[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    yes

2. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Seems like my problem was actually related to a usb game pad charging cable I was using. It was connected to a charging cradle. I think it got wet or something but even now it seems to be the cause of my vWii shutting down. Weird it only affects vWii.

Just wanted to update in case my posts scared anyone off from soft mod.

3. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yes. If you followed this guide and set up HaxChi to boot CFW it mentions several times that your system firmware will show 99.99.99

4. Jay L

Jay L Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2013
    United States
    Are the dns settings suggested in the 'setup your blocking' section still valid?
    When clicking the links for more info on each, the first one is dead and the 2nd one says the address changed and lists a different dns address than either of the ones suggested here the guide.
    Should I be using the two dns addresses as listed or should I be using the updated address in the link as my secondary?

5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    as we can't control if a DNS is still good (without checking each blocked URL one by one) and relying on someone else work is not the best way to protect yourself, I suggest you follow the guide to delete your update folder and prevent the console to update itself without blocking any URLs.

6. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I blocked updates by deleting the update folder. This seems to be the full proof way to block updates to me. I was wondering though, since I have Haxchi and it works on 5.5.2 should I update from 5.5.1? Any reason not to?

I just figure that if I was on 5.5.2 and an update for a game I didn't need CFW for came out that this would save me the trouble of having in to launch haxchi, launch HBC, launch NNU pathcher (which requires the gamepad since Wii U HBC is touchsreen only), and then update the game. Seems like a lot of trouble I could save if I updated and then reblocked updates.

7. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    there's actually a homebrew launcher version that works without the gamepad. I think the only drawback is that you don't know what you're selecting (no indicator).

8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    games seems to not care whether you have 5.5.1 or 5.5.2, and don't ask to update the firmware to launch a game.
    Though, you can't access eShop (and update games) you need to launch NNU patcher first, which is easier to just update to 5.5.2 as you already have haxchi installed.
    so, recreate the folder (with write permission), update, delete the folder again.

9. pivix

pivix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Poland
    Even update/DLC pack for Zelda BOTW don't ask about update ?

10. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you get an update message, it's talking about the game update itself, not the console's firmware update.

11. Jay L

Jay L Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2013
    United States
    At this point I'd be really surprised to see another Wii U firmware update, the last update came out in July and the only software being released is shovelware, and even those releases are sporadic.
    Edit: There really isn't even much of a reason to keep the Wii u connected to the internet; besides Splatoon & mario kart are there even any more titles that have a significant online component?
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I didn't even know deleting the update folder was possible. At first I assumed I somehow glossed over that section but now see that you meant the steps are in a seperate thread.
    Considering it's labeled as a noob guide it would be helpful if a brief mention was made concerning why dns blocking alone isn't enough; what would be even more heloful is if a link to the instructions you mentioned was provided in the blocking section of the guide so users are at least aware of the option.
    Thanks.

Last edited by Jay L, Feb 15, 2018
  12. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you are right, I think it would be useful to have that information in the guide.
    even more with time, and the wiiu being abandoned, nobody knows when the DNS owner will close its service, stop renewing it, use different filters, etc.

13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    another option is to use a proxy with an app such as ccproxy to link your wii u to your pc. the only downside is that online won't work if the computer is off.

14. Centimetro

Centimetro GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2008
    United States
    Quick Question Re:the DS shop game I used to mod the wii u (i have chbc)

I used Mario Kart DS (legit). I understand this is now not to be touched. My question is, can I now install the backup of Mario Kart DS safely and play that separately, or will that cause issues? Don't even want to touch it until I make sure.

15. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    No don't do that. You can't have two copies of the same game. If you Bork your HaxChi DS then it will Bork CBHC and then you're hosed

Centimetro likes this.
  16. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    games on your console are catalogued using their TitleID.

haxchi installer uses your NDS game has host to replace its ROM with a program (haxchi's CFW), but doesn't change the titleID.
    the haxchi channel's TitleID is still the NDS game's titleID.

if you reinstall the same game, it will replace the existing one, and you'll lose haxchi's code (overwriting haxchi with the original game's ROM).

If you want to play that game, there are different methods, more or less dangerous.
    I wouldn't recommend it if you have CBHC ! (only if you have haxchi, and you are willing to lose your hack by mistake)

in order of safety:
    - use loadiine (the safest method)
    - Get another legit game and install haxchi/CBHC over that one, you can then reinstall the other game. to be safe, you can uninstall CBHC first. (second safest method)
    - find the game from another region, it will have another titleID and will not replace your (haxchi/cbhc) patched game
    - get the same official game and edit the game's titleID before installing it (attention to titleID conflict with other titles)
    - install the game to USB (usb has priority over internal memory, when you plug USB it will launch the game, when you unplug it will launch haxchi) <---- DO NOT DO THIS WITH CBHC, only haxchi can do that.

that's only idea, but like I said, you'd better play Mario Kart DS on an emulator instead of trying to install it on WiiU.
    the other region game install is also a good alternative, but be sure it's using a different TitleID before doing a mistake.

Last edited by Cyan, Feb 18, 2018
    Centimetro likes this.
  17. Centimetro

Centimetro GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2008
    United States
    Cool, thanks for the responses, both of you.

I'll just leave it alone, that particular game is not a big enough deal to me. But guess I should have used a legit game I would never want to play!

18. redw4rrior

redw4rrior Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2016
    Malaysia
    hey fellas... i just wanted to thanks against for this amazing work that u put into.. including everyone who codes every single on GitHub or where ever it was originally .

19. Bowl0l

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    What is the best option to play Wii backups if i only have one HDD? Currently using that HDD for the WUP installer method.
    WiiU is running Haxchi.
    Only noticed vWii and Ultimate WiiU VC injector.

20. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you already use that HDD for wiiU game, you can't use it for anything else.
    you'll need another HDD for vWii homebrew, OR use SD card with wiiflow loader (not all games are working on SD).

Bowl0l likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice