Group boycotts 3DS because it fuels human right abuses.

• Thread starter croagunk.master
  • Start date
  • Views 13,310
  • Replies 171
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Stupid ignorant\oblivious child.
Says the one supporting a cause that the founder himself doesn't even know is true. Get the flowers and peace signs out of your eyes, and look at the world around you. A large majority of products, including for sure, the computer you're using right now, are made under slave-owned or hard labor conditions. Feel free to not buy those products, but you're only hurting yourself. Boycotting these kinds of products isn't going to do anything. 500 sales lost for Nintendo is like a girl running a lemonade stand losing 1 sale out of 20.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Slyakin said:
I wonder if this is gonna happen with the NGP as well. It would be hard to believe that the NGP WON'T have conflict material.
Why not.

To boycott NGP is really easy, we already have people here doing it from day -365.

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
twiztidsinz said:
Says the one supporting a cause that the founder himself doesn't even know is true. Get the flowers and peace signs out of your eyes, and look at the world around you. A large majority of products, including for sure, the computer you're using right now, are made under slave-owned or hard labor conditions. Feel free to not buy those products, but you're only hurting yourself. Boycotting these kinds of products isn't going to do anything. 500 sales lost for Nintendo is like a girl running a lemonade stand losing 1 sale out of 20.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate it when people uncover things like this and act like it's new. It's been going on for ages, and just because you found out about it doesn't mean you should go around whining. Seriously, if you want to complain, boycott golf, not the thing that will get you the most attention. And people call geohot an attention whore -.-

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThePowerOutage said:
I hate it when people uncover things like this and act like it's new. It's been going on for ages, and just because you found out about it doesn't mean you should go around whining. Seriously, if you want to complain, boycott golf, not the thing that will get you the most attention. And people call geohot an attention whore -.-
same here

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The group wasted a few minutes of my time with their assumption, and I find that abusing my rights as a human. We should take them down!

To add, boycotting a company using such "conflict material" is not going to stop human right abuse. If you want that to stop, you attack the source

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
TDWP FTW said:
twiztidsinz said:

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Fear Zoa said:
RoyalCardMan said:
I am joining the boycott, since I would believe that Nintendo would do this. Their country isn't that nice.
Alright, if you flame me for joining, I will ignore insults.
Nah its fine....stand up for what you believe in ......

Never did get why people flame others for their opinions....

EDIT: I just noticed you replied to me sooo....No I'm not with the government.....I hate the government....I'm one of those we're all animals in the bigger picture sort of guys...
Okay good, well then sorry for what I said. It seems we both have something in common.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm shocked at how little some people here seem to care about human life.

As for my stance on this, I feel it is sad that I can buy my electronics and other cheap labor products without becoming at least a little depressed with how it came to my local store. As much as I am against it, I hypocritically purchase these items for a little enjoyment and entertainment. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no power to stop it. I would gladly pay more money for my products if I knew they were safely made.

In reality, for those of us who are against this form of labor, we should be ashamed of ourselves, as we have the power to stop it, yet we don't attempt to...

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Uncle FEFL said:

As for my stance on this, I feel it is sad that I can buy my electronics and other cheap labor products without becoming at least a little depressed with how it came to my local store. As much as I am against it, I hypocritically purchase these items for a little enjoyment and entertainment. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no power to stop it. I would gladly pay more money for my products if I knew they were safely made.

In reality, for those of us who are against this form of labor, we should be ashamed of ourselves, as we have the power to stop it, yet we don't attempt to...

So you suppose I should get rid of my computer, my cell phone, my TV, and any electronics in my house and refrain from buying new ones and live like a cave man until this conflict stops?

Or maybe you would like to buy me a ticket to the Congo so that I may kindly ask these mean men to stop treating human life with such disrespect?

Or maybe I should write a stern letter to them and tell them to knock it off...

Cut the shit. It's not the fault of the consumer for buying these electronics, so don't pull the guilt trip on this one.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I can't wait for the 3DS to outsell the NGP and laugh at these people.

I'm willing to bet that more than 100 people in that group use an iPhone, and we've seen the conditions those people work in. Not to mention all of the other products that are manufactured in even worse conditions. These people only hate it because it's popular.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
croagunk.master said:
A Facebook movement is getting a lot of attention for its plans to boycott the Nintendo 3DS. The group posits that the 3DS is made from "conflict mineral" -- material mined in the Congo by oppressed workers led by armed rebel groups.

I've got bad news for the people behind this black PR viral.

ALL game companies use "conflict minerals."

All of them.

This isn't a story about human rights, its a convieniently timed black PR viral launched just after the release of the 3DS. If these people were actually serious they would attack EVERY video game company that uses such materials and not just Nintendo.

Here's some more facts that prove this is just a viral. Nintendo doesn't run or have any connection to this mine. Nintendo, just like every other company on the planet, buys their materials from other sources. This is something the people behind this viral don't want you to know. Why? Because then their "boycott" would be against a plastics and materials company, and not against Nintendo, who is really the target of this deliberate smear campaign.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

This is how things work now. This is how desperate things have become. First you get one company that pays some kid in NYC to go on the internet and say shit like "ballin' shove it up your ass yo, etc." Then you get false claims of 3DS causing eye damage. Then you get BS about how 360 is made by the devil and it will literally destroy your home and drag you into hell. It seems one desperate company is doing all they can to attack their enemies by any means possible. (While they themselves go down swinging.)

Anyway, I see great potential for a libel case here. Great potential.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
TehSkull said:
Isn't the 3DS like 90% plastic? lol

I don't see there being plastic mines in the Congo. And the minuscule amount of gold/wolframite (whichever is used, I really don't know, I'm just basing it off of Wikipedia) is so pointless to boycott.

Also, where is their proof that the 3DS is actually made from these "conflict minerals" and not ones mined elsewhere?
It's not miniscule per console, and the volume of consoles sold is high as well.
There's no proof that it's from the guerrilla controlled mines as there's currently no way to trace it back because mandatory paperwork for the materials isn't required either by the company or the government, however it's more likely that it DOES come from those mines at least in part due to the fact that the guerrillas control more than half of the mines.

Do tell: what potential conflict minerals are in the 3DS? (I say potential because neither of us can prove one way or another if a particular mineral really is a conflict mineral)

By all means, open up a 3DS and show us what parts consist of conflict minerals.

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I care for human life but this seems pity to me cause I think the usa 3ds is already made just waitin to be shipped

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Uncle FEFL said:

So you suppose I should get rid of my computer, my cell phone, my TV, and any electronics in my house and refrain from buying new ones and live like a cave man until this conflict stops?

Or maybe you would like to buy me a ticket to the Congo so that I may kindly ask these mean men to stop treating human life with such disrespect?

Cut the shit. It's not the fault of the consumer for buying these electronics, so don't pull the guilt trip on this one.
Egypt could live without network, which is a bad idea as well, but they survived, so why couldn't we survive without electronics?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
RoyalCardMan said:
TwinRetro said:
Uncle FEFL said:

Egypt could live without network, which is a bad idea as well, but they survived, so why couldn't we survive without electronics?

We can certainly survive without electronics. That's not the question. I'm saying it's not a very viable option. You wouldn't find many people to do that, and even if you did, whether you like it or not, our country and most of the world runs on electronics.

No electronics for anyone? Well, that means no internet, no electricity, Traffic would come to a standstill, no one would be able to call their loved ones, The stock market would crash faster than you can blink and the entire world would be in upheaval. Don't be so dense.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:

Both the businessmen and the consumers are at fault.

We can treat this issue the same way as we treat environmental policies, except, you know, we'd be saving lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse