[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. sevo

sevo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for this awesome guide!
    I just got Haxchi and HBL successfully installed on my 5.5.2U. I used Brain Age and despite all the warnings about unstable 5.5.2 exploit, it worked on the first try for me.

Some noob questions before installing CBHC or any games:
    - Is it safe to connect to internet, play online, and update games on CFW? Any reports of NNID bans like on 3DS?
    - If I'm planning to use USB Helper and WUP Installer to download/install games and updates on a USB HDD, do I still need to load CFW to play them if I'm not installing any DLC for that game? Do all the games still show up on both original sysNAND and sigpatched sysNAND (Haxchi CFW)?
    - If I later do install DLC for a game, does the whole game then become unplayable on original sysNAND?

2. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Yes, it's safe, insofar as there haven't been any bans for doing it. Nintendo would have to do some analysis to determine if a specific console should be running a title, and they haven't bothered to do so. That doesn't mean that there's no way to detect it.
    USB Helper tells you which titles need CFW. It knows for which titles it's giving you legit tickets vs. fake tickets. If you try to run a fake-ticketed title without CFW, you'll get an error about the NNID being deleted. No harm done. Just run Haxchi and then rerun the game.
    Signature patching does not affect sysNAND. (Mocha has a redirected NAND option. That's where you see different things.)
    Understanding your question as: ...does the whole game then become unplayable if I haven't yet run Haxchi since last boot?, Then (for fake-ticketed DLC) the answer is yes. You'll get an error message telling you that there's a problem with the DLC. Like with other fake-ticketed titles, there's no harm done. Just run Haxchi and then rerun the game.

sevo likes this.
  3. sevo

sevo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2016
    United States
    Thanks!

So basically, once I get everything installed, I can just run and update legit retail games (which looking at USB Helper is 99%, if not all, titles I'm interested in) off the USB HDD without needing to run Haxchi or install CBHC. Then just run Haxchi for VC/eShop/DLC/etc. CFW-only games.

Is that right?

4. acurarsx

acurarsx Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2018
    Canada
    So I decided to go with the WUP installer method and Haxchi by itself for CFW. I'm running games and updates just fine but having trouble with DLC. I'm getting this error "0xFFFBF440 verify wup files are correct & complete. DLC/E-Shop require sig patch" when I try to install the DLC so I'm guessing that I messed up somewhere in step 5 when I did the Haxchi by itself method since its a sig patch issue. The Haxchi method seemed so simple, I don't see where I could possibly have gone wrong.

I'd prefer the Haxchi by itself method to avoid brick risks from CBHC but if I can't go online or use DLCs, I'd risk trying CBHC. Do I need to go back and undo what I did in my first attempt at the Haxchi by itself method? or can I just go ahead and do the CBHC method on top of what I've already done.

Also, from step 7, are installing HBL and WUP channels necessary? or is it just for convenience so that I'd have the icons on my home screen instead of having to launch from inside Haxchi? I've tried installing the homebrew launcher channel v2.1 but it won't show up in wup installer even though I placed it in my "install" folder on my sd card root for some reason.

5. testing123

testing123 GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2009
    United States
    I've gotten the homebrew launcher page to load via browserhax.

WUP asks for a directory to load games from. It says "install" as the default but there is no such folder on the sd card.

When I put a folder called "install" on the SD card, the HBL doesn't load and gives an error.

I've been following the guide step by step but can't see where I've gone wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by testing123, Mar 9, 2018
  6. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Use the "transfer to sd" option in Wii u USB Helper and it will set up your SD card correctly for you

testing123 likes this.
  7. testing123

May 7, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the reply, but now I keep getting the error "fsgetmountsource failed"

I assume I'll have to format everything and start again.

You recommended WII u USB helper; I am trying to use it but how does it transfer all the unpacked files (tik, app, h3, cert, and tmd) to the sd card?

When I created a rar with the ticket in it with the file structure it recommends, it loads the ticket right, but it doesn't seem to read the existing app/h3 files that are just sitting there.

Do I have to stick ALL the Zelda game files into the same rar for USB helper to read them?

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I've never personally used this option. I prefer manually doing it. anyway, it's probably listed the same way as it would manually (i.e. title id followed by game, update, dlc name). the files should be in the install folder with a folder named that. that's what I'd assume anyway. ;) the folder should appear in wup installer.

testing123 likes this.
  9. testing123

May 7, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for your reply.

I've tried to do manual a few times, but still haven't had any luck. Whenever I add folders to the SD card, I keep getting the error fsgetmountsource failed"

How did you get around that?

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    wup does have some bugs such as it sometimes sending a usb error if you go into system settings first. it's the sd card or the port, most likely. I've never personally experienced that error, so I really don't know if that will work for you. you might try a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on the sd card slot or some compressed air (that's liable to blow dust into the system though) if it's not the sd card itself.

11. testing123

May 7, 2009
    United States
    Actually the SD card worked fine once I removed the extra files. So now I'm at the browser-loaded HBL, and I see:

nanddumper.elf
    WUP installer GX2
    WUP Installer Mod Y

But since I removed the extra install folder, there's no game to load.

So what I need do now is successfully put the Zelda files ON the SD card.

12. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    That's correct.

13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    content needs to go in its own folder in the install folder. the install folder goes on the root of the sd card. I think you can just stick content (the files) in the install folder by themselves if it's just one piece of content.

testing123 likes this.
  14. testing123

May 7, 2009
    United States
    Right, so here's the part where I need to be 100% sure step by step, because last time I manually created an INSTALL folder, it doesn't load HBL and gives the error fsgetmountsource failed

So is this what you recommend?

1. Create INSTALL folder in SD root.
    2. Put 2 GB of Zelda files in root. This includes tik, m3, app, cert, and tmd
    3. Which loader do I use here? WUP installer GX2 or MOD Y?

There's no CFW on this wii u, as an aside. Just using the browser.

15. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Getting an external HDD for use on my upcoming Wii U adventure.

Has anyone had success with the newer style Western Digital My Passport 3.0? I see it doesn't have an external power adapter option so I'd assume I'll have to use a USB 3.0 Y Cable to make sure it's getting enough power. Anyone having success with these in any of it's 1, 2, 3 or 4TB versions?

Link to the one I want to get (well maybe in Black to match the Wii U, haven't decided yet on Red or Black): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQQHEWS/ref=twister_B077GCF6VL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Picture of it: 2018-03-09 (3).

Last edited by ca032769, Mar 9, 2018
  16. testing123

May 7, 2009
    United States
    How do you plan to use the hard drive, exactly? As in what method are you going to put games on it?

17. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    I'll be using the Wii U USB Helper to put the games on SD then WUP to install it onto the new external HDD.

18. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    you may need sig patches to work wup installer correctly. there's a sig patcher app if you don't want to use mocha or haxchi.

19. Jumping33

Jumping33 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2017
    Canada
    Hi I updated my Wii u to 5.5.2, i all ready had haxchi installed a while back, I tried Splatoon and it updated but I get error 250-1031 after it makes a saved file, i all so tried deleting the update and reinstalling it but to no avail, i tried Maro maker and I could get online no problem, I have no idea what the issue is, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

20. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    no, it's not like that. do not place zelda files in root !
    this is the layout you need to use :

SD:/install/<folder name you want>/ your files here !!

example :
    sd:/install/zelda breath of the wild/file.app, file.h3, ticket and tmd files here

this is also working :
    sd:/install/ file.app, h3, tick, tmd, cert here
    but you will need to delete everything to install another title, as you can only have one at a time. It's easier to use subfolders because :
    1. you know what you install, what you have on your SD
    2. you can install multiple titles at the same time

I think most users are using WUP Installer GX2 (because it's graphically easy to use), but some users prefer the simple text on screen "mod y" version.
    use the one you like, they are doing the same thing.

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 10, 2018
    testing123 and godreborn like this.