group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by OrcMonkey©, Apr 2, 2008.

1. OrcMonkey©
    OP

Banned OrcMonkey© Banned

A group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher, bringing a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape and other items for the job and assigning children tasks including covering the windows and cleaning up afterward, police said Tuesday.

The plot by as many as nine boys and girls at Center Elementary School in south Georgia was a serious threat, Waycross Police Chief Tony Tanner said.

"We did not hear anybody say they intended to kill her, but could they have accidentally killed her? Absolutely," Tanner said. "We feel like if they weren't interrupted, there would have been an attempt. Would they have been successful? We don't know."

The children, ages 8 and 9, were apparently mad at the teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, Tanner said. A prosecutor said they are too young to be charged with a crime under Georgia law.

School officials alerted police Friday after a pupil tipped off a teacher that a girl had brought a weapon to school, Tanner said.

Police seized a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape, electrical and transparent tape, ribbons and a crystal paperweight from the students, who apparently intended to use them against the teacher, Tanner said.

Nine children have been given discipline up to and including long-term suspension, said Theresa Martin, spokeswoman for the Ware County school system. She would not be more specific but said none of the children had been back to school since the case came to light.

The purported target is a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with learning disabilities including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.

The scheme involved a division of roles, Tanner said. One child's job was to cover windows so no one could see outside, he said. Another was supposed to clean up after the attack.

"We're not sure at this point in the investigation how many of the students actually knew the intent was to hurt the teacher," Tanner said.

The parents of the students have cooperated with investigators, who aren't allowed to question the children without their parents' or guardians' consent, he said. Authorities have withheld the children's names.

Police expected to forward the results of their investigation to prosecutors, Tanner said.

Children in Georgia can't be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said.

Martin told The Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville, Fla., that administrators would follow school system policy and state law in disciplining the students.

"From what I understand, they were considered pretty good kids," Martin said. "But we have to take this seriously, whether they were serious or not about carrying this through, and that's what we did."

Four mothers of other third-grade students at Center Elementary called for the immediate expulsion of the suspected plotters.

Stacy Carter and Deana Hiott both cited school system policy stating that any student who brings "anything reasonably considered to be a weapon" is to be expelled for at least the remainder of the school year.

"We don't want our children around them," Carter told the Times-Union. "The one with the knife could have stabbed my child or someone else's child at lunch or out on the playground."

"This is an isolated incident, an aberration. ... We have good kids," Center Principal Angie Coleman told the newspaper.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh my god

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Children that broken must have been broken at home.

3. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Eh, I don't know 9 kids from the same class all mistreated enough at home to turn terrible toddlers? Cannibal children? Killer kids? I doubt it. This seems like a simple case of one or two bad seeds talking the rest of the kids into it.

Also, video games will get blamed for this, because of course there's no way kids could go crazy on their own. [​IMG]

(Also, are you sure this story wasn't released on April fool's day? It seems a bit farfetched).

4. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    I never said they were all broken at home ... just enough of them broken at home to break the rest.

5. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'm loling how the police guy was named Tanner. Wonder if he's ever played Driver?

6. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Ah, well then, we agree. [​IMG]

7. OrcMonkey©
    OP

Banned OrcMonkey© Banned

No it was on the news paper

8. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Yes, definitely ... all it takes is one or two dominant children to control a group.

9. OrcMonkey©
    OP

Banned OrcMonkey© Banned

oh yeah and also they planned so someone would be in front of the door so no one comes in. Also some kid was supposed to bring a paper weight to knock out the teacher

10. MadBob

Member MadBob Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

United Kingdom
  11. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    This reminds me of the scene in RE: Apocalypse where the zombie tots attack the reporter in the school...don't ask me why. It just does.

12. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    pretty scary shit... I'm guessing the teacher has become slightly more alert since and probably won't scold the kids any more. Well kids get all kinds of idiotic ideas. It's a good thing now that u've grown up u can reflect on how you yourself would react if the same thing was done to you before you do something stupid.

13. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Yeah, I saw this on the news last night, funny as hell. They had a picture of the paperweight they were gonna use, too. A good blow with that would've come close to killing the guy, even if a third grader did it. I actually have one that looks almost exactly like it.

14. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
  15. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    bloody hell, and all for telling a kid not to stand on a chair, those kids are real messed up.

16. mflo

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    tee hee hee~
    Wow... Kids are messed up these days. Well.. I agree with Ace about the bad kids controlling the rest.
    They'll be like... future terrorists :wtf:

I'll mend their broken hearts with my gourmet eggrolls of truth and beauty. Grande sized.

17. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    I'd smother the ringleaders with a pillow, personally.

If the ringleaders are that broken now, they will only get worse.

You may say I am heartless, but I speak as a parent of several children, of assorted ages ... and if one of my children were to become like that, I'd not be able to live with myself, as I had obviously failed them.

18. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    ^^ lol i guess it would rather be them or you....if they were my kids i would be putting a gun under my pillow XD

19. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    That's why parents should beat their kids.

In all seriousness, parents should make sure they properly discipline their children.

20. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    I don't hit my kids, but they know how things should be ... I try to instill a sense of right and wrong, to the best of my abilities ... plus, they know that if they really fuck up, I will kill them, and make more that look just like them, and no-one will know mwahahaha [​IMG]