• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Guccifer 2.0, the DNC hacker, forgot to turn on his VPN, revealing himself as a Russian gov hacker

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not defending guccifer whoever and wherever he may be, but using the daily beast as a source is just poor reporting, I wouldn't believe anything they post

Reactions: I pwned U!

ThisIsDaAccount

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not defending guccifer whoever and wherever he may be, but using the daily beast as a source is just poor reporting, I wouldn't believe anything they post
That's kinda fair, but I doubt anyone would completely make something up when special counsel Mueller will (probsbly) release his findings later in the year and possibly end up contradicting them. Plus, there's not really a motive to lie, there's already enough true stories to report.

What I personally fear most in general is thst the story is embellished or biased, but even if it was it's still significant in this case, since it doesn't change the fact that Guccifer 2.0 is a Russian operative.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
At least 2-3 other outlets picking up the same story, including the (apparently edited) OP.

more fire for trump i guess?
More fire for the fire Trump movement you mean? :lol:

Srsly though this shit is getting ridiculous. I'm sure most of you have heard about Trump's campaign in connection Cambridge Analytica in connection to Facebook selling user data et cetera. I remember a certain someone declaring we shouldn't have a president who is under constant investigation.

Last edited by Xzi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I haven't edited the OP, Joe88 was just referring the part in my link where they cite the original story
I suppose then it's worth noting this in itself is only additional confirmation of what had been in earlier intelligence reports (IP traced back to the GRU).

Reactions: ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose then it's worth noting this in itself is only additional confirmation of what had been in earlier intelligence reports (IP traced back to the GRU).
Exactly, it's been the national security branch's consensus for months. The only addition to the story is that he proved it by forgetting his VPN

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, it's been the national security branch's consensus for months. The only addition to the story is that he proved it by forgetting his VPN
Sadly, facts simply don't matter to some people any more. Or, they'll acknowledge this and then say it has nothing to do with Trump or it's a deep state conspiracy because the intelligence agencies are "out to get" Trump.

ThisIsDaAccount

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, facts simply don't matter to some people any more. Or, they'll acknowledge this and then say it has nothing to do with Trump or it's a deep state conspiracy because the intelligence agencies are "out to get" Trump.
It isn't really a problem (yet) if people don't think it has nothing to do with Trump yet, it's Mueller's job to connect the dots on that one and it seems he's on to something. It seems likely he'll find something, but no one knows for sure what it is. Right now it's about establishing that the Russians are, despite Trump's indications otherwise, not friends in any sense of the word. They almost certainly tried to meddle in some way

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AAAAAHAHAHAHA woooooow, the thing all three major government investigative bodies said was the case and no one on the Right believed, come to light because a hacker forgot to flip a virtual switch

Honest talk, though? Nothing's gonna change, another scandal will cover this up tomorrow and we'll forget about this until Mueller uses it as Exhibit Z in Trump's impeachment case

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
AAAAAHAHAHAHA woooooow, the thing all three major government investigative bodies said was the case and no one on the Right believed, come to light because a hacker forgot to flip a virtual switch

Honest talk, though? Nothing's gonna change, another scandal will cover this up tomorrow and we'll forget about this until Mueller uses it as Exhibit Z in Trump's impeachment case
Assuming Trump doesn't try to fire Mueller (relatively soon), he's gonna have to start going through foreign alphabets in that court case. :gun:

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What likely happened is that he was discovered through traditional spying methods, and we're being fed the "forgot to turn on his VPN" story as a cover story so that the NSA doesn't have to explain how its spying works.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What likely happened is that he was discovered through traditional spying methods, and we're being fed the "forgot to turn on his VPN" story as a cover story so that the NSA doesn't have to explain how its spying works.
Yeah, that's most likely the case as well

Still helluva lot funnier to think of it the other way though

Reactions: CallmeBerto

ThisIsDaAccount

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohhhh now this is starting to get good. I wonder how this will play out?
The Russians won't see any consequences, since they're in Russia. Nevertheless, some people who helped them stateside might see jailside. Roger Stone has said he communicated with Guccifer 2.0, the conversation was supposedly short but there could be more he hasn't disclosed.

Reactions: Xzi and CallmeBerto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)