Hardware GTX965M PC Equivalent?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's difficult to compare laptop graphics to desktop graphics due to the difference in form factor, cooling, power and heat requirements. That said, the 965M is a bit stronger than the 750 Ti. The two main factors is that 750 Ti is budget range where as 965M is upper mid-range, and GTX 9 series is a generation newer than GTX 7 series.

As for if it's worth it... That depends on your needs.

Reactions: migles and tivu100

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's difficult to compare laptop graphics to desktop graphics due to the difference in form factor, cooling, power and heat requirements. That said, the 965M is a bit stronger than the 750 Ti. The two main factors is that 750 Ti is budget range where as 965M is upper mid-range, and GTX 9 series is a generation newer than GTX 7 series.

As for if it's worth it... That depends on your needs.
I am looking to buy a replacement for my old laptop. I plan to start learning to program & networking, so will need a powerful enough system to run at least 2 virtual machine at the same time on top of the OS. It also acts as my multimedia entertaining system: medium gaming, emulators of older consoles, video converter, smart box for big screen TV though HDMI cable, documenting processor... And it would last me around 5 year with Windows and its components updates, which I believe will slow the system down.

Budget is under $900 but can burst up to $1200 (then stay hungry for 3 or more months:P with that burst). Would prefer Asus with 2 fan cooling system.

I need to get used to Linux- based OS first on vitual machine before install it directly as OS. Last time I tried with my current laptop, many hardwares (wireless card, sound, screen postion, HDMI out,...) wasn't not supported, and as a newbie, I couldn't fix it myself. Only know of virtual machine recently. But my old laptop can't run it well. Used up all the RAM & CPU, and it freezes up.

Last edited by tivu100,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Everything mentioned can be handled by a good Intel CPU (and its integrated graphics). Any discreet graphics would just be a bonus. That said, I have no idea how virtual machines work on laptop CPUs. I wonder if VHDs work with Linux...?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Everything mentioned can be handled by a good Intel CPU (and its integrated graphics). Any discreet graphics would just be a bonus. That said, I have no idea how virtual machines work on laptop CPUs. I wonder if VHDs work with Linux...?
Why VHDs in particular? They're used by Microsoft VirtualPC, but everything can be easily converted/mounted in other formats. VirtualBox for example uses VDI - but in any case I'd just rebuild the VMs from scratch, especially if he's going to use another hypervisor.

They do work very well nowadays thanks to the various hardware virtualisation support added in CPUs. Everything onwards from a 2nd gen Core iX is going to be good enough to virtualise two VMs. I hope not Windows ones though - I regularly run at least one-two Linux VMs on a 2010 MacBook Pro with a Core2 Duo and I have resources to spare to keep the system snappy enough. Start a Windows 10 VM and everything chokes down :P But that might be VirtualBox's fault, not sure how advanced is their Win10 support...

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where does old model laptop go when new ones are out? A powerful 2nd/3rd gen i-X CPU & GTX770M/780M/870M GPU would be better than these latest model with hyped price & not too powerful performance.

Ideally, I want Windows 7.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: