Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Insects are the food of the future, according to environmental scientists, and R. M. Renfield. They are packed full of protein, calcium and amino acids, they eat almost anything, take several orders of magnitude less resources per pound to grow than meat, and are full of life and consuming their life force makes us immortal overall neat. Millions of people around the world already eat them regularly, they are making their way to new markets, they have been part of the human diet since the advent of man (often times intentionally), and the slang for food is "grub", so what more needs to be said? Time to get your grub on.

And just how you can grow your own tomatoes in a pot on the windowsill, and keep chickens in the yard, it would be nice if you could grow your own grub(s) in your own home (again, intentionally; I'm not counting cockroaches and weevils), at least according to Katharina Unger, an industrial design graduate of University of Applied Arts in Vienna, designer of Farm 432, a tabletop fly farm that lets you grow your own... protein, let's call it that, makes it more palatable, in the comfort of your own kitchen (or some remote locked room, if you're squeamish).

Just "seed" the farm with initial grubs, who then develop into flies and produce more grubs. The grubs grow and end up in the harvesting pot, ready to become, well, grub. Save a few of the juicier ones for re-seeding and the process begins anew. The prototype produces half a kilo (one pound) of... protein a week, and the process can be scaled up for industrial farming. Apparently they're good in a risotto. And if you use brown rice you won't even notice they're there.

osj6iYJ.jpg

"WTF is this shit?"

OlWofDN.jpg

Waiter, there is some soup on my fly.

Fly, you fools!

Also handy if you have a pet lizard. Store-bought mealworms are a ripoff.

:arrow: Sauce
:arrow: More sauce.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's another way to grow your own grub. It's called "actual farming". :tpi:

I know other ways to grow your "grub" :creep:

In all seriousness, I would never eat a grub, mostly because they look gross. I would much rather eat grasshopper and crickets.

Reactions: nryn99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Real Jdbye I am going AMD this gen still debating 7900XT or XTX