[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Nintynuts

Nintynuts Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    England
    Do you know how long a NAND dump should take? I'm now at 33 hours.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Everything is done from the Homebrew launcher, so if you still use the browser hack to launch it, here what you can do :
    install game on a HDD : it's done from a homebrew that you launch from the Homebrew Launcher.
    so, just run WUP installer GX2 to install a game from SD to WiiU memory, or SD to WiiU HDD.

Use a CFW : again, it's done from the homebrew launcher. But you have 2 options here :
    - temporary : you need to launch the CFW every time you need it (sigpatcher 2 sysmenu), from the homebrew launcher. if you are on 5.5.2, the browser hax is not very reliable, and you probably will want the other method.
    - installed / temporary : For this, you need to first buy a legal NDS game. Then, from the homebrew launcher you can launch "haxchi installer" to replace the NDS with the exploit. to launch HBL you click on haxchi instead of messing with the browser hax. it's still temporary, the CFW is not in memory anymore if you shutdown the console.
    - installed / persistent : do the same than haxchi, except you install Coldboot version (CBHC) to let the console run haxchi automatically at console boot. it's now always in CFW enabled when you power ON.

if you want to know where you should start in the guide, I'd say : step 1! follow everything up to step 7.

As long as it needs.
    it depends your SD card write speed. at this point, I recommend you still wait until it completes, or you'd have wasted 33H
    but I can't tell you how much more you'll have to wait.

3. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    No that's too long. Start over and just get seeprom and otp.bin. there's no advantage to having mlc.bin at this point

4. Nintynuts

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    England
    I have a UHS-1 SDXH, so I'm not sure why it would be slow. My calculations say it should take no longer than 10 hours at UHS-1 Speed (10MBps). Presumably you'd need a UHS-3 to get the 3.5 hours advertised in this guide?

Last edited by Nintynuts, Mar 4, 2018
  5. testing123

testing123 GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2009
    United States
    Took about 8 tries, but I got into HBL 1.4 by Dimok. Blue bubble background.

Same problem as before--only the nanddumper box appears. Also, it's not the "full" box, it's just an empty blue box 1 inch by 4 inches, and it's just small white text repeating : "nanddumper/nanddumper.elf" scrolling over and over. No icon or buttons visible.

Edit - Nanddumper still doesn't load and stops at the start, saying "first partition is not configured for fat32".

I've also been told that the reason I see nothing else is because I only have the one nanddumper app.

Last edited by testing123, Mar 6, 2018
  6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I don't know what really affect the dump speed (only the SD, or the NAND used size/content).
    the dump has a progress percentage ?

Like Kafluke said, you should at least do the otp and keys dump, that's the most important. it will allows you to use some apps, fix any problems, or edit your devices on computer, etc.

7. Nintynuts

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    England
    It's STILL going... there is a progress indicator, but it has slightly confused me. It currently displays:
    mlc = 02A5F800 / 03B70000
    that would mean
    44431360 / 62324736
    which if it's bytes means:
    42.4 / 59.4 MiB
    but I'm supposed to have a 32GiB console...

8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I suppose it's the block (sector/cluster/whatever the name for emmc) number.

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 5, 2018
  9. Nintynuts

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    England
    Yeah. 512B block size would fit with that, meaning the NAND is actually 29.7 GiB, or 31.9GB. Still don't get how it's so slow though.
    That would mean it's been transferring at about 100 KBps or 850 Kbps. That's half basic USB 1.0 speed. It will likely take another 24 hours to complete.
    I had almost nothing installed too, it had all been moved to a USB HDD.

Last edited by Nintynuts, Mar 5, 2018
  10. steelgtr

steelgtr Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2017
    United States
    My HBL (loadiine) stopped working and all browsing (error code 112-1006). I haven't used the wii u for a while and wanted to load a game onto the USB drive. Any ideas?

thx

bob

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    what did stop working, HBL or Loadiine?
    How do you launch HBL ? browser exploit or installed persistent exploit? (like haxchi or cbhc)
    which version is your firmware ?

to load a game into USB, you'll have to follow the first post's guide, you have two choices : temporary CFW (browser exploit, not recommended) or persistent CFW (haxchi or cbhc, recommended).

12. steelgtr

steelgtr Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2017
    United States
    Hi

I couldn't access any internet including loadiine but today it's working :)

13. Goldug

Goldug Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2016
    I have gotten Mocha CFW to work and nnu-patcher so I can play my original games (SMM) now, but I still can't get into the eShop to buy a NDS game for Haxchi (I'm on 5.5.1). Do I really need to upgrade to 5.5.2? Or is there some app that I missed to temporarily spoof the WiiU so that it thinks it is 5.5.2?

Skickat från min FRD-L19 via Tapatalk

14. acurarsx

acurarsx Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2018
    Canada
    Sounds like the WUP installer method is best but I really want to keep and run my games from my SD card instead of internal or USB HD. Is that possible? Or is my only option Loadiine to run games of SD card.

15. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Only loadiine

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

NNU Patcher still works for 5.5.1. You must be missing a step somewhere.

1. Boot Wii u.
    2. Launch NNU Patcher through HBL
    3. Visit the eshop.

16. Goldug

Goldug Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2016
    So no Mocha CFW before nnu-patcher?

Skickat från min FRD-L19 via Tapatalk

17. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You don't need CFW to run NNU Patcher so no Mocha before

18. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Hi All, I've used Wii's via the ModMii Soft Mod for quite a while & have probably modded close to 20 of them with ModMii, but I'm new to the Wii U I'd gotten around Christmas and am now starting to play around with it. It was mentioned to me in another thread that there might be an external hard drive limit of 2TB. Is this true? Or is anyone using 4TB or 8TB HDD's?

I ask because I use an external WD My Book 8TB HDD as one partition for my Wii and don't have any issues. For the Wii I did have to break it from GPT to a MBR partition table and then format it to FAT32 64k Clusters to see the entire drive and use it, but haven't had any issues playing any Wii or GC games off it.

So can I do the same thing for the Wii U??? Or better yet, is anyone else doing anything like this with a 4TB or 8TB HDD?

19. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Seems I misunderstood how the Wii U handles external HDD's. I've recently been told that the Wii U will format and encrypt the files on the external HDD.

So I want to rephrase my earlier question: Will the Wii U support a 4TB or 8TB external HDD? Otherwise, what is the largest size external HDD it will support and see the entire drive?

20. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Another question - If I have two Wii U's would I be able to move my external HDD back and forth between them?

Or does the Wii U only recognize the titles that were loaded through it to the external HDD and thus the 2nd Wii U would not recognize the HDD titles installed through the first 1st Wii U?

Last edited by ca032769, Mar 8, 2018