Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
7nhblYz.jpg
The long-awaited "Grand Theft Auto V" add-on, "Grand Theft Auto Online" launched, and... it did not take off without its fair share of problems. This Massive Multiplayer Online Carnage Game (MMOCG, if you will) was highly-anticipated and the moment it launched, the flood gates have opened - players have overloaded the servers quicker than anyone (more like "everyone") could've predicted.​
A "Mission Failed" message before a Mission even properly starts is just one of the problems "GTA Online" players are facing right now... provided they even connect in the first place, as "Rockstar Cloud Servers" may (and probably will) be "unavailable to them at the moment".​
Such a situation was to be expected - the game sold over 15 million units and all those players wanted to have a taste of the Online experience as fast as possible. When will they be given the chance to do so without raging at the screen? Rockstar is "working on fixing the situation around the clock", but it's hard not to compare this to the "Diablo 3" fiasco and its infamous "Error 37". Fortunately "Grand Theft Auto V" is actually a good game so this situation probably won't give it a bad name... it has enraged millions of gamers though.​
EDIT: Status Update, courtesy of ShadowSoldier
Thank you everyone for continuing to bear with us since yesterday’s initial roll out of Grand Theft Auto Online – we’re aware that a variety of technical difficulties have made it difficult to get access and that the experience has been a bit less than smooth for many of you who jumped in straight away, so here are a few updates as of this afternoon to keep you all apprised.

At the Rockstar Games Support site, there is a dedicated article listing out the most common technical issues being reported. Things are changing and developing frequently but here are some latest updates as of this afternoon:
  • For PlayStation 3 users, a PlayStation Network server issue was detected that was limiting the amount of possible concurrent users. This was preventing most players from accessing GTA Online altogether and as of this morning, that problem was resolved.
  • There is an issue that is preventing some players from getting through the first tutorial mission across both platforms. Many players have been able to get through this with repeated retries, and we are working on unblocking this for everyone as soon as possible.
  • This morning, we experienced some instability across the GTA Online services which is affecting even people who have progressed beyond the tutorial mission. We are identifying these issues now and are working to restore stability for users as soon as possible.
  • For the time being and until we have been able to get everybody access to GTA Online and things are running smoothly, we have disabled the option of purchasable GTA$ cash packs. Players can however keep on earning GTA$ by pulling off Jobs and other profitable gameplay activities rather than purchasing cash packs.
You can keep updated on these and other common issues by subscribing to the GTA Online Launch Status Rockstar Support article at http://support.rockstargames.com/hc...6246-GTA-Online-Launch-Status-Latest-Updates-. Subscribers will be sent an automatic notification as updates happen.

All of these initial technical issues will be ironed out as soon as we can. Please know that the entire team here at Rockstar and all of our relevant partners are and will continue to be working around the clock to get the experience to be as smooth as possible, as soon as possible.
:arrow: Source #2 (source of the banner - credit where credit is due)

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's what you get for selling a billion copies of your game without having your online server ready. It's like selling the car and then putting the steering wheel in.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's what you get for selling a billion copies of your game without having your online server ready. It's like selling the car and then putting the steering wheel in.

No its like selling you a car but there's a worldwide shortage on gas so you have to wait to use it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

The server was "ready", it just wasn't ready to support several million players at the same time. ;) That's "stretching it" even by MMO standards and for all intents and purposes, this isn't an MMO. The popularity of the game surpassed anyone's expectations, it sold "beyond well".

D

Deleted-236924

No, it's like selling cars to everyone without releasing roads, then releasing roads that aren't nearly large enough to allow everyone on them without causing traffic everywhere.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Before the release, I was expecting major issues to approach. What do you expect? A high technical game with so much stuff LOL obviously it'll get that. I'm not playing online until I finish the story. At the part where you have to pay for your "deeds".

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
No. it's like.....oh wait

I guess it shouldn't of been too much of a surprise considering how many would of been trying to get on-line.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The server was "ready", it just wasn't ready to support several million players at the same time. ;) That's "stretching it" even by MMO standards and for all intents and purposes, this isn't an MMO. The popularity of the game surpassed anyone's expectations, it sold "beyond well".

It was either ready, or it wasn't ready. You must prepare for the worst case scenario, and they didn't, which is why several million players logging on at the same time overloaded the server. ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Spoilers ComeTurismO, spoilers. ;)
It was either ready, or it wasn't ready. You must prepare for the worst case scenario, and they didn't, which is why several million players logging on at the same time overloaded the server. ;)
Let me rephrase that then - they were ready... for a much smaller number of players online at the same time. :tpi:

By "ready" I meant that the infrastructure was set up, it's the player count bottleneck that failed... and yes, that means they weren't "ready" for these circumstances. :P

Reactions: calmwaters
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Spoilers ComeTurismO, spoilers. ;)

Let me rephrase that then - they were ready... for a much smaller number of players online at the same time. :tpi:

By "ready" I meant that the infrastructure was set up, it's the player count bottleneck that failed... and yes, that means they weren't "ready" for these circumstances. :P

OH SHIT LEMME EDIT DAT

Reactions: calmwaters

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I expected something like this to happen, which is why I didn't even bother trying it out.

To whomever was crying about Rockstar being not ready or whatever, that's hardly the reason this happened. There are very few games outside of a couple MMOs that have several million users attempt to connect to their servers at one time. It's not that Rockstar wasn't ready, it was that everybody else was too ready. Hell, I doubt most sites would be able to handle traffic like that.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm glad i didn't try to get on-line with GTA5 too, cause that would of made matters worse :unsure:
I doubt one person would have made a difference unless you had like tens of thousands of consoles with GTA5 ready to connect :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I expected something like this to happen, which is why I didn't even bother trying it out.

To whomever was crying about Rockstar being not ready or whatever, that's hardly the reason this happened. There are very few games outside of a couple MMOs that have several million users attempt to connect to their servers at one time. It's not that Rockstar wasn't ready, it was that everybody else was too ready. Hell, I doubt most sites would be able to handle traffic like that.

The average Pokeflood is entirely capable of knocking out GBATemp servers, multiply that by thousands upon thousands and you're getting close to the problems Rockstar was facing. :P

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
You'd have thought given that the game made its development budget back and more just on pre-orders that they'd have had some idea as to how popular the game would be and increased server capacity accordingly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse