[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Benjahmin82

Benjahmin82 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2018
    Sweden
    Hello thanks for super guide! I work trough it and came out successful on the other side!

One question:

Does this mean you cant download DS games from usb helper and install, I get confused of what a NUS is?

2. Flaya

Flaya GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    Flaya is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2015
    Sweden
    It means you can't use a pirated DS game to install haxchi

3. Benjahmin82

Benjahmin82 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2018
    Sweden
    Nice i have already downloaded and payed for it in eShop. My Wii U works fine after the hole operation and I have already installed a game with Wii U USB Helper. I choose Sigpatched sysNAND CBHC as my configuration, seemed like the guide in between the lines suggested that.

But my question is to be more specific: can you play 3DS games on my Sigpatched sysNAND CBHC? There is no results when i filter 3DS games in USB helper at all?

Last edited by Benjahmin82, Nov 26, 2018
  4. Flaya

Flaya GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2015
    Sweden
    You need the URL to that 3ds keys site to list 3ds games.. can't help you there tho.

You should however be able to play them, once you obtain them. Never installed any myself, except for the one I used for haxchi, so I can't say for sure.

5. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    You can install/play WIIU's 3DS Virtual Console titles, not actual 3DS titles.

6. Manos

Manos Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    Netherlands
    Guys is USB helper still works? Because I am reading that the title keys are not working anymore.

7. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
  8. Manos

Manos Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi guys,

I have a question for you. I downloaded wii sports club using usb helper and I installed it in my wii u. But it is saying it's a trial for 24h.
    Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks!

9. MattyWii

MattyWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    United States
    Hi, I am a newbie to this forum and have a couple of questions. I have been able to buy a refurbished wiiU which seems to be in good condition and has firmware 5.5.1 U on it. I have read through many posts here and needed help figuring out two things.

Firstly, my only reason for buying the console at the moment is to play couple of Mario Games such as New super Mario Bros or New Super Luigi or maybe Mario 3d world at most (no online game play just with family using old wii remotes) from a backup harddrive. Having said that should I upgrade my WiiU to version 5.5.2 or 5.5.3? It seems like the browser hack which is the easiest has the best results with 5.5.1 is that right?

Secondly, is there any chance of there being a more stable easier hack for wiiU to come out down the line? seems like the console has been abandoned by most. Before this I had hacked my WII using this same forum with something called letterbomb hack which took at most an hour to a noob like me and I have never looked back. We have enjoyed countless hours of family fun on that wii. Is something similar or close ever going to be possible for wiiU as there is no telling if down the line me or someone else in family will want to play the more advanced games like zelda etc.

Thanks for your time
    Matt

Last edited by MattyWii, Nov 30, 2018
  10. Flaya

Flaya GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2015
    Sweden
    I'd say update.

I did and my total time for exploit and setting up was ~ 45min.

Just follow the guide HERE.

Read thru it a few times before you actually do anything, and you'll be fine.

11. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

@ Mattywii:

Even notice that Flaya:

Update and follow the guide and reread it several times to understand.

12. MattyWii

MattyWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for your reply @Flaya and @jeannotte I have been reading that same guide from past couple of days. the guide clearly says the first step needs to be to set up block the updates. Followed by Step two for Haxchi where it asks to install NNU patcher before buying the GC game form the store to avoid updating while connected to the store

"1. Make sure that you have all the files needed saved to your SD and put the SD card back into the Wii U.

2. For Wii U Firmware 5.5.1 only (5.5.2 and 5.5.3 users skip to step 3): On your Wii U open the browser and visit this page: loadiine.ovh. When the page loads make sure that the dropdown box says "Homebrew Launcher 1.4 (5.5.0 - 5.5.1)" and click "submit"."

Am I missing something ? So based on the guide it better not to update until Haxchi is installed which is easier to install with 5.5.1

On an unrelated note is Haxchi method without CBHC still capable of bricking ?

thanks again for your help.

13. Flaya

Flaya GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2015
    Sweden
    I updated first. Blocked updates after haxchi was installed. Also, I did NOT go for cold boot.

Oh, and check the store first, there might be a compatible games for free. I had, so that saved me a few $.

Unless you mess with system/band, there's really not that big of risk for bricking..

That said, there's always a slim chance a(ny) console bricks when modding.

Last edited by Flaya, Nov 30, 2018
  14. MattyWii

MattyWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    United States
    Any specific use of updating? From everything i have read 5.5.1 is the golden version. This ties back to my second point of is there any chance of a better permanent hack coming out at a later date? like the one that exists for Wii? since being on 5.5.1 may payoff in that case.

15. Flaya

Flaya GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2015
    Sweden
    Well, it is in a way.. it has a better success rate than the others, BUT... If you're on 5.5.3 and the exploit fails, simply try again. It will work, and it will NOT brick your system..

I was successful on my 2 attempt. And since I'm on the latest FW, I'm not concerned about updates..

But either FW version is fine, I simply have my preference and advise. You should really go with whatever fits you. :)

16. MattyWii

MattyWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    United States
    Thankyou for that insight I guess I will give it a try with 5.5.1 and if for some reason it updates then I know its not the end of the world.

Flaya likes this.
  17. MattyWii

MattyWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    United States
    Hey Guys, thanks so much for this awesome guide. I was able to follow every step and get the setup I wanted by making an informed choice instead of following some instructions blindly without knowing the use of each tool/step.

I do have some follow-up questions. Sort of post install things that I am hoping to achieve.

1) Does it make any difference if a game or a channel is installed in the Nand Vs external HD? Am I correct in assuming that if I install a game or a channel to the Nand that means it will be available on the handheld even if I plug it out (sort of like a game on the go?) Not really very sure about the purpose of console if the game can be loaded using the Nand itself which I am assuming is in the handheld?

2) Once I have installed a game or a channel to the HD how do I Uninstall them? (is there an option in the WUP installer to uninstall as well?)

3) Although I think I know this one but still wanted to check. If a game has a Game + Update + DLC folder that gets downloaded using WII USB helper then do they need to be installed in a specific order (obviously Game first followed by Update or DLC or it does not matter? I noticed all three folders had the same name but were saved in different parent folders so I will have to put the folders one at a time on the sd card and then install then next folder then install?)

4) And lastly, as I mentioned before I got lucky with my refurbished unit which was still on 5.5.1 I am pretty content with the setup I have but still wondering If I should update to 5.5.3 now or just keep my setup. Is there anyway to download the update and not install it (as in keep it in case Nintendo decides to come out with a 5.5.X at a later date although the chances of another update seem remote)(or someone here or otherwise comes up with a more stable hack without having to do CBHC.

5) Does 5.5.1 have a slower response time than the later versions? I noticed it took a good 4-5 seconds to just load the settings after running Haxchi CFW is that normal?

I know its a long list but I really appreciate your time and a big thanks to the OP and all the contributors to this thread.

Matt

18. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2009
    Scotland
    Hi fellow tempers! I was wondering if anyone had come accross my little problem as i cannot find anything on the whole of the Internet regarding it!

Been following this great guide and i have manged to use browser exploit to install haxchi and have no problem using loadiine for games so far (when I have the time i will complete the guide). All except Captain Toad that is. I have tried two US versions and a Euro and they all crash the console at the same point... When the book opens after the intro screen. Im able to play the little intro level. I own a UK console on 5.5.3 and loadiine is the latest version. I have also tried booting with default mii maker and smash bros disc mode with exact same result.

I wonder if this problem would continue if i finish the guide to install the game to usb or nand and in the short term, could another save file thats saved beyond the first level say possibly stop the crashing?

Many thanks if anyone has any ideas!

Edit.... Another save file actually allowed me to play the first level for a while then crashed when back at the book/level pages.

Edit 2....nevermind. Wup installed to usb and works great now. Again, thanks for the guide... Very informative!

Last edited by Lostbhoy, Dec 3, 2018
  19. Flaya

Flaya GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2015
    Sweden
    Can't say, to be honest. Don't think it will work as afaik the band is in the console, not the gamepad.

You can go into settings->storage management and delete them.

No! You can install them in any order.

Really can't say. Never had the question myself.

Should be about the same.

The Wii U is a slow console overall.

20. MattyWii

MattyWii Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    United States
    Thanks @Flaya I am good for now really appreciate your guidance. Guess I assumed a separate gamepad meant same games but on the Go. That explains why Switch is so popular.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted