Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source

Some info we knew about and other info we didn't! The impression I got from this preview was that this game is just everything that could be GTA 5 only with a difference in look. Pretty much goes to show that the developers have really treated this as a proper entry in the series unlike the PSP games which were more of the same.

QUOTE said:
“Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars” Details

-The March 17 M-rated DS game stars Huang Lee. Rockstar reps compared Huang to other recent “GTA” protagonists like Niko Bellic, saying Huang is more of a “spoiled brat” and a bit “hapless,” less the confident criminal of a Niko and more a young man a bit out of his depth.

-The game starts with Huang having to deliver a sword, but no, there’s no shield and bombs Rockstar says. This game isn’t “Zelda.”

-The game renders four of GTA IV”’s five Liberty City regions from a top-down perspective (Broker, Dukes, Bohan and Algonquin) , with buildings and vehicles modeled in 3D on the DS’ top screen. The bottom screen offers a map and item/map/stats interface. Console players, this game doesn’t take place in the Liberty City of “GTA IV.” It takes place in a Liberty City. So don’t expect crossovers with last year’s console game. And the recreations of Liberty City neighborhoods are, according to a Rockstar rep, similar but not “street for street” with “GTA IV.”

-Rockstar boasts that the game includes more than 900,000 lines of hand-optimized code. The primary development team, Rockstar Leeds, reports that the game’s terrain is larger than the cities rendered by the team’s PSP “Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories” and “Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories.”

-The game is primarily played with buttons and D-pad. The former control things like shooting and jacking vehicles. The latter is used for vehicle movement.

-The game’s missions are scored and designed to be replayed at any time. This is a radical departure from recent “GTA” games. Finishing a mission in a required amount of time or by meeting otther criteria will reward a player with a gold, silver or bronze medal. A bulletin board in Huang’s hideout allows him to re-access each of those levels to try for a better medal.

-The Rockstar’s “Chinatown Wars” public relations rep who played some of the game for me, did so with a stylus cradled in his hand. He plays like this because the game is stuffed with touch-screen game moments which are rendered on the game’s lower (touch) screen. There are lots of them. In my time with the game I had to use the stylus to assemble a sniper rifle, I saw the Rockstar rep have to flick change into a toll booth (a moment the rep said had only been added in the most recent two builds of this March game), a windshield needed to be poked out of a car sinking in a river, and one of many dumpsters could be rummaged through wiht the stylus swiping garbage this way and that before uncovering a pistol.

-The game plays more like an arcade game than recent “Grand Theft Auto”s. From a top-down view it would be easy to recall not just the original 2D “GTA” games but arcade classics like Robotron that had players firing in all directions at enemies swarming the playing field. The sound effects of the gun splatter and the burning tire tracks from a well-spun-out car make this game feel more like an action-cartoon than the more serious quasi-realistic console “GTA”s of the last two console generations.

-The game requires minimal use of the game’s mic, allowing players to whistle for taxis, but press a button instead of whistling’s a chore.

-A couple of missions I saw were named after other video games. Rockstar reps tell me that those missions, Pursuit Farce and Street of Rage, are not the only ones that nod to other games.

-Even though the game is played in top-down perspective, it has some of the staples of the 3D “GTA”s, including slow-motion stunt jumps, a 24-hour day/night cycle and licensed music. The licensed music has been turned into instrumentals for the game (”Chinatown Wars” has no vocals). While Rockstar isn’t releasing a track list yet, reps for the company indicated that some of the licensed music would be quite familiar.

-The series’ police system has been changed. Players will still get in trouble with the law, which triggers police chases marked by a number of stars in the game’s Wanted Meter. What’s different is that evasion is not an option. Gamers must force police cars to wreck to lower the wanted rating. They can’t blow up the cars to diminish their heat. Instead, they have to cause them to go off-road, bang into a building or otherwise become disabled. Whent his happens, the car is marked with a red “x.” To support this system, the Wanted Meter displays icons of police cars. The number of car icons indicates the number of police cars that need to be stopped to drop the Wanted Meter down a star. The number of cars will increase for each Wanted level.

-Players will be able to commandeer trucks, cars, motorcycles and boats. But there are no planes, and helicopters can be rode but not piloted.

-The game makes your DS talk. Like any DS game, “Chinatown Wars” will go into a sleep mode when the DS is closed during a session of the game. When the DS is opened, players will immediately hear one of several samples from pedestrians. The first one I managed to trigger was a woman saying, “You want a piece of this pie?”

-There won’t be any dating in the game, and, no, there won’t be any touch-screen dating games.

-”Chinatown Wars” will have multiplayer modes, but Rockstar isn’t detailing them yet.

There’s plenty more in my notebook about “Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars,” but deadlines demand I stop this piece short here. I’ll have more on some of the game’s other interesting features on Friday. The impression I walked away with is that “Chinatown Wars” feels like a thorough re-thinking of the “GTA” series for Nintendo’s handheld. Some of the ideas contained in it are ambitious for the series and the system. More on some of that tomorrow, but where the PSP “GTA” games felt like more of the same impressively packed into a handheld, this game feels like it’s going to be a new flavor of “GTA.” The first impression it leaves is a good one.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sounds all good, except that there'll be no planes/choppers (well you can enter and fly in a chopper but not control it?)
I kinda thought since we saw that picture of the chopper that it'd be in the game as a pilote-able vehicle..

P

pasc

noONE said:
Sounds all good, except that there'll be no planes/choppers (well you can enter and fly in a chopper but not control it?)
I kinda thought since we saw that picture of the chopper that it'd be in the game as a pilote-able vehicle..
I wouldn´t worry bout that I guess some AR Codes could easily fix the plane problems.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
-There won’t be any dating in the game, and, no, there won’t be any touch-screen dating games.
LOL
If you get the joke
wink.gif

Seems like a good game. Hopefully ill buy it.
I wouldn't have ben able to buy it last year
tongue.gif

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im excited because they keep saying that theyre spending a lot more time on it than some other GTA games, so i have pretty high expectations

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
hmm seems like they haven't left anything out which they can handle
I think the heli probs is not that it cannot be done but becuz the flying effect cannot be handled well by players in a top-down (almost) view.
Pics didn't give the game justice but video will surely do so
I like the fact that they have made a big map and good effects... I really hope there are no bugs

MRCOOLGH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a great idea to get the game leaked extremely early. many of the critics have the finalized copy of the game. Rockstar is only polishing the game up. If someone get in touch with a person who could not only get their hands on the game but upload it as well.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the screenshot of GTA CW are terrible, i hope they going fix that, i prefer the GTA2 graphic than this one.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wekker said:
the screenshot of GTA CW are terrible, i hope they going fix that, i prefer the GTA2 graphic than this one.
Its been said that the screens issued are of the final build. People who have seen it in motion say it looks better (like most DS games) even then...who cares? As long as it plays well and doesn't have any bad slowdown.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn