Group releasing ROMs... How and When..

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by aristo, Jan 25, 2007.

Jan 25, 2007
  1. aristo
    OP

Newcomer aristo Advanced Member

South Africa
    Ok, I've been doing some searching, but I haven't found any answer I was looking for...
    I am really curious...

1. ROM numbering... We are at now 830's of ROMs...
    Who numbers them?? How do we know in what order these ROMs are getting released???

2. GROUPs like WRG, sirVG are releasing ROMs...
    ok releasing- I mean somehow they letting these ROMs out... but where??? IRC? HTTP??
    so, who governs release of a ROM... 2 or 3 Groups could release same rom on same date..
    perhaps on a launching date of a specific game.. Is there someone of someplace where they
    must register their releases?

DOES ANYBODY KNOW????

2. madmk

Member madmk GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I assume the numbers would be specific to the game's release date. As for the distribution, I'm sure they have a small private network based on IRC or something similar, and then the ROMs get passed around different channels, say on EFNet to people who host them.

Its a pretty rapid process if you think about it.

3. aristo
    OP

South Africa
    Thanks for the reply....

I still wonder.. What if Group X releases a game "A" and calls it #833
    and same time Group Y releases a game "B" and calls it #833...
    Is there someone like GOD of NDS Roms to settle the dispute?

How does GBAtemp.net gets the list of released ROMs so promptly??

4. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Group X and Y don't number ROMs, the scene does and that can lead to some problems.
    If two groups release the same ROM on the same day then the team that got it online first win's, providing its a good dump.

GBAtemp gets their information about the ROMs from their IRC channel, and thats usually more up to date than the front page of GBAtemp, for example the latest ROM is Star_Fox_Command_EUR_NDS-SUPREMACY.

5. aristo
    OP

South Africa
    Oh my word!

Thank you... that clears a lot!!! [​IMG]

So which IRC channel should I look into to get these info?? I want to see this releasing happening with my own eyes!!!
    Exciting! [​IMG]

6. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    #gbatemp on efnet for GBA
    #ndstemp on efnet for DS

7. aristo
    OP

South Africa
    Oh THANK YOU legendofphil... [​IMG]

Off I go~~~!

8. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Edit: nevermind.

9. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    roms come from mother rom... when daddy rom and mommy rom loves each other very much then comes kid rom... its that simple!

10. rest0re

Finland
    i thinks gbatemp staff got private ftp lolz!

11. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    well since gbatemps the biggest nds website for homebrew and roms. they will probably be the first to get told.

12. grubbymitts

Member grubbymitts GBAtemp Regular

13. rest0re

Finland
    that the scene text in wikipedia is bullshit. scene existed before widespread use of bbs. it all started from disk-swapping via mail or actually from some homebrew computer club...

14. Empyre

Newcomer Empyre Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Lolz about three years of my life revolved around recieving 20+ jiffy bags full of floppy disks every day, testing each disk, making 20+ copies of it, bagging it up and posting it on to 20+ other people. Put sellotape over the stamp on the jiffy bag so you could wipe off the postmark and reuse it.

Finally BBS's started up and you could box onto a BBS and download amiga games at 2400bps (about 1 hour for an 880k disk image).

Buying floppy disks in bulk at computer shows and spending a weekend at a copy party. Those were the days lol

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez is more interesting than the scene page

15. opcode32

Member opcode32 powerh8er par excellence

United States
    no decent group cares about the numbering. releases are also not passed via irc/channels, http or whatever either. there is also no need to tell anyone when something is released. if your distribution is good enough the release will make it to pretty much everyone within a few hours without any problems. so gbatemp just reports the releases as soon as they get ahold of them, which doesn't neccessarily have to be the time they got actually put out.
    it's pretty much possible to track back each release pretty much to the exact second it got out. so whoever puts it out first wins, the other release is a dupe.

16. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    And that usually why groups bitch about each other saying their better.

Staring at mirc doesn't really sound exciting....

17. grubbymitts

Member grubbymitts GBAtemp Regular

Oh god yes! I remember those heady days of staring at Xcopy on the Amiga for hours and hours. Sticking sellotape over the stamps to wipe off the postmark. In the end it was easier just to swap the contents of one jiffy bag with another. I was a member of the Norths Staffs Amiga Club at Kay's Club in Stoke - one of the biggest Amiga computer clubs in the country where some of the most elite people traded and where we got busted by FAST more regularly than having a shit. LOL. 14p a floppy from the dude who sold peripherals if I remember rightly.

18. lars

Newcomer lars Member

Zimbabwe
    1. Groups do not do ROM numbering (they only count their own releases)

2. This situation is called RACE and the one and only reason to do releases. Its competition.

19. rest0re

Finland
    basically old days first bbses started in usa and europe. but modems werent compatible in europe and usa in early-mid 80's so eu import groups had to get usa modem. often they were sent by usa sysops so they could import warez faster to europe. but modems werent that common until mid to late 80's so people used to sent disks by mail. often modem release was faster but then swapping release was fixed/bug removed/trained. but then trainers were often hidden in earlier release for example if oyu pressed t key in triad old crackintro you get into trainer.. so triad c64 was first making trainer.. but this is just all my knowledge might be wrong, i didnt live that period just read up facts all over and talked with people who knew... i wish i had lived days when some people at copyparty wired phoneline from church and started importing warez to usa [​IMG]

20. Tamyu

Member Tamyu GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    It`s really interesting that I can actually remember the days of BBSing (Sorry, I`m a bit too young for the bagged disk era.)
    I was probably the ONLY gradeschool female (7 or 8 at the time I started) on the boards, if not - at the very least in my area. I can remember the thrill I`d feel every time the sysop of my favorite BBS would head to a convention or party... There would be another new folder of files to download at the screaming speed of 1200bps. (later 2400 and then 9600!!)

Ah, those were the days... Or maybe not. But it was all very personal. I remember when I went to high school, one of the seniors actually knew who I was based on my handle (And I knew who he was, as he was a pretty well know member of the *real* scene at the time. I was just... someone who hung around and talked to them.)

Sorry... This thread has made me a bit nostalgic.

I wonder whatever happened to my favorite sysop.... I even ended up hanging out at his house a few times.