(Green) R4ill 3DS Revolution Kernel Update for DSI XL 1.4.3

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by ChenZhen, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ChenZhen
    OP

Newcomer ChenZhen Newbie

United States
    I own a r4ill 3DS revolution r4 (Green) which I bought last May. Back then, my DSI XL firmware was 1.4.1U, I unintentionally updated my DSI XL firmware to 1.4.3U and now, my r4 won't work anymore. I periodically check www.ndsill.net since then for kernel updates. I'm currently using the kernel update dated 06/28/11 (http://down8.szeweb.net/kernel/ENG.rar) but I keep on getting the DSI XL black error screen. Are there any alternative kernel updates for my R4 or their website hasn't just released the latest kernel for 1.4.3U?

thanks

2. Kashif

Newcomer Kashif Advanced Member

United States
    No, with these crappy clones, you have to buy a new card every time you update your ds. These clones are no good (r4igold.cn, ndsill.net, etc)

3. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    The ndsill.net cannot have it's firmware updated so you cannot get it updated to work on 1.4.3. The kernel and firmware are two different things. A cards firmware is burned onto a ROM and allows the cart to bypass the Nintendo security to boot the kernel from the SDHC card. Changing kernel will not help you I'm afraid.

You will have to buy another cart. Go for a cart that has successfully been updateable in the past such as the AceKard 2i. That way whilst it doesn't protect you fully from the cart being patchable to work with any future DSi firmware updates it does mean there is every likelihood that your cart will be updateable in the future.

4. ChenZhen
    OP

Newcomer ChenZhen Newbie

United States

Thanks, you gave me a comprehensive answer. Now I know that I shouldn't wait for the next update of my r4, I'll start looking for acekard 2i

5. lightakejerry

Newcomer lightakejerry Advanced Member

United States
    I think you're doing a smart choice