = at console's power OFF->ON)

did you read the guide?
    I wrote the information to explain what things are instead of just telling users what button to press unline all other guides.
    if you look into "haxchi", it tells you that it's a "multi purpose channel" and gives you all the features that channel does !

"HaxChi is a more reliable entry point than browserhax."
    "Haxchi is a multi-purpose channel, it contains 4 different features:"

maybe you don't understand entry point? that's the "place" the "vulnerability in the security" used by homebrew to "enter" into the system. the point of entry to hack a security.

we also have a "what is haxchi / CBHC ?" FAQ stickied in the forum. I recommend you read it to understand how it works before following the hacking guide.

Last edited by Cyan, Jun 23, 2019
    robco7 likes this.
  3. carloshmd

carloshmd Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2007
    Brazil
    I tried the injecting Paper Mario and two other games. All I've got is a black screen and the Wii U reboots. Do I have to move the GCN to the USB?
    Got Nintendont on the SD card, apps folder.

Actually, an edit: I injected those with the software that downloads games for the Wii U (the name won't come now!)

A second edit: Thanks to everyone, especially Cyan (https://gbatemp.net/members/cyan.746/), the guide writer, for the replies.

Last edited by carloshmd, Jun 24, 2019
  4. Oo_Dakota_oO

Oo_Dakota_oO Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2019
    United Kingdom
    does this work with the new 5.5.4 firmware cause i cant access the store to download a game for the exploit as i have to update to 5.5.4?

5. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    to acces the eshop
    if you want to do it right now you can launch homebrew channel with browserhax and use nnu-patcher (if it works) to acces the eshop.it worked on 5.5.2 to acces 5.5.3 eshop.or you can wait a few days until it's clear what 5.5.4 does(in my opinion not much)

6. Zaretul

Zaretul Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2019
    United States
    Just have one question guys. After i mode wii u, can i make it boot directly to wii mode without turning on the gamepad. I really want to do that.

7. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 13, 2016
    If you press B on the gamepad on boot, it will boot directly to vWii.
    You can try to do it on the wiimote and see if it works too, so you don't need the gamepad!
    (you need to sync the wiimote first, of course)

Zaretul likes this.
  8. wiinerdog

wiinerdog Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2008
    United States
    concerning the Installing haxchi section under the install entry point section:
    when you install the official NDS game from eshop, it says to remove all USB drives, should the SD card be removed as well?
    thanks!

9. toxic9

Dec 13, 2016
    nop!

btw, are you going to install haxchi or cbhc?
    are you on 5.5.4?

10. wiinerdog

wiinerdog Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2008
    United States
    thanks! i'm on 5.5.3 and i will probably install both. might add cbhc later.

11. blueolive0087

blueolive0087 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2019
    United States
    Hello Folks!

I've installed Coldboot Haxchi and installed a bunch of games of USB external HDD. I haven't homebrewed the Virtual Wii yet. That's where I need some guidance.

Is there a way to use Wii games (.iso or .wbfs) on Wii U along with Wii U games on USB drive? What I read so far indicates that requires another USB HD and also Wii U keeps prompting to format it on each reboot.

Is there a guide to hack Virtual Wii (after Wii U has Coldboot Haxchi)?
    Or Is there a way to install Wii games on Wii System menu (I found a few on USB Helper but not New Super Mario Bros for Wii)?

Thank you and I appreciate all the support! :)

12. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    wii vc injector can install games on the same usb drive ;vwii doesn't need to be hacked,wii games have to be in same region as your console. installs gc games as well that you can play with your wiiu gamepad
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

blueolive0087 likes this.
  13. chrisa1978

chrisa1978 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Australia
    Just a quick noob question. So if i uodate my console to 5.5.4 version I lose CBHC ? To reinstall CBHC i have go througb the app on homebrew and reinstall CBHC and that should be back to normal ? Just dont want to nrick my console thats all

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Last edited by chrisa1978, Jul 1, 2019
  14. toxic9

Dec 13, 2016
    Everything you said is right.
    But my advice is not no install cbhc. You just need to click on haxchi button when you need it and it is much much more safer. cbhc is very dangerous if you make any stupidity.

15. blueolive0087

blueolive0087 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2019
    United States
    Thank you! I have some questions that I posted in that thread. The instructions on the first post are not clear to me being s noob. I couldn't find a detailed guide on how to use that injector tool. Do you have a link?

Thank you!

16. chrisa1978

chrisa1978 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Australia
    Do i need to change the DNS settings again after ive installed Haxchi ?

17. toxic9

Dec 13, 2016
    I think you already have haxchi. What icon do you have on the DS game? What happens when you click on it?
    You should change your dns settings to prevent updating.. if it will be any 5.5.5!

18. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    Try this;

ca032769 and blueolive0087 like this.
  19. Ewpb

Ewpb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2013
    My CBHC has stopped after the latest update.

What's the easiest way to get it reinstalled? All I have is the exclamation marked do not touch app!

That just restarts, applies Haxchi and goes straight to the Wii U menu.

I don't seem to have a homebrew browser!

20. chrisa1978

chrisa1978 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Australia
    thats a screenshot of my wii u. I havny attempted the update yet [​IMG]

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted