OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
da_head said:
mine is nearly identical to urs, except i have a 9600, and mine cost $100 less. let me find the link
o and mine has a blueray player.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123...p;#entry1641188
Link to the laptop doesn't work anymore
frown.gif
. I see that the only thing is doesn't have is a 2 year warranty..

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they're trying to blind you with the 320GB hard drive and the 4GB of RAM. The 2.0ghz processor is pretty slow for the price. Most laptops in that price range are around 2.4ghz at least. The machine also doesn't have a discrete graphics card, so it will be terrible for gaming.

Besides that, the machine is decent. The inclusion of HDMI is pretty nice. I tend to stray away from 15'' laptops if you intend to take it on the go anywhere personally. I just feel that this particular laptop doesn't offer anything special for that price. For the same price, and maybe even a few dollars less, you could get a touch screen Tablet PC from HP with a discrete graphics card, or for $300 more you could get a well built Macbook.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
da_head said:
o the link doesn't work? well i posted all the specs there so just scroll down..
It really doesn't matter, if they don't have it anymore there's no point in finding out what it had.

QUOTE(Foxle @ Jan 1 2009, 02:50 PM) I think they're trying to blind you with the 320GB hard drive and the 4GB of RAM. The 2.0ghz processor is pretty slow for the price. Most laptops in that price range are around 2.4ghz at least. The machine also doesn't have a discrete graphics card, so it will be terrible for gaming.

Besides that, the machine is decent. The inclusion of HDMI is pretty nice. I tend to stray away from 15'' laptops if you intend to take it on the go anywhere personally. I just feel that this particular laptop doesn't offer anything special for that price. For the same price, and maybe even a few dollars less, you could get a touch screen Tablet PC from HP with a discrete graphics card, or for $300 more you could get a well built Macbook.
Thanks. I think I'll wait for a sale then.

I'm planing on using it somewhat on go and when I'm at home I'm going to use my 32" HDTV with it.

And don't even say Macbook! (Mac hater here!)

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
playallday said:
da_head said:
o the link doesn't work? well i posted all the specs there so just scroll down..
It really doesn't matter, if they don't have it anymore there's no point in finding out what it had.
well i suggest u wait a little bit, and u can get a much better deal.

and to the other guy, there's no way in hell u can get a laptop with 2.4ghz core 2 duo at 999.

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The second machine is much like the first, except it's price is much more realistic for what you're getting. Some insight into what you are doing would be helpful. If you're gaming, then you'll need to make sure that your machine has a dedicated graphics card in it. If you're just going to be surfing the web and maybe doing some word processing, you might as well save yourself the money and get a Netbook.

Off at my college, I've seen a ton of people be dis-satisfied with their laptop purchase because they tried to buy a generic general purpose 15'' machine. These machines usually end up being too heavy/bulky to carry around and use in class, on a plane, at a cafe, etc, but they also end up usually falling short of a desktop's performance in terms of gaming.

You need to take a good long look at what you're actually going to be using your laptop for, and plan accordingly. If you ever plan on taking the laptop off your desk, then don't get anything over 13 inches. If you're going to install games on it, then make sure that you arm it to the teeth so that next Christmas your computer's already out of date.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Foxle said:
The second machine is much like the first, except it's price is much more realistic for what you're getting. Some insight into what you are doing would be helpful. If you're gaming, then you'll need to make sure that your machine has a dedicated graphics card in it. If you're just going to be surfing the web and maybe doing some word processing, you might as well save yourself the money and get a Netbook.

Off at my college, I've seen a ton of people be dis-satisfied with their laptop purchase because they tried to buy a generic general purpose 15'' machine. These machines usually end up being too heavy/bulky to carry around and use in class, on a plane, at a cafe, etc, but they also end up usually falling short of a desktop's performance in terms of gaming.

You need to take a good long look at what you're actually going to be using your laptop for, and plan accordingly. If you ever plan on taking the laptop off your desk, then don't get anything over 13 inches. If you're going to install games on it, then make sure that you arm it to the teeth so that next Christmas your computer's already out of date.
Short answer: Yes, I will be playing high powered games.

So.... I've giving a lot of links, anyone want to give me one
biggrin.gif
?

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Foxle said:
i disagree. i have a 15" laptop, and i take it to uni everyday. it's not that heavy, and i find 15 inch to be the perfect size for a laptop (esp if ur gaming). 13 is too small, and 17 is too heavy. also, with the 9600 it has, i say its fairly equipped for gaming. it may not be able to run crysis or gta iv on high, but it can run pretty much everythin else. that's good enough for me.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
playallday said:
Can't I just buy the graphics card and put it in? Wouldn't that be cheaper?

No you cant change the graphics card of a laptop.

There isnt a lot of room inside of them, they are designed specifically around each ones set components. Plus if you did manage it you would probably encounter tons of compatibility/heat/power issues etc

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
p1ngpong said:
playallday said:
Can't I just buy the graphics card and put it in? Wouldn't that be cheaper?

No you cant change the graphics card of a laptop.

There isnt a lot of room inside of them, they are designed specifically around each ones set components. Plus if you did manage it you would probably encounter tons of compatibility/heat/power issues etc
Wow, this really makes me look like a first time laptop user
tongue.gif

Could the GeForce 9200M GS run most games on low settings?

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
playallday said:
Could the GeForce 9200M GS run most games on low settings?
well look at it this way, look up the games u wanna play, and c if the minimum requirements are 256mb (which is what urs is). i would say yeah, u should be able to run most games. but once again, i would say wait a bit, and maybe u can find another gem like mine

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
playallday said:
What do you guys think about this one?
o god..the graphics card is horrible. r u planning on doin some intense gaming or no?
The 9200 is only a tiny bit better, and thats not saying a lot since both are pretty bad.

And no, you're not gonna do much modern gaming. Cod4 on low is as much as you can do.

Heres a decent gaming laptop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220393

and heres the same one with a penryn c2d http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220461

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have an 9300M G and in all fairness I have to say that is sucks kinda
tongue.gif
. RA3 runs on fairly proper settings (say medium), and most things run okay. All in all if you want to game on your laptop (for a while longer) you will have to look in a segment a lot higher.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.