GREAT THREAD O' ANIME APPRECIATION

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by jurassicplayer, Dec 21, 2012.

Dec 21, 2012
  1. jurassicplayer
    OP

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    -CAPS LOCK FOR CRUISE CONTROL-

So, right. Was listening to a transcription of the Chu2 OP song from Animenzzz and then I thought "I need an anime appreciation thread." Thus, here we are with an anime appreciation thread. What is this thread about? WELL, besides being in EoF, it's about anime. WHY EoF? Because I can't trust you people to keep on topic to save a life.

So here is the defining features of this thread:
    - It's an anime appreciation thread, not a thread about what is your favorite anime character.
    - It's an anime appreciation thread, not a place to rage on a series.
    - It's an anime appreciation thread, not a place to say "TTGL greatest animu evar period."
    - It's an anime appreciation thread, SHOW SOME FUCKING APPRECIATION.
    Give a little blurb about what makes the anime something you appreciate.

With all of that said, I shall talk about Chu2 or for the losers who don't know crap, it's Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
    So why did I choose this instead of anything else? Because I'm listening to the OP song from it. DEAL WITH IT.

Anyways, what makes Chu2 something to watch...It's amusing. The story in a bubble: the heroine has issues and the main character used to have issues. It's light as hell and amusing in the beginning, and the cast is a bunch of idiot high schoolers who at least have some sort of brain rather than LB! where they seem to have none. Then it goes to some actual deeper shit and whatnot. btw, if you watched it and don't like the latter half, I'll tell you the reason why: IT'S 2 DEEP 4 U, go watch Lucky Star or K-On! I'm sure those would be easier for your brain to understand. Pretty much, it's a typical light hearted introduction of the cast and then slowly moving on to the more important topics throughout the series.

Aside from that, the OP/ED songs are marvelous, and this piano transcription as well.

1 person likes this.

2. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    You know we have a TV section for this right?

Ammako likes this.
  3. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    I agree with OP.

also hidden blog.

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Adventure Time is an awesome cartoon.

DrOctapu, raulpica and Ammako like this.
  5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I appreciate that I can just ignore anime to my heart's content.

Guild McCommunist likes this.
  6. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    TEEN TITANS GO!
    That's Anime Right..?

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  7. BORTZ

United States
    Awe yeah Samurai Jack baby
    [​IMG]

Castiel likes this.
  8. Sop

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    tfw western cartoons are also anime, weaboos have just made it seem like anime only applies to japan

9. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States

And there it is, folks.
    Okay, who bet on 21.5 hours before the first use of "weeaboo" ?

Ammako and BortzANATOR like this.
  10. BORTZ

United States
    Nope.

Animation started in America and evenually found its way over to Japan. Japan adapted and created their own style and refer to it as Anime. I am aware the Japanese word for cartoon is Anime, but as with any translation, theres never a one to one transfer. Outside of japan, cartoons and comics are different from anime and manga. We have a distinction between the two styles of art. However, in Japan, all cartoons and comics are referred to as anime and manga, respectively.

"Eastern anime" or any cartoons animated in Japan is original anime.
    Outside of that, is Western anime. These are faux anime creations. They mimic the original but there are differences. Western doesnt just include America. Europe, China, and Korea are included in that group. They are copying from the original eastern style.

Western Faux animes include Air Bender, Samurai Jack, Teen Titans (however that one is debatable, mostly because its derived from the DC universe which is a clear "American comic"). The values displayed in each are very different as well. American or western cartoons have tropes and themes that are largely the same from one episode to the next, ie, Jack geting a glimps of getting home to his own time only to have Aku squash it. The good old good vs evil. The characters are well defined and roles are almost set in stone. there's a protagonist, an antagonist, and a damsel in distress. Where cartoons rarely get beyond the cliche', Eastern Anime usually uses each episode that advances the overall plot and has each episode as a mini climax, or building to the next. Plots are rarely simple or predicable, and deep topics are addressed, such as religion, politics, morals, etc.

Death and mortality are a rare issue in american cartoons even if it is a faux anime. Take Air Bender. Its clear that Jet and Admiral Zhao are killed in the series. But its brushed over to keep a lighter tone to the whole thing. If it were an anime, Zhao would have been seen getting slaughtered by the blue spirit. I mean he was evil as all get out. Characters heavy handed evil or heroic iconically get a special death scene. Jet would have been seen getting killed by his own men in the caverns of Lake Laogai. Actually come to think of it, if you didnt take time to think about it, you probaby didnt even notice either of those two died.

EDIT
    Cartoons ≠ Anime (logically)

Sterling likes this.
  11. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    I'm told the Japanese word "anime" literally translates to "cartoon".

And I find it amusing that they even make a "joke" about Jet dying, in the third season.

12. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    And I'm going to have to disagree, Bortz. Like squares and rectangles, all anime are cartoons, but not all cartoons are anime.

While Western and Eastern animation feature different tropes, stylistic choices, and guiding philosophies, that doesn't make them entirely different mediums. At the end of the day, animation is animation, and that's what "cartoon" refers to.

To use an outside example, filmmakers around the world may have different ideas about story structure, themes, characters, etc., but the end results are always recognized as "movies" before being broken into their respective genres and subgenres.

13. BORTZ

United States
    Ah. Well that is just my understanding. Gahars, i uh agree with you, i guess i didnt state it that way, anime are cartoons, but not the other way around.

Gahars likes this.
  14. Sop

Australia
    WEABOO WEABOO WEABOO WEABOO

I CAN SAY IT ALL I WANT VULPES-chan

Vulpes-chan wa kawaii desu~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15. Castiel

Member Castiel GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Fixed.

Narayan likes this.
  16. Sop

Australia
    WEEEEEEABOOOOOOOB

17. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States

Wait, Longshot and Smellerbee died? Since when? WTF NOW I HAVE TO GO BACK THROUGH A:TLA AGAIN JUST TO SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!! *Reverse flips table and set computer on it* What? This is from last time I flipped a table. I was just too lazy to flip it back.

18. BORTZ

United States
    no no Jet gets mortally wounded and longshot puts him out of his misery.

19. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    lol, this made me read bortz's post.

20. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    TTGL IS THE FUCKING GREATEST ANIME EVER

Sterling likes this.