1. 4,877

Front-page
    GRAVEN, the dark-fantasy action-adventure FPS co-published by 3D Realms and 1C Entertainment with development by Slipgate Ironworks, launches on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and PC in 2021.

Revealed at Realms Deep 2020, GRAVEN delves into a gruesome medieval world of deities and monstrosities as a disgraced Priest of the Orthogonal Order. When a heretical member of the Order sacrifices the Priest’s adoptive daughter, the Priest lethally retaliates in a bout of righteous fury. Tried and found guilty by his brothers and now exiled to the burning sands, he closes his eyes for one last prayer, for peace. The Creator speaks to him directly: “You will have to earn your peace.”

Heed the Creator by hunting down the foul heretical sects responsible for conjuring plagues and twisting the natural order of the seasons. Blending action, exploration, and puzzle-solving, GRAVEN takes cues from classic shooters, immersive sims, and action RPGs alike. Journey across three expansive, open-ended regions, and scour the lands to purge evil.

Carefully observe a reactive world to find the way: with a journal, the player drives the exploration instead of following waypoints. Listen to townsfolks’ woes and slay the monsters responsible for their torment. Banish over thirty distinct enemies from plagued madmen to swamp beasts with powerful sorceries such as wild blasts of lightning and scorching rays of flame. Solve environmental puzzles with those same powers, altering the world with spells.

Wield destructive conventional weaponry, including magic staves and wrist-mounted crossbows. Find hidden gold to upgrade weapons and spells at blacksmiths and alchemists. Return to previously-plundered areas with new abilities to uncover secrets and entirely new areas. With more than 30 weapons and spells, GRAVEN encourages experimentation. Play solo, with one friend in split-screen co-op, or even in a party of four online for complete arcane chaos.

GRAVEN began as a game we had often dreamed of,” said Frederik Schreiber, vice president of 3D Realms and Game Director on Graven. “‘What would a spiritual successor to a Dark Fantasy series such as Hexen, have looked like if it was made in 1998 in the original Unreal engine?’ We think the answer is GRAVEN. We hope you do too.”

GRAVEN will be available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and PC in 2021.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Inbox
    :arrow: Graven Official Site

Gunstorm, Henx, Chainhunter and 7 others like this.
  2. Discussion (32 replies)

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    WOW that looks like SHIT! no doubt this one will run fine on the switch because it's still using the same dated engine as the originals.

3D realms had a chance to modernize this classic and the failed miserably. no that IS NOT the answer!

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Sep 5, 2020
  4. lordrand11

lordrand11 The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.

United States
    I mean quite a bit of the games charm is its dated graphics. Did you say the same thing about Warlock and all the other Classic style FPS' that have come out?

Personally I wouldn't mind playing a new Witchaven game.

5. scroeffie1984

scroeffie1984 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    if they do i big box pc version i hope it wil be the game on a dvd and not a digital key like they did with command and command and conquer remastered

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 Endless Trash
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I must be old. I watched the trailer and thought to myself "oh wow, that looks neat". The original UE had a certain gothic "grit" to it that's lost in the modern iterations, looking at the stone walls immediately reminded me of the castle from the Unreal intro.

Memoir, Chainhunter, p1ngpong and 4 others like this.
  7. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Maniac

How do I thumbs down a post?

Jonna, Gunstorm, DaFixer and 3 others like this.
  8. mehrab2603

mehrab2603 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I was scrolling down not paying much attention and as I briefly noticed the thumbnail, I thought this was a new Soul Reaver game almost giving me a heart attack. Man, how I long for a new Soul Reaver :cry:

Rail Fighter, Foxi4 and tyrantnyx like this.
  9. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Neat, will be interesting to see how favorably it compares to Amid Evil (amazing game if anyone is looking for a spiritual successor to Hexen to play now).

Silent_Gunner and phreaksho like this.
  10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Did they ever finish Wrath?

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 Endless Trash
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Yeah, Nosgoth wasn't exactly what everyone's been waiting for. At this point I'll even take a remake of Soul Reaver 1, gets the new kids hooked first. Game's legendary, I'm surprised people aren't clamoring for a follow-up.

mehrab2603 likes this.
  12. phreaksho

phreaksho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    More like a successor to heretic but yea, that game is wonderful. I'm actually excited for this to be a thing:lol:

vincentx77 and Xzi like this.
  13. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Still early access. They add like one weapon and level every 4 months or something lol

Memoir likes this.
  14. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

United States
    Somebody got filtered. :^)

15. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    That's so dumb. The game has potential. I enjoyed it, but refunded it right after I beat the demo because development was so scattered..

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm more of a fan of the "Boomer Shooter" genre because most of the titles that come out don't have the tendency to be a steaming pile of shit. Do they look dated? Sure.. but the gameplay is fun and keeps me entertained. If I wanted a good looking game where I stare at the graphics or take my time? I'd go for story driven action titles or even some adventure or RPGs... FPS titles? Nah.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  16. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Fan

Angola
    This game was kinda good, but Doom and Wolfenstein where way better.

17. 2short

2short GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    How old are you, 12?

I think it looks like a lot of fun!!

18. rehevkor

rehevkor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Looks pretty sweet, I'll certainly check this out.

Yeesh. Swing and a miss there pal. The "retro shooter" genre has surely passed you by.

Last edited by rehevkor, Sep 6, 2020
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Wow, you sir won the prize of the more stereotypical millenial statement of the day, congrats.:toot:

Less time on graphics means more time on gameplay, old geezers are pleased :grog:.

DaFixer likes this.
  20. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    What, you want this to become Reddit?

There's a part of me that thinks @Bladexdsl is a troll. Possibly @Reploid's alt!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So much this. I had tried Reelism on GZDoom on my PC a long time ago, and thinking about it earlier today made me want to go and get my hacked Switch back up and running so I could set GZDoom up on it and play it on the go at some point when things open back up!

I really should figure out multiplayer with GZDoom at some point...

Memoir likes this.
  21. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    they had one fucking job remake hexxen 2 with glorious HD visuals OR a proper hexxen 3. but they couldn't even do that. every company now is trying to be nintendo just keep releasing the same dated shit and get away with it. enjoy playing this dated shit on your switch with windows 95 graphics. i won't even be pirating it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Sep 6, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Realms’, Spiritual, Successor