[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

@iBLeeDBaTTLeReD :

What is your USB support (USB key or external hard drive) ??

Do not use USB keys, it works badly.

2. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Yeah, USB flash drives are not fast enough to run full games from, so you will run into problems while playing. Some people use flash drives though, but mainly for smaller games, and Virtual Console games.

3. iBLeeDBaTTLeReD

iBLeeDBaTTLeReD Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2013
    United States
    It is a 1 TB external seagate with it's own power supply.

4. Killem2

Killem2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2018
    United States

I want to say thank you for writing this up. I have been waiting for years to turn my WII U into a similar loading machine like my wii. I have a few question.

1. When you say there are firm ware 5.5.1 games does that mean they only work with that firmware or are you just saying if you need to get the wii U to this state use those games. (I am at 5.52 so it's moot in that case).

2. If I already have 1 external drive that I was using for games downloaded can it be hooked up normally and just recognized?

3. Are there any precautions would must take if I have a lot of eshop games already bought or can those be installed and played as normal

4. Is this similar to the old letterbomb wii setup where I could insert my actual disks, copy them (amazing they are still in good condition lol) and still play them with out getting the disk out anymore?

5. GATWYAY3.2

GATWYAY3.2 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2015
    United States
    i followed this guide a long time ago and now i want to format my WiiU system will the RedNand still work ? just wondering

6. alexj9626

alexj9626 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2016
    Panama
    Can i use Wup Installer without a touchscreen? My gamepad works, but cant use the touch screen. Is it doable? (cant test for now)

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    ATTENTION !!!!

if you installed CBHC, DO NOT FORMAT !

first, you need to uninstall CBHC using the CBHC installer > uninstall option.
    it will uninstall CBHC, but NOT the "do not touch /!\" icon. To be sure it's removed, go to settings and you should see 5.5.2 instead of 99.99.99
    Now, you can format.

Format is never a good solution.
    formatting will only create issues. emuNAND might work, but if you use a USB device, they will not work on both emuNAND and SysNAND. they will be exclusive.
    But you should wait for confirmation that it's safe and it will work.

So, 2 questions:
    First, why do you want to format? if you use emuNAND your sysNAND should be clean and doesn't need to be formatted.
    Secondly, Why use emuNAND? it's bad and not useful, unless you are a developer, but even developers never use emuNAND.

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 9, 2018
    GATWYAY3.2 likes this.
  8. GATWYAY3.2

Apr 28, 2015
    United States
    i never installed CBHC i was too cheap to buy a DS game lol. I use Emunand because Im not the only one that uses my WiiU and to my understanding if emunand gets bricked than the systemnand wont be effected which is perfect and has worked out for many years now.

I'm looking to format because i remembered a long time ago i posted some smash bros.nudes texture hacks on Miiverse and my account was banned, i know miiverse has since shutdown but i dont know if that had any ripple effect on my system/account so i kinda wanna clean and start fresh on the system because i plan on giving it away.

9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    the ban only prevented you to connect (or post something) to miiverse? Are you ban to play online too? if you are ban for online play, it's possible it's the console and not the account. Formatting will not fix it.
    It didn't change or affected your account or system. there's no reason to format the console, it will result in nothing different.

you said you never bought the NDS game, so you are still using browser hax to launch homebrew? I suppose you are on 5.5.1 (though, I've seen a thread about almost 100% stable 5.5.2 version recently)
    if it's good enough for you, then it's fine.

I see why you use emuNAND, but I think formatting will cause more issues. You'll have to reinstall games, because emuNAND on WiiU is not 100% sandboxed, the sysNAND still affect your data, especially games installed to the WiiU HDD.

I'd recommend you to keep your console the way it is. It works, don't try to fix it ;)

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 9, 2018
    GATWYAY3.2 likes this.
  10. GATWYAY3.2

Apr 28, 2015
    United States
    From what i remember it was a connect ban and im not sure if my online is banned, i haven't been on in a long time, which is why i wanted to give it away but I guess ill leave it and Yes i used the 5.1 browser exploit, from what i remember it ran perfectly. one last thing, have the emulators improved for the WiiU, from what i remembered there were controller compatibility issues which kept me from using them.

11. GATWYAY3.2
    This message by GATWYAY3.2 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jul 9, 2018, Reason: double post.
    Jul 9, 2018
  12. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Well, EmuNand is pretty much useless these days, no one uses it, maybe only a very few developers or people that want to mess around with system files.

If you don't have CBHC installed, then the chances of a brick are almost zero.

Hell, Kafluke has CBHC installed, and kids play on his WiiU all the time, and he never had a brick.

CBHC has protections built into it too. It's not brick proof, but as long as you follow simple directions, you wont brick. All of the CBHC bricks that were recorded, are all due to user error.

GATWYAY3.2 likes this.
  13. sumpao

sumpao Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2018
    Thailand
    Hey guy I new here.

I hack wii u by Haxchi and install mocha already.

Now I can install wii u game to my external harddisk with WUP.

But my question is how to install WII or game cube game on my WII U could you explain?

14. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Why are you using Haxchi "and" mocha?

Haxchi is a CFW on it's own, no need to use Mocha.

15. sumpao

sumpao Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2018
    Thailand
    I don't know but I use haxchi to go in to mocha.

I think it from a guide or did I wrong.

I have to boot my wiiu and go into System Nad >Haxchi app > home brew > Load Mocha (Some Kind like backup Nand)

But anyway I now in 5.5.2 and can online.

16. Devilus

Devilus Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2018
    Sweden
    I am at step 6 in the guide, and as it said the wii u can freeze when i click "Exploit"( I have 5.5.2E )... I stopped counting after 30 attempts. The webpage starts to load til about half and then the wiiu freeze. Any ideas? Is there n other way to make this work?

17. Aleksa1992

Aleksa1992 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2018
    Serbia, Republic of
    The guide says
    • The default is set to launch the HBL elf from your SD card. Please make certain you have the files needed before trying to launch HBL.
    Does that mean that even after installing haxchi i always need to have the sd card inside the wii u if i want to launch homebrew?

18. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you have two choices :

you can launch HBL by using haxchi to "forward" to the .elf of HBL on your SD card. in that case, yes you need to keep your SD inside the wiiU.
    or
    you can install HBC as a channel and launch it AFTER you launched haxchi's FW patcher (or CBHC at boot). the HBL channel is not signed, you need to first let haxchi patch the signature check to be able to launch it.

but, what interest would you have into launching HBL if you don't have any homebrew to list?
    homebrew are stored on SD card, if you launch HBL it's usually in order to launch another homebrew. Launching HBL without SD or without any homebrew located on SD, what the point?

your question is about "launch homebrew" or "launch homebrew launcher" ?
    I replied to whether you need the SD and the HBL elf on SD to "run homebrew launcher".

If you talk about any other homebrew, the principle is the same :
    either it's a elf, you need an SD card to put that elf on it and launch it from HBL.
    either it's a channel, you need haxchi to remove signature checking from the firmware before being able to launch it (without SD card).

A lot of homebrew keep settings stored in a config file, and loads other files (pictures, game data, etc.). so, again, where do you plan to keep the files needed by the homebrew you want to launch if you don't have an SD card?

no, it's not using USB FAT32 to do it.
    You'll need an dedicated SD card if you plan to hack your wiiu. SD are cheap, by as much as you need, every new console its own SD card is the simplest.

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 13, 2018
  19. treeman

treeman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2016
    United States
  20. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you can use all the other programs which existed before WiiU USB helper was developed.

not necessarily everyone. there are different program, use the one you prefer.
    some are using java, other python, other windows.

I think JNUSTool (java, multiplateform) is a good tool, it even has a GUI, but you'll have to learn how to use it for what you expect it to do.

all existing tools to manage files are posted in a stickied thread.

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 23, 2018
  21. CloudvsRoy

CloudvsRoy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2016
    United States
    Got my question answered.

Last edited by CloudvsRoy, Jul 24, 2018
  22. Blasingame

Blasingame Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2009
    United States
    Hi,

I just got a Wii u off a Craigslist deal (really good condition and came with the original box). I'm newbie to the Wii U hacking scene and reading up what I can do with software that can be installed. I have a hacked 3DS XL and it looks like you can use it for Smash Bros. I'm still reading up on Loadline and vWii hacking.

What is a good setup that people recommend with Haxchi?

Also when Nintendo drop support for the Wii U, do you think more hacks will be coming out?

Thanks!