Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
European home computer owners from the 80's may remember the absolute Mario Bros rip off "Great Giana Sisters" on their cassettes & floppy disks and also remember the game being taken off the shelves due to the publishers being scared of Nintendo (rightfully) sueing their asses.

IT RETURNS TO THE DS!

Company blurb:

"t was a little bit more than 20 years ago when a game was born that still is a synonym for a whole gaming genre: The Great Giana Sisters made Jump’n’Run gaming available for home computer users all over the world. In 2009, the blondes finally return – and with that, they make it all the way to Nintendo DS for the first time.

Back in the late 1980’s, there was literally no chance to play Jump’n’Run games on home computers like Commodore 64, Amiga or Atari ST. Until 1987, when a small German development team released The Great Giana Sisters.

Their father, Armin Gessert, let them become stars of the genre over night. The Great Giana Sisters was a Jump’n’Run that had everything home computer gamers back then only could experience on video game consoles: A fantastic game world on many different levels, that challenged the players’ hand eye coordination skills to their maximum to jump over deep canyons, collect bonuses and succeed when fighting enemies just by jumping on their back.

Now, The Great Giana Sisters are finally back! Publisher dtp entertainment and developer Spellbound Entertainment in co-operation with Bitfield are going to release their new adventure on Nintendo DS in June 2009. In more than 80 levels, players experience all the great features of the original home computer version, as well as new features, that are kept exclusive for Nintendo DS. Players will have the Nintendo DS microphone as well as the touchpad, for instance.

The Great Giana Sisters’ graphics on Nintendo DS both is a redesign as well as reminiscent of the classic game.

dtp entertainment is going to release The Great Giana Sisters DS for Nintendo DS in June 2009.

lol it wasn't no classic but to us C64/Amiga/Atari owners it was the (at the time) the closest thing to getting Mario on our machines. To be honest its sort of not wanted seeing that we have Mario Bros on the DS and we can play his classic adventures through GBA too but still...I guess it'll be worth a download just for the sake of it.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Amiga RULEZ lol
smile.gif

Its a cool game and No doubt it will be a good few hrs wasted on this on ds when it gets here ....

can play this already on my phone as they released a J2ME JAVA version
smile.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of this. Apparently it was a complete ripoff and they were sued to take it off the shelves. Kind of weird that they would bring it back. Was it any good?

BTW, apparently the original game received a homebrew port on DS:

http://www.ndshb.com/cgi-bin/cfiles/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,2,154

Oh and I found a video for the new official version:

My only complaint is a complaint I have with many DS games- it could have been easily been done graphically on the GBA or even Genesis/SNES. Other than that, I actually like its looks! And the art style kind of reminds me of Cave Story.

Maverick_z

When did i join again??
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember this game, played it so many times with friends on C64. I also think I have a copy of it, the C64 version though I have to look for it.

Looking forward to this

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My god, I remember these. And that video of the gameplay, it looks absolutely delicious. Finally a proper 2d mari-- err.
Definitely playing this when it comes out!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit the video makes the game look a million times better than the original! The original was kinda too slow.

I love how the ripped off NSMB bottom screen.

PyroJames

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember this game on C64. Back then, it was such an awesome shock to see a Mario-esque game on the C64. I still remember seeing this game for the very first time with my friends. An older student in my school was playing it and we kept begging him to copy the game for us.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over