[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Bowl0l

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    Thanks for the reply. Are there options if i use the internal storage?
    My WiiU is the 32GB version.

2. Stoker

Stoker Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2018
    Canada
    noob here but i've done this kind of stuff many times, just wondering how easy this is to use by laymans? like once i install everything does it work nice and smoothly for my wife or kids to use or are there random problems with some games so they crash a lot or it's going to be tricky for non tech people to do? thanks guys, we just have wii u usb helper/cemu running on my computer and some games have some crash problems

3. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    After following this guide will out of region disks automatically start working? Or are there more steps to make the console region free?

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I would give this guide scale for a total newbie (expecting you follow every steps to the letter)

1. hacking difficulty : ••...
    2. Management difficulty : ••...
    3. Ease of use : •••••
    4. Safe to use : ••••.
    5. additional steps difficulty : ••••.

sorry, I mixed difficulty and easiness, it's not the best scale.

1. hacking is easy if you know how to use a computer (copy files to SD, extract zip, how to format SD card, etc.). If you don't know how to download/extract a zip, or how to copy folders from one device to another, it will be harder. count difficulty 4/5 (••••.)
    the only part which can be harder, or more stressfull is the part to prevent the console from updating by editing the internal console's memory. it's an optional step, so don't worry too much.

2. management is the same :
    installing a new game is easy if you are using windows, and using EShop tool (it get the files to SD for you, you just need to run the installer on the console). you just need to find the keys somewhere on the net by yourself.
    if you are not on Windows, there are tools on other OS (even Android), but the tools could be harder to use. (java and command line tools)

3. once installed everything works as if it was a full legally bought game, nothing to worry. The only issue would be if you install game from another region, kids will need to launch a homebrew patcher before launching the game. But why would kids play a game in another language?
    so, for kids it's just : power ON the console, click on a game to play. that's all. Of course, that's not the kids who will install new games, right?

4. safety is important. It determines if you can let the kids without watch, and leave them do whatever they want on the console.
    they can use the console and do almost what they want. There are 2 BIG rules you need to teach them :
    - never format the console's memory !
    - never delete the mii/account used to hack.
    not following these recommendation will result in a dead console. (not booting anymore).
    another rule, but less dangerous : never touch the game named "do not touch". but there are protection which should prevent itself from being deleted, moved, etc

5. additional steps cover the Wii part. WiiU mode is easy, but if you want to hack the Wii mode too, you'll have to spend a lot of more reading and preparing, buying specific devices (for example, WiiU mode and Wii mode can't use the same HDD)
    There are also tools to generate Wii games and gamecube games to be used directly from WiiU mode, it will need another guide.
    All additional element will require its own guide and understanding of the situation.

not all games.
    some games require you to launch a homebrew language patcher first.

the console is region free, but some game hardcode the path to specific language.
    for example, USA games might not have Italian or Dutch language files on them, only English. But European console force the game to use the language from your country. You need to launch the patcher first to force the game to use US/En instead of "EU/IT" if you live in italy.

program name is "Spiik"

Last edited by Cyan, Feb 26, 2018
  5. mescjq

mescjq Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2017
    United States
    Hi guys,

Great tutorial. Thanks for compiling it OP.

I have a few quick question regarding storage if anyone can help. Setup is CBHC installed and I'm mainly interested in running N64 and Gamecube games on the gamepad (for context)
    1. Can I swap the SD card I've been using for a different one by simply copying the contents?
    2. Is there any reason I need to keep my NAND backup on the SD Card or can I move it to my PC?
    3. Any reason I can't just use an SD card for the games and homebrew? Is there anything that needs a USB drive?
    4. Any recommendations on the minimum read speed I'd want on an SD card?

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    1. yes, SD card doesn't need anything special. as long as it's FAT32 MBR you can use any card without even deleting the files you have on it. most wiiu homebrew uses sd:/wiiu/ folder
    2. who told you to keep it on SD? there's no reason to keep it on SD at all. on the contrary, do as much backup as you can on different support (sd, PC, usb, etc.), if you have it only on SD and your SD is corrupted you lose your backup.
    3. your question looks awkward. two reversed questions in the same line? there's no "reason", there are things which work only on SD, and things which work only on console, and things which work only on USB. Without telling us something specific, we can't tell you what should go where.
    4. class 10 U1 is fine ?

mescjq likes this.
  7. mescjq

mescjq Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2017
    United States
    Perfect. Thanks for clarifying
    Nobody told me to. I didn't say they did. If the SD card mattered (see Q1), then this might have been an issue.

([edit] It's already backed up multiple places)

:huh: The question structure is fine if somewhat conversational in tone. I shall endeavor to improve me grammaticalls for you good sir/madame. I hope I have not offended thine eyes.

So there are some things that only run from a USB drive? I'll keep that in mind but it sounds like I'm okay to stick with the SD card alone for now.

Cheers

8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    let me reread and rephrase, maybe I didn't understand your question.

I think it's the "just" with negative form which is bothering me. and the "any reason" which seems like someone told that you couldn't do it differently.
    You want to use "only" the SD card? is your question "can I use only the SD and NO usb at all?"

if you don't want to use USB, then don't. there's nothing which works only from USB (even if I said so in my previous message, sorry. USB is needed only for Wii games on Wii mode). everything works from SD or internal. USB is not needed, but it's recommended if you want a lot of wiiu games due to limited wiiu data size.

homebrew need to be on SD (or installed to the console).

about games:
    if you speak about the use of SD as temporary device to install the WiiU game, then it's not mandatory, you can use the USB but it's rarely recommended to users because it's using a bug, instead of a feature.
    if you speak about the game themselves as the location when playing it, then there are two type of playing methods:
    1) installed to internal memory or wiiu USB hdd and playing them from the system menu, or
    2) extracted and playable from SD using a loader. So you could use "just" the SD (no internal or usb at all to play games), but you'll have some restriction, like no online and slow loading. This method is deprecated and not actively worked on anymore due to 100% compatibility with the other method.

if you speak about something else (homebrew, emulators, wii games, etc.), please specify.

sorry, I edited my message a lot of time. I think I wrote what I wanted now. I hope it's easier to understand.

mescjq likes this.
  9. mescjq

mescjq Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2017
    United States
    Thanks @Cyan! I think I realised my mistake that caused the confusion yesterday. In my head I was equating the SD Card and NAND. I forgot that there was an installation step after I copied the files to the SD card.

I think I'm more clear on things now. I'll keep going as I am until I hit a dead end :D

Cyan likes this.
  10. testing123

testing123 GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2009
    United States
    May I please get some advice?

I'm hacking my Wii U for the first time. Firmware 5.5.2.

I've followed the OP guide carefully, but have gotten stuck very early on.

I formatted a 64 gb micro sd card (using a reader to make it fit the SD card slot on the wii u) to fat32 using the gui format tool suggested.

Currently it has two folders, homebrew_launcher and nanddumper. As per instructions, I used "homebrew_launcher.v1.4.zip" (The latest online version right now).

My wii u is able to load up one of the homebrew sites successfully.

However, the problem is that the homebrew page ONLY lists the nanddumper. It gives no options for the homebrew launcher. There's nothing there but the nanddumper.

I also cannot backup the nand, as soon as I try in the homebrew page it says the "first partition is not formatted to fat32" even though I just did that.

I'll have to get through those two problems first before I can move any further, so any advice is appreciated!

11. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Start over and reformat your SD card. Then put your files on the SD and share with us the file structure. Example: sd:\wiiu\homebrew_launcher\...

testing123 likes this.
  12. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    Is there any reason to stay on 5.5.1 if I already have haxchi installed? both wonderful 101(physical) and minecraft(usb injection) have errors when trying to update even after I activate nnu patcher so I kind of just want to disable the dns blocker and update already so I can successfully download the game updates

Last edited by Eddypikachu, Mar 1, 2018
  13. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    no, there's no reason to stay on 5.5.1, it only creates issues with game auto updates.
    5.5.1 is just used as preferred entry point over 5.5.2, but if you already have haxchi or CBHC I don't see any reason to not update.

Maybe we could add a step in the guide to let the user update if they are on 5.5.1 after haxchi/cbhc step?
    it will prevent users having errors when games try to update with the dns filters.
    well, the game will still have issue checking eShop if the url are blocked, but at least it won't need nnu to access it.

the best error free method is still to remove the update folder and don't block any urls.

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 1, 2018
    Eddypikachu likes this.
  14. james3789
    This message by james3789 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Mar 2, 2018, Reason: requested.
    Mar 2, 2018
  15. Nintynuts

Nintynuts Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    England
    I'm backing up my 32GB NAND, and it's been going for over 12 hours now. It says in the guide 3.5 hours. My memory card is a SanDisk 64GB Ultra UHS-I microSDXC, so I don't think it should be slow write speeds.
    Based on the Hex numbers showing how much is done it seems to be only 1/3 of the way. Any Ideas why it's so slow? Thanks

Last edited by Nintynuts, Mar 4, 2018
  16. testing123

testing123 GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2009
    United States
    Ok.

Formatted a 62gb micro sd card with guiformat.exe
    Placed the two folders as instructed by the OP.

d:\wiiu\apps\homebrew_launcher\
    homebrew_launcher.elf
    icon.png
    meta.xml

d:\wiiu\apps\nanddumper\
    nanddumper.elf

Last edited by testing123, Mar 4, 2018
  17. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Perfect. Now try some of the sites listed in the OP to see if you can get into HBL

18. Goldug

Goldug Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2016
    Hey!
    I'm probably stupid, but where in the guide should I be if I'm already on browser hack with loadiine, but want to install games on hdd and run a cfw?

Skickat från min FRD-L19 via Tapatalk

19. flingrocks

flingrocks Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2017
    United States
    I usually make a copy of guides and project info for my own records. Just recently, I made an html document of this one, using the logic chart to navigate. It was just for myself, but I thought it might help @Kafluke or someone spot any typo issues.

A quick comparison of most textual differences (not including styling, ...) between that and the official is in an included html file. (note: the capitalized word Step references a main step).

Attached Files:

Last edited by flingrocks, Mar 4, 2018
    Bowl0l likes this.
  20. Nintynuts

Nintynuts Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    England
    Have you followed this process yourself? How long did the NAND backup step take you?
    Also, you've used a white Wii U image to illustrate a 32GB console, unless modded, all 32GB models are black.

21. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I made the images. I didn't think to change the white Wii u to black. It's just concept it doesn't have to be exact