Grub wont locate windows 10

bi388

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for background my pc has a 250gb nvme drive with windows 10 and separate hdds for most files. I just installed Ubuntu budgie today onto a small sata ssd, and when grub launches it does show windows 10 but it shows it under my hdd (which used to have w10 but i manually deleted all the windows files i could when i moved drives). I cannot make my nvme drive show up, and selecting it in the bios still brings me to grub so i am locked out of my windows installation. I tried using boot repair and it recognized the nvme drive as having a windows install, but running it didnt make it show up in grub. Using grub update always just has it locate linux and the hdd. If you know any way to make grub locate the nvme drive please help.

D

Deleted User

It sounds like you may need to edit your grub config file (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) manually. Assuming your laptop uses GPT/EFI, you can follow the instructions here. If your laptop uses MBR/BIOS instead, you can follow these instructions instead. It's from the Arch Wiki, but don't worry; nothing relevant should pertain specifically to Arch.

Reactions: bi388

bi388

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you may need to edit your grub config file (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) manually. Assuming your laptop uses GPT/EFI, you can follow the instructions here. If your laptop uses MBR/BIOS instead, you can follow these instructions instead. It's from the Arch Wiki, but don't worry; nothing relevant should pertain specifically to Arch.
Update, I was able to get back into windows by shrinking my nvme partition, creating an efi partition with the new space and restoring windows boot files to it. Now I obviously dont have grub, but i am back in windows. I wonder if now reinstalling grub would work, or if I would have to go through everything again. Ill try the solution you sent tomorrow if reinstalling grub doesnt work.

Reactions: Deleted User

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
when grub launches it does show windows 10 but it shows it under my hdd (which used to have w10 but i manually deleted all the windows files i could when i moved drives)
Wait, what? You didn't properly repartition the drive? Why would you do this?

bi388

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what? You didn't properly repartition the drive? Why would you do this?
Because it has all of my files on it and I didnt have anywhere to back them up to, so it was a choice of lose all my files or manually delete stuff.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Because it has all of my files on it and I didnt have anywhere to back them up to, so it was a choice of lose all my files or manually delete stuff.
Welp, got some bad news for you then. You're going to have to properly format the drive. You can't just delete the OS files. You still have the remnant NTFS file system and boot sector, which is ultimately going to cost you your files regardless if you don't back them up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended