Growing out of gaming

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by yusuo, Jul 4, 2014.

1. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    So I, like most of you have been playing games since I was really tiny, I had a commodore 64 and a nes when I was young and been playing games for 26 years near enough.
    Recently I've just gotten bored of gaming, I play my standards still to this day, such as bought a 3ds for x and y and sold the console not long after I completed the game. I think it due to lack of originality now, everything now is the same game near enough just re-skinned.
    Anybody else come across this dilemma?

2. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    I play a lot less than I did a few years ago. Partly due to work but it just isn't as fun anymore. I like multiplayer co-op games more now.

3. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Nope. Been gaming for...er...basic math, 17 or so years. I still have a metric ****ton of games I want to play and have not lost interest in it even slightly. Games are ever expanding and improving upon old concepts. Even if things are fundamentally the same, they have enough different to constantly keep me entertained. Though hell there's plenty of games I would play the exact same system, just expanded and be perfectly happy. Donkey Kong 64, but with more levels? Hell yeah gimmie some of that and i'll never be bored. Even if it was reskinned to be something else, if it played the same i'd love it.

chavosaur and weavile001 like this.
  4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I can't imagine myself growing out of gaming. In the context of my life and my approach towards games it almost sounds like "growing out of reading" or "growing out of watching movies" - you never think about growing out of those two mediums, but somehow games get the stigma of an activity for children when really they're just entertainment. I can imagine losing interest in certain genres or themes, but not in the medium itself.

Satangel likes this.
  5. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I feel like we have this thread a lot.

I'm growing out of growing out of gaming posts.

6. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    The videogames' industry is different from 20 years ago: you have more risks, and you need to convince your publisher that you ARE going to bring in money, as they put the money in the first place.
    There is little room for new experiments. Sometimes we see them, but they are mostly Indie self-published games. And when an original idea comes out from a bigge, it's probably going to be "fixed" to stay in position with the other games. It's not greediness, but more of a canis canem edit kind of shit you see in the economics field everyday.

As for your lack of gaming, nah, that's just BS. You grew up, you have more interests now. What if I told you to think about the time you played with your first console? At best all you did was playing a few games, and then school. What about now? As an adult you can have tons of games, and you have much more interests than you had when you were young.
    It's not that your interest shrink, it's your pool of life that expanded.[/quote]

7. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    Wigan, UK
    Ha, yeah I was just about to dig up the 'Holy thread revival Batman' pic before clicking... 40yo next year me (ulp!) Still love gaming, but find my attention span has dropped these days: I remember I could easily kick back until 4am on Final Fantasy Tactics back in the PS1 days, but even if there's an equivalent that's just as good now, it'll get half an hour tops before I move on.... Partly due to age perhaps, or maybe just we're spoiled for choice these days?

8. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I'm actually putting it down to piracy, piracy on the ds/ps3/wii where I owned as many games as I wanted and I was literally spoilt for choice just made me take it for granted and as such killed my interest.
    I got offered a ps3 for very little the other day and turned it down. The only games that keep me coming back for me is Nintendo and the ol skool classics. Completed twilight princess again yesterday might hit wind waker again soon but fucking hate the triforce mission at the end

9. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I'm not growing out of gaming, it's just due to industrial shifts in the Eastern gaming industry and the West not delivering what I want at all, I game primarily on the 3DS and Vita because that's where 95% of the games I want are on.

10. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I'm 24 and I ain't bored of the games, but if there's one which I played to death then yeah, I probably can't stand that game any more.

During my breaks I usually play NES roms on my PSP, mostly Mario 3 and Excitebike, it's hilarious seeing the others falling off their bikes.

Ammako likes this.
  11. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Sucks for you :mellow:

EZ-Megaman and Madridi like this.
  12. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    nevar

for me, it's like a rollercoaster. It has it's ups and downs, but at the end, I just wanna ride it again and again.

Right now, I'm gaming so damn little. And it's been like that for these past few months. I guess my gaming self will emerge during the end of the year.

13. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    HA, i tihnk i know what you mean. Jk, I just cant get into anything anymore because I have far too much to play.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  14. BrightNeko

BrightNeko Popcorn ball

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    Texas
    I feel like I'm growing out of it often, many games I pick up I don't finish or lose interest in very fast. These are games I just can't get into. Thing is though a lot of these are popular or things tons of people around me talk about. So I end up feeling like I've fallen behind with the times cause they to me aren't very fun. Things like call of duty, titanfall, watch dogs, the tomb raider reboot, and so many other things. Things that people rave about, and praise up the wall.

An then the oddest games will come along and catch me just fine, and these keep my interest in the industry. Give me fond memories that keep my interest alive to check out whatever games just to see if something else can give me a smile. Recently that was shovel knight which before release I thought would be a megaman clone, and it pleasantly surprised and pulled me in. Before that is was games like persona 4G, gravity rush, monster tale, skies of arcadia. The last 3 aren't even what you'd call amazing, hell gravity rush even killed all it's potential by the 5th episode.

Really it is all about finding what can still interest you. It doesn't take much digging to find something different/new that got left behind or catch something that is coming soon.

15. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I game less then I used to.
    Mostly due to the bad quality of most games these days.
    But I like playing games so I'll continue to do so till the day I die c: